• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

What is the highest resolution photo scenery achievable

Country
australia
I have another question Gary.

You have mentioned the use of a TIF image file for the water and blend masks.
I had been using a BMP file for each saved as a 24 bit image (which I read somewhere) but you mention TIF nor BMP images for the masks.
I decided to try TIF and exported the masks as TIF image files yet they ended up about 33% larger (filesize) than 24 bit BMP files.
Is there an advantage in using TIF files for compiling the BMP file?

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-3#post-781732

I will 'deep six' the tutorial at https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX/page42 and use "Make Photo-real Ground Textures in Flight Simulator X" tutorial I linked you to by Luis Feliz-Tirado.
It's a real pity that there isn't a tutorial which covers everything - I would buy it if there was.

1. YES already done
2 (1) a Not sure why this is necessary apart from to identity file later - please explain if there is another motive
2 (2) a I don't have ANY season variations at this time so I leave as SBX 'populates' them ie all the same I also do not have a night variation at this time so ditto.

BTW: This does NOT create an INF file with sections/parameters for water and blend mask, well not as far as I have noticed in the past and so I have added them manually (this was what I meant in an earlier reply to which you suggested that I use SBX to do ...which it doesn't; <but> if it does let me know what I need go do to rectify that).

I attempted to upload the INF file but it is not a supported file type for upload and I can't be bothered going to the CMD prompt to change it manually so here it is:

[Source]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "L18X81856X81884Y178953Y178966.BMP"
Variation = All
NullValue = 255,255,255
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 49.4926606111111
ulxMap = -123.793945305556
xDim = 2.6822093510528E-06
yDim = 1.74232700892888E-06

[Destination]
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "Photo01"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 100

Very uninteresting as I do NOT have any 'variations' at this time.

Yes removing the NullValue parameter is probably the best solution although I can very quickly 'select' EVERY area in an image with a 255,255,255 color and 'recolor' them just as quickly.
I am, although' wondering why the roof of that building (originally color 255,255,255) shows as red if that color was being used sort of as a transparency as the underliying colour is GREEN (the default FSX trees).

I love a break :)

Hi John:

If, in your present configuration, you are not using any Seasonal or Night texture 'variations', that INF 'may' work OK for you with a NullValue; however I would advise not using a NullValue when a Blend Mask is also used and referenced in a INF for SDK Resample. :pushpin:

[EDITED]

I will see if I can find some available free time to see what under-documented procedures may be required to ensure that "SBuilderX will automatically integrate the blend and/or water mask in the custom ground" as stated in the Luis Feliz-Tirado tutorial "Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX" ...as cited again below. :scratchch

(LATER...)

After a quick review of the tutorials by Luis Feliz-Tirado at PTSIM and in his downloadable package, it is clear that he had already provided worked examples for source file naming in his documentation:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3435&sid=149d43d81037e5d3f796c9eca2a170dc

[Make_Photo-real_Ground_Textures_in_FSX install path]/Make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_FS_X.html#Making_custom_textures

"To add blend masks or water masks to your custom ground, you can create them using the original image as a basis, and then save them with the same name, but using a suffix to indicate this. The files should be saved as TIF images, for example:

original image - L17X132735X132743Y90177Y90183.BMP

blend mask - L17X132735X132743Y90177Y90183_B.TIF
water mask - L17X132735X132743Y90177Y90183_W.TIF

Make sure that those files are in the SBuilderX\Tools\Work folder even if the original image is in another folder, and SBuilderX will automatically integrate the blend and/or water mask in the custom ground."

NOTE: The file name prefix must also be consistent among all source files for both masks and Seasonal / Night Variants, as seen in this example INF file within that same tutorial:

[Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX install path]/Make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_FS_X.html#multi-source_inf_file

...SBuilderX should then be able to generate the INF file itself, so that the end user need not do so manually, and can proceed via the SBuilderX GUI with compiling a BGL via SDK Resample. :wizard:

BTW
: According to Luis Feliz-Tirado's tutorial "Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX":

"SBuilderX will automatically integrate the blend and/or water mask in the custom ground"

Thus, the Water Mask and Blend Mask will automatically be found / used during BGL compilation, even if not listed in SBuilderX' {Seasons} dialog entries or the INF file.

CAVEAT
: AFAIK, this will only work if the Water Mask and Blend masks are included as Alpha Channels within the DAY image source file, when that DAY (Summer Season) image is a TIFF (*.TIF) or Targa (*.TGA) texture image file format.

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-781736

I have another question Gary.

You have mentioned the use of a TIF image file for the water and blend masks.
I had been using a BMP file for each saved as a 24 bit image (which I read somewhere) but you mention TIF nor BMP images for the masks.
I decided to try TIF and exported the masks as TIF image files yet they ended up about 33% larger (filesize) than 24 bit BMP files.

Is there an advantage in using TIF files for compiling the BMP file?

IIUC, you instead meant to type: "for compiling the BGL file"

...to which I would reply with a question: Did you mean aside from- or in addition to-:

* reduction in size of the source file work data set submitted to SDK Resample ?

...and/or:

* reduction in size of the resulting BGL output by SDK Resample ? :scratchch

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-2#post-781390

IMHO, rather than using a 'higher-Bit-ness' version of a Water Mask or a Blend mask, or using 'only' a Blend Mask instead of having both a Water Mask and a Blend mask, it is best to keep such 'masks' separated into (2) distinct functions via (2) separate mask files, each defined via "Channel" parameter values within a SDK Resample "multi-source" INF: :alert:

Water Mask: 1-Bit Black (RGB 0,0,0) and White (RGB 255,255,255) only {=(2)-'indexed colors'}

BlendMask and Water Mask: 8-Bit gray-scale from Black (RGB 0,0,0) to White (RGB 255,255,255) {=(256)-'colors'}

[EDITED]

NOTE: Final output source file format for TIFF Masks must actually be 8-Bit gray-scale; see:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789447

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-2#post-781467

IMHO, Land-Water vs. Blend Masks should be maintained as separate files.

[EDITED]

Water Masks should define Hydro areas with pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) and Land as pure White (RGB 255,255,255).

Water Masks should be saved as 1-Bit 'Indexed Color' Black & White only TIFF files; any transparency will be lost.

Water Masks should also be saved as 8-Bit gray-scale using only (2)-'colors' Black & White only TIFF files; any transparency will be lost.

NOTE: Final output source file format for TIFF Masks must actually be 8-Bit gray-scale; see:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789447

Blend Masks should IMHO define default Land Class with pure Black (RGB 0,0,0) and transition into custom Land class (ex: photo-real aerial imagery) over the desired distance on ground via a gradient of progressively lighter gray-scale values and become pure White (RGB 255,255,255) in areas that one wishes to be fully visible in the custom area.

Blend Masks should be saved as 8-Bit 'gray-scale' TIFF files; any transparency will be rendered via a 256-step gradient.

Blend Masks can be "dithered" via ex: Floyd-Sternberg dithering methods to reduce "banding" in 8-Bit gray-scale gradients

Please convert Blend and Water Mask files from 24-Bit color BMPs to 8-Bit gray-scale '(256)-colors', and please also convert Land-Water Masks to 1-Bit B-&-W '(2)-indexed colors' TIFF files ...as described in the context of the above quoted original discussions within this thread. ;)

Assuming you are still using GIMP, perhaps these documentation links may serve as a reminder of available options:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-change-mode.html

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html

Additional optional criteria are included below for readers using other graphics applications for the above conversions. :pushpin:

Blend and Water Mask 8-Bit gray-scale '(256)-colors' TIFF should, IMHO, be configured as:

* NO compression, whether FAX - CCITT 3, Huffman Encoding, LZW, PackBits etc.

* RGB NOT CMYK

* NO ICC sRGB Color Space Profile Embedded

* Optimized NOT Custom Palette

Water Mask 1-Bit B-&-W '(2)-indexed colors' TIFF files should, IMHO, be configured as:

* 2-Indexed Colors (Black and White only); NOT RGB or CMYK

* NO IIC sRGB Color Space Profile Embedded

* 2-Indexed Color palette (Black and White only); NOT Optimized or Custom Palette

[END_EDIT]

IMHO, do NOT use 24-Bit color BMPs for Masks (...unless you want to end up with unnecessarily large aerial imagery BGL sizes !). :duck:

BTW: "Photo0#.BMP" 1-piece background imagery 'map' output by SBuilderX, however, should be a 24-Bit color non-RLE Windows BMP.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

In answer to your first reply (regarding INF files for blend masks) I take note of your comments and what Luis has advised in his tutorial but I am happy to manually modify my INF to add relevant code. I have done that successfully up to date and not had a problem.
I will take on board that method though.

In answer to your second reply.

Yes of course a BIG typo (BMP instead of BGL).

I was referring to just the filesize of the TIF mask file. When I exported my masks as TIF images they ended up as 938Mb in size and when I exported as 24 bit BNF files they are only 703Mb. I didn't go any further (and compile to a BGL) so have no idea if that (filesize) would change.

Please convert Blend Mask files from 24-Bit color BMPs to 8-Bit gray-scale '256-colors', and please also convert Land-Water Masks to 1-Bit B-&-W '2-indexed colors' TIFF files ...as described in the context of the above quoted original discussions within this thread.
Yes I will do that but is there any advantage in doing so (maybe smaller source/mask files? Only?)
Once again I was following one of the tutorials you have mentioned in the past (I am beginning to think I should naver have done so).
I have had no obvious problems so far in not doing so.

IMHO, do NOT use 24-Bit color BMPs for Masks.
When I exported my masks as Windows BMP I selected 'Do not write color space information' in the Compatibility Options as suggested in 'that' tutorial (mentioned above). Is that the same as NOT using 24-bit color?
Anyway I will do as you say in your previous reply.

BTW: A "Photo*.BMP" 1-piece background 'map' output by SBuilderX, however, should be a 24-Bit color non-RLE Windows BMP.
Where do you 'control' that? I have not yet seen anything 'inside' SBX regarding that. Is there a 'preference setting' or do you need to import the BMP file created by SBX into an image editor and export as a a 24-Bit color non-RLE Windows BMP? (Should) have I read that in a tutorial somewhere - so many variables to remember.

LASTLY (something new but going back to something covered previously) ie removing NullValue = 255,255,255 from the INF file created by SBX.
I am wondering why the 'default' is to add it to the created INF file by SBX when it can cause problems (in the photo map file contains areas of pure white) OR are there situations where the user would WANT it in the INF file?

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-781782

Thanks Gary

In answer to your first reply (regarding INF files for blend masks) I take note of your comments and what Luis has advised in his tutorial but I am happy to manually modify my INF to add relevant code. I have done that successfully up to date and not had a problem.
I will take on board that method though.

Thank you; I'd find that an appropriate concession on your part after the amount of time and effort I have been investing in your troubleshooting process here, to see you 'go the full distance' and test this recommendation, that, IMHO would help not only yourself, but the other readers of this long thread, who may also have been mystified about how to get SBuilderX to semi-automate their custom photo-real aerial imagery land class BGL production.

Please "be the first one on your block" ...to provide a "worked example" for others to learn from here ! :teacher:

In answer to your second reply.

Yes of course a BIG typo (BMP instead of BGL).

I was referring to just the file size of the TIF mask file. When I exported my masks as TIF images they ended up as 938Mb in size and when I exported as 24 bit BNF (BMP ?) files they are only 703Mb. I didn't go any further (and compile to a BGL) so have no idea if that (file size) would change.

They will get smaller when converted to 8-Bit gray-scale and 1-Bit B&W TIFFs, as we are not simply converting a 24-Bit BMP to a 24-Bit TIFF format. :pushpin:

Please convert Blend Mask files from 24-Bit color BMPs to 8-Bit gray-scale '256-colors', and please also convert Land-Water Masks to 1-Bit B-&-W '2-indexed colors' TIFF files ...as described in the context of the above quoted original discussions within this thread. ;)

Yes I will do that but is there any advantage in doing so (maybe smaller source/mask files? Only?)
Once again I was following one of the tutorials you have mentioned in the past (I am beginning to think I should never have done so).
I have had no obvious problems so far in not doing so.

Smaller source/mask files, which would result also in smaller output BGLs from SDK Resample.

If non-lossy LZW compression (available for the TIFF format only) were also used, you could include an even larger photo-real coverage area with:

* a less complex work-flow

* less likelihood of exceeding the USERVA limits of SBuilderX and SDK Resample

* manageable BGL size(s).

IMHO, do NOT use 24-Bit color BMPs for Masks. :duck:

When I exported my masks as Windows BMP I selected 'Do not write color space information' in the Compatibility Options as suggested in 'that' tutorial (mentioned above). Is that the same as NOT using 24-bit color?
Anyway I will do as you say in your previous reply.

No, it is not the same; that is to prevent GIMP from writing out a BMP file format incompatible with SDK Resample.

BTW: A "Photo*.BMP" 1-piece background 'map' output by SBuilderX, however, should be a 24-Bit color non-RLE Windows BMP.

GaryGB

Where do you 'control' that? I have not yet seen anything 'inside' SBX regarding that. Is there a 'preference setting' or do you need to import the BMP file created by SBX into an image editor and export as a a 24-Bit color non-RLE Windows BMP?

(Should) have I read that in a tutorial somewhere - so many variables to remember.

I merely mentioned it because IMHO, at some point, you and/or others are likely to experiment with using another graphics application to export a BMP file intended to be compatible with SDK Resample.

LASTLY (something new but going back to something covered previously) ie removing NullValue = 255,255,255 from the INF file created by SBX.

I am wondering why the 'default' is to add it to the created INF file by SBX when it can cause problems (in the photo map file contains areas of pure white) OR are there situations where the user would WANT it in the INF file?

The 'default' is to add it to the created INF file by SBuilderX when one has not yet populated the {Seasons tab} of the SBuilderX Map Properties dialog with the images intended to be used, and when one may not yet have implemented a Blend Mask or Water Mask.

Based on your latter replies here, you have not yet prepared the Seasonal / Night variation images, nor the Masks; so you thus far will only see what SBuilderX outputs in that source file scenario.

But you 'may' see that SBuilderX will change what is written in the INF output after using Seasons / Night variations and Masks. :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thank you; I'd find that an appropriate concession on your part after the amount of time and effort I have been investing in your troubleshooting process here, to see you 'go the full distance' and test this recommendation, that, IMHO would help not only yourself, but the other readers of this long thread, who may also have been mystified about how to get SBuilderX to semi-automate their custom photo-real aerial imagery land class BGL production.

Please "be the first one on your block" ...to provide a "worked example" for others to learn from here ! :teacher:

Sorry if I offended you Gary. I did say "I will take on board that method though."
Right now believe it or not, I am also trying to get everything together for my 6 week European trip starting on Sunday.
And that reason is why I in an earlier reply (to something you mentioned about creating 3D models) I mentioned that I might do that one day in the future.
I WILL work through that sometime but now I cannot give any promises at least for the near future regardless of it assisting other readers.
I DO GREATLY appreciate all your replies and recommendations.

They will get smaller when converted to 8-Bit gray-scale and 1-Bit B&W TIFFs, as we are not simply converting a 24-Bit BMP to a 24-Bit TIFF format.
When I exported as a Tif file (in GIMP2) I did NOT see anything about change to 8 or 1 bit. The ONLY thing I can see is using IMAGE>MODE>GRAYSCALE. Is that where you change to an 8 bit grayscale image? Where do you change to a 1 bit image?
It's probably just a learning problem (of a new piece of Software). I am very familiar with PSP (where I would just have selected GREYSCALE and then IMAGE>DECREASE COLOR DEPTH and then select 2 COLOR or 256 COLOR).
[added later]
BTW I 'bit the bullet' a few days ago and invested in PSP X8 (I have X2) for a very cheap price and it handles memory far better and so I can create layers with vary large image files. I will use PSP X8 for anything new in future. I don't quite understand RASTER and VECTOR layers - would it matter which type I chose to create for water and blend masks?

I completely understand that if saving to a TIF image file 8 bit and 1 bit file files will be HEAPS smaller. Once again I didn't notice in my haste that there were those options. Haste maks Waste ;)
Interesting that using 8 and 1 bit also results in a smaller compiled BGL (got it right that time :))

But you 'may' see that SBuilderX will change what is written in the INF output after using Seasons / Night variations and Masks
Aha! I will have to check that out but probably in 7 or 8 weeks.
I am currently thinking about how to modify the photo image so that the colors better match surrounding default FSX scenery.
I have read others have just tried modifying the brightness and/or contrast but I might want to recolor as I did when I started with just a photo image of the Sechelt golf course (the fairways and putting greens were a terrible hue/shade). That too will probably be looked at in 7 or 8 weeks.

I am extremely happy with how the shallow water (from my photo scenery) looks in FSX (AND there is water movement as well in those areas) so much so that I am considering doing photo scenery on the eastern shores just to get the shallow water which is far more extensive than on the west shore. Although one would not normally have their user aircraft in those areas as they are no where near the water runway and taxi areas, it's just a challenge.

Maybe I should take a printed copy of all the documents on the aircraft to try and fill in some of the 21 hours I will be in the air.:(

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Considering that your departure for a duration of 6 weeks is imminent, it is IMHO far more important to prepare for that, so I shall be compelled to de-empahsize replies to this thread to help you 'resist the temptation of distraction' from an important priority of quality time with your spouse.

I'd also encourage NOT taking along anything related to FS Development to read on the plane, as it is more important to enjoy "real life" on such an occasion as you have planned.

Upon your return, you'll likely "need a vacation after your vacation"; so by all means, please take any and all time that you need to learn new things, and work at your own pace with whatever you find makes you satisfied with your project.

When you're 'ready' to graphically enhance your aerial imagery and derivative images for Seasonal and/or Night variations, that will be a good investment of your time, and will likely bring you increasingly greater satisfaction with your project.

It will be fun, some time in the future, to see how your Sechelt project looks if- and when- you are ready to show it to the FS community ...in an 'even more enhanced state of completion'.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Looks like I will have to take my Clive Cussler novel instead eh, even though it takes up more room. The tutorial might help with insomnia better though during those long hours 5 miles high:scratchch

Country
australia
Hello again Gary,

I have been tidying up my files and remembered you stating the following-
Water Masks should be saved as 1-Bit 'Indexed Color' Black & White only TIFF files; any transparency will be lost.

I had previously employed your suggestion (successfully) to use 256 gray scale TIFF files for the BLEND masks to save file space and decided to create 1-bit Black & White only TIFF files for my WATER masks.
I did this using GIMP as follows -
I converted my water mask layer using IMAGE>MODE>INDEXED>USE BLACK AND WHITE 1 BIT PALETTE, removed the alpha channel and exported as a TIFF file.

The file created was MUCH smaller than my previously created file (which I is a 256 gray scale TIFF image). It was 22.1Mb instead of around 256Mb. I also could display it so it looked ok.

I then attempted to 'compile' the INF file using RESAMPLE. Resample refused to use it stating "cannot open.....".
I tried one of my other photo scenery areas and the same thing happened.
It seems that RESAMPLE cannot 'handle' a TIF image which has been created as a 1-bit 'indexed color' black & white only TIFF file OR have I created my (water mask) file incorrectly?

Could you or anyone else comment on this please.

Thanks

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

I will have to find the source for my inference of an option to use 1-Bit TIF Land-Water Masks with SDK Resample. :scratchch

Thus far I can only find statements by Luis Feliz-Tirado and Adam Szofran which refer to 8-Bit TIFF Masks, which I inferred as meaning when such Masks are separate source files on disk submitted to SDK Resample via the INF file, and not as Alpha channels: :pushpin:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3416

If I am unable to find my original source, I shall likely have a busy day tomorrow editing some of my old posts ! :yikes:

In the mean time, please use 8-Bit TIFs with LZW compression for smaller Masks / BGLs with a SamplingMethod = Gaussian parameter value. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Gary

No need to spend time. I just thought that you would have the answer "off the top of your head" as you often seem to have.

Looking at the posts you referred to (url) I quickly saw the following -

Resample accepts a limited number of image formats.

I will continue on with that thread.

Anyway there is no problem. It's only a small amount of disk space (for the TIFF mask file) and who knows if the resulting BGL file is smaller and if so by how much.

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

You may note that the series of posts by Luis Feliz-Tirado in the above thread I had linked to: :pushpin:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3416

...was subsequently the basis of the Luis Feliz-Tirado tutorial: "Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX"

Make photo-real ground textures

sendfile.php

File Description:
It is very easy to create your very own high-resolution, custom (photo-real) ground textures. This document explains the concepts and techniques and illustrates the use of SBuilderX with which you can quickly and easily download aerial images and make this type of scenery. So, why hesitate? Make Flight Simulator scenery as real as it gets! Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_fs_x.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 21st November 2009, 23:20:06
Downloads: 17714
Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
Size: 2143kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

FYI: The GIMP work-flow I posted above:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-781748

...was intended to force GIMP into into Indexed 2-'color' mode so that the resulting colors used for a Land-Water Mask shall be ONLY pure Black (RGB0,0,0) and pure White (RGB 255,255,255) in the event that a developer for whatever reason had chosen gray-scale palette 'colors' other than pure Black (RGB0,0,0) and pure White (RGB 255,255,255).

That also would prevent 'unpredictable' results when, a developer had attempted to 'save work' by applying the SamplingMethod = Gaussian parameter value in the INF for a Land-Water Mask, to the exact same 8-Bit gray-scale TIF source imagery as would have been used for the Blend Mask.

BTW: The GIMP docs I cited above:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-change-mode.html

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html

...explain procedures to change file format 'modes' before output during an editing session.

Those same GIMP docs I cited above, allude to GIMP being capable of (many- but not all-) file format 'mode' changes during output after an editing session.

However, what those 'color' mode changes may be as a function of file format changes during "Export" may be challenging for most end users to research and understand via the GIMP online help documentation.

[EDIT]

So, at this point, I believe it would be best to identify a 'best practice' work-flow for Land-Water Masks in GIMP ex:

Blend and Water Mask 8-Bit gray-scale '(256)-colors' TIFF should, IMHO, be configured as:

* RGB NOT CMYK

* NO ICC sRGB Color Space Profile Embedded

* Optimized NOT Custom Palette

1.) Image → Mode → Indexed < “Convert Image to Indexed Colors” dialog opens >

a.) In “Convert Image to Indexed Colors” dialog > ColorMap > tick "Use black and white (1-bit) palette"

NOTE: Leave 'Color Dithering' set to "None", and do not check the checkbox next to 'Enable dithering of transparency'

b.) Click [Convert] button

2.) GIMP Menu > File > Save

3.) Image → Mode → Grayscale

4.) GIMP Menu > File > Save

5.) GIMP Menu > File > Export < “Export Image” dialog opens >

a.) Click [+] next to "Select File Type (By Extension)"

b.) Scroll / Select... File Type: TIFF image Extensions: TIF, TIFF

c.) Click [Export] button < “Export Image as TIFF” dialog opens >

(1) In “Export Image as TIFF” dialog > Compression: tick LZW; click [Export] button

[END_EDIT]

I believe it would be another helpful contribution to the FS Developer knowledge base for other prospective GIMP users if you tested this work-flow with your files to verify that it works, then reported your results back in this thread. ;)

I will then edit my posts here and elsewhere at FS Developer (citing use of 1-Bit 2-Indexed 'color' B+W TIF format etc.) to further explain how one might best use GIMP to in a way that ensures consistently successful results when creating Land-Water and Blend Masks for SDK Resample that are not only submitted in 8-Bit gray-scale TIF file format, but also optimized for minimal source and BGL file size. :coffee:

Thanks in advance for your help with providing a 'worked example' for the SDK Resample Masking process using GIMP. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hello Gary

I did what you suggested and it worked HOWEVER the resulting file size of the WATER mask file was no different from the one I created when I just converted the layer to 256 grayscale.
I take in what you said that by converting to a 1-bit black and white image initially and then converting to a 256 grayscale image FORCES the layer to contain ONLY black and white ig any other colors or shades or gray inadvertently will be stripped out.
That however was not what I understood when you suggested many replied ago to convert the water mask to a 1-bit black and white image and save as a TIFF file to SAVE SPACE.

Anyway for the benefit of others here is my work flow (I hope it is what you wanted Gary and that it is not too detailed)-

Using GIMP to create a WATER MASK TIFF image.

1) Create a water mask in the usual way (ie using the satellite image as a background, ADD a transparent layer naming it WATER MASK, select that layer and then use a BLACK BRUSH tool with a 'hardness' of 100 so that you ONLY paint over the areas of water with pure black).

2) Save your GIMP 'project' (ie SAVE AS or SAVE if you are adding to an existing 'project').

3) What I next do (it is up to you) is to temporarily DELETE ALL LAYERS except WATER MASK layer. I do this as it speeds up the following procedures probably because the there is less data in memory. You do NOT have to do this if you don't want to and if you do MAKE SURE you do NOT SAVE your GIMP project otherwise you will lose all the other layers which you temporarily deleted (above).

4) Select the WATER MASK layer

5) REMOVE the alpha channel (the transparent layer) by using LAYER> TRANSPARENCY > REMOVE ALPHA CHANNEL. You should see the transparent parts (two tone small grey squares) replaced by white eg
transparent layer removed.jpg

5) Convert the WATER MASK LAYER to a 1 bit black and white image (select IMAGE > MODE > INDEXED then select USE BLACK AND WHITE (1 BIT) PALETTE. Leave REMOVE UNUSED COLORS selected (ticked) and COLOR DITHERING set to NONE.
This step is performed to ENSURE that the mask contains only black and white
This step can take a LONG time if you don't temporarily delete all other layers as described above.

6) Convert the WATER MASK LAYER to GRAYSCALE (select IMAGE > MODE > GRAYSCALE.
This step is necessary is RESAMPLE cannot work with 1 bit TIFF images.

7) EXPORT the WATER MASK as a TIFF image (select FILE > EXPORT AS, then type in a relevant file name, then select FILE TYPE (BY EXTENSION) and select TIFF IMAGE then click on EXPORT.

8) You will now have a TIFF file containing your WATER MASK which can be added to you .INF file for compiling into a scenery BGL file using RESAMPLE.

9) I suggest that you now either EXIT GIMP selecting DISCARD CHANGES or UNDO every step you took in this exercise (select EDIT > UNDO CONVERT TO GRAYSCALE then select EDIT > UNDO IMAGE TO INDEXED and so on until you have reversed all the DELETE LAYER) otherwise you might end up with a GIMP project which does not contain all the layers you originally had).

Regards

John

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789396

Hello Gary

I did what you suggested and it worked HOWEVER the resulting file size of the WATER mask file was no different from the one I created when I just converted the layer to 256 gray-scale.

I take in what you said that by converting to a 1-bit black and white image initially and then converting to a 256 gray-scale image FORCES the layer to contain ONLY black and white ig any other colors or shades or gray inadvertently will be stripped out.

That however was not what I understood when you suggested many replied ago to convert the water mask to a 1-bit black and white image and save as a TIFF file to SAVE SPACE.

As I have stated in prior posts, I personally am not a GIMP user, and I am attempting to identify a work-flow from the GIMP online documentation and the Tiberius et al tutorial, to try and help you and others.

Also, my limited available free time does not allow personally learning and testing GIMP work-flows.

But I do appreciate your efforts to expand a knowledge base on using GIMP to create Masks for SDK Resample.

As with the proposed GIMP work-flow above, my earlier 'conceptual overview' was not complete, since I do not have the hands-on experience from working with GIMP; I personally prefer use of 'other' graphics applications.

Perhaps I should offer a reminder that my past and present efforts here with posting researched info on GIMP, may best be regarded as 'proposed' processes which, despite different tool names and methods, may parallel a work-flow I use in other (different) graphics applications.

Thus, I do expect that GIMP users should go through the actual steps to verify a successful work-flow that they find best suits their individual preferences.

In your case, you have a goal of minimizing source and BGL ouput file size, so we must be certain to use LZW compression in the GIMP TIFF Export process.

Please note that I have now edited to add what I believe may be necessary steps used in GIMP, to achieve your above goal of minimizing source and BGL output file size ...in my post above: :pushpin:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789365

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789396

7) EXPORT the WATER MASK as a TIFF image (select FILE > EXPORT AS, then type in a relevant file name, then select FILE TYPE (BY EXTENSION) and select TIFF IMAGE then click on EXPORT.

8) You will now have a TIFF file containing your WATER MASK which can be added to you .INF file for compiling into a scenery BGL file using RESAMPLE.

Apparently you did not test the LZW option in the 'Compression' sub-section of the “Export Image as TIFF” dialog submitted to you by GIMP during the latter steps of the TIF file format Export process ? :scratchch

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-images-out.html

https://docs.gimp.org/2.2/en/gimp-images-out.html

Again, I believe it would be another helpful contribution to the FS Developer knowledge base for other prospective GIMP users if you tested this work-flow with your files to verify that it works, then reported your results back in this thread. ;)

I will then edit my posts here and elsewhere at FS Developer (citing use of 1-Bit 2-Indexed 'color' B+W TIF format etc.) to further explain how one might best use GIMP to in a way that ensures consistently successful results when creating Land-Water and Blend Masks for SDK Resample that are not only submitted in 8-Bit gray-scale TIF file format, but also optimized for minimal source and BGL file size. :coffee:

Thanks for your help testing a 'worked example' for the SDK Resample Masking process using GIMP. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

Yes I had incorrectly assumed that you were "well versed" in the use of GIMP. Sorry about that.

Apparently you did not test the LZW option in the 'Compression' sub-section of the “Export Image as TIFF” dialog submitted to you by GIMP during the latter steps of the TIF file format Export process ?
I did test LZW compression but that was when I was attempting to 'compile' with a 1-bit TIFF (water mask) file which I have earlier suggested was not compatible with RESAMPLE. It resulted in a TIFF file of less than 1Mb (instead of about 22Mb for a non compressed file) but I am NOT out to create the very smallest usable files.
All this started a long time ago when I remarked on the size of my files(especially the output BGL file) and you suggested exporting masks to TIFF files which certainly made a BIG difference in file sizes.
I thought I read somewhere NOT to use any compression BUT maybe that was for the BACKGROUND satellite image which I could understand. There has been so much information and suggestions that I can't remember exactly. I also wonder if 'compressing' a water mask would make any difference to the size of the BGL file.
I will redo my work flow example and include using LZW compression "if required to save file size but not necessary" or similar if required HOWEVER I have recreated my WATER MASK (as described in my work flow) AND USING LZW COMPRESSION. The water mask TIFF filesize went down from 32MB to less than 1MB) BUT after I recompiled (RESAMPLE) the output BGL did NOT reduce is (file) size. So using compression seems to onlt save a bit of disk space for the actual water mask TIFF file.
Do you still want me to add that to the work flow?

Again, I believe it would be another helpful contribution to the FS Developer knowledge base for other prospective GIMP users if you tested this work-flow with your files to verify that it works, then reported your results back in this thread.
That is EXACTLY what I did and the reason for my 'work flow' in my previous post (above) which I created as I actually worked through a real file. Maybe I should have also entered at the bottom "This is the exact method used to create my water mask file which I used to successfully compile my latest photo realistic scenery (BGL) file'"
I didn't think that it was necessary to also show the work flow of creating an INF file and add the water mask file and then how to compile it using RESAMPLE.
I (maybe mis)understood what you wanted me to do as I thought that it was just my workflow creating a water mask using GIMP.
I will create a work flow of the entire process if required.

Let me know what exactly is required and I will do my best.

Regards

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Nothing is "required" of you ...by me, or anyone else here at FS Developer forums with regard to preparing any summaries, wikis or tutorials for your individual work-flow. ;)

Any contribution you have made- and may still make in the future- to the FS Developer community knowledge base for this topic of creating Masks for SDK Resample is entirely at your discretion. :)

I shall try to allocate some additional time to edit my posts here and elsewhere, to clarify that SDK Resample requires that TIFF source files for Masks processed with a SamplingMethod = Gaussian parameter value in the INF, must in their final output format, be submitted as 8-Bit, 256 gray-scale files.

I will also clarify that 'intermediate' configuration of the Land-Water Mask image format into 1-Bit Indexed 2-color Black (RGB 0,0,0) and White (RGB 255,255,255) is intended to 'force' the proper use of the RGB values required for proper Masking when the developer wishes to minimize source file and BGL file size.

I shall additionally clarify that optional use of LZW compression in TIFF source files for Masks may further reduce source file and BGL output file size, but that use of the LZW option for non-mask imagery may be at the expense of a considerably longer SDK Resample task session duration. :pushpin:

Congratulations on achieving Mask creation for your Sechelt area scenery project via the above 'Raster-based' methods. :cool:

PS: Perhaps at some point in the future, I may find some time to author a tutorial on the use of 'Vector-based' methods via the initial creation of color-based Raster "Selections" with the Magic Wand Tool, that are converted to Vector "Paths", which are converted into flood-filled Black-and-White-only Raster color Masks ...without intermediate use of the multiple steps involved in exclusively Raster-based methods detailed in your own work-flow above, and in the Tiberius et al tutorial. :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited: