• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

"3D Canvas" Modeling Package

Messages
177
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

http://www.amabilis.com/products.htm

Anyone any info on this regarding exporting to FS?? In another thread regarding life after gMax, this was raised as a sensibly priced alternative to 3D modeling. I personally like the idea of the 3D rendering capability, too (don't want 3D Studio Max at $3500 as I wouldn't get the usage fitting of such a price-tag) but do want to create 3D renders for other uses.

As always, looking at FS first, but if it is any good, I'll seriously consider the $$$ for it.

There is a demo available, which I'm trying, but it isn't "full-feature".

Best regards,
Robin.
 
Last edited:
You will find it very different to gMax.
In my experience, anyone used to one 3D package finds it incredibly difficult to change to another.

3D canvas has been used by the MS train sim 1 community for many years. There is a new Trainworks version that can export models to many train simulators including the EA Rail Sim, Trainz, BVE & MSTS1. It has several plugins that assist modelling for trains.

Since MS Train SIm 2 is based on FSX, I have a prototype exporter plugin for FSX that generates a GUID, exports to the correct X format, applies most of the material options and automatically calls xtomdl to generate the mdl file.
I'm still working on the attachment options.

For basic models it works fine, I'm still ironing out the bugs at the moment.
http://amabilis.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7046019974/m/12410443241?r=12410443241#12410443241

I'm trying to mirror a locomotive tutorial by Mike Porter of ACEs, using 3DStudio
http://portergraphic.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
With the same model built in 3D canvas
http://decapod-3d.spaces.live.com/blog/
We've not got very far yet.
 
Back
Top