• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 3DS Max using Prepar3D_PBR Material

Country
unitedstates
When using the Prepar3D_PBR material for mappings I want to be able to see my textures dull and not see the effects which is causing all the objects to look like chrome. How can i turn off the effect for viewing purposes?

Country
unitedstates
UPDATE:

I found the way our paint company painted our project and setup the material settings they do not turn on "Metallic Map Has Reflectance". This seems to make the texture in 3DS MAX look like the standard texture for visuals as it brings back the blue channel.
I will have to test to see the difference in the sim.

UPDATE: 6/1/2020

Does not make any difference in the sim since there is no blue channel. But it sure helps to have enabled in 3ds max so i can see the textures as they should look and not super chrome like.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
NEW INFO FOR P3D_PBR TEXTURES:

I also found that when using DDS or BMP for the sim textures you must convert the files using DXT5 and not DXT1 for the Metallic and the Normal textures. This is because these 2 types of textures actually have an alpha map. The Albedo can use the standard DXT_1 which saves on file size. If it was me making the textures i guess i would have known 2 of the three textures had an alpha channel.

This threw me for a loop because i was thinking like the old days where an alpha channel was for visibility window type of textures.o_O

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
NEW INFO FOR P3D_PBR TEXTURES:

I also found that when using DDS or BMP for the sim textures you must convert the files using DXT5 and not DXT1 for the Metallic and the Normal textures. This is because these 2 types of textures actually have an alpha map. The Albedo can use the standard DXT_1 which saves on file size. If it was me making the textures i guess i would have known 2 of the three textures had an alpha channel.

This threw me for a loop because i was thinking like the old days where an alpha channel was for visibility window type of textures.o_O

I believe that has always been the case, but glad the "light" or channel showed you the way. ; )

Country
unitedstates
I believe that has always been the case, but glad the "light" or channel showed you the way. ; )

No before PBR days you just needed to export textures as DXT 1 which saves on file size. The quality will not be effected. DXT 5 was for textures with alpha which i already knew and these were textures that needed to have some visibility like glass. What info i was sharing is with PBR days 2 of the 3 textures even if no visibility glass the textures will always have an alpha channel. And that is what threw me off.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Even before PBRs materials, DXT1 can have an alpha channel used as well, but used as a mask., both pure white and pure black (transparency).

But, I was referring that PBRs have always used DXT5, especially for the metallic map.

Country
unitedstates
Even before PBRs materials, DXT1 can have an alpha channel used as well, but used as a mask., both pure white and pure black (transparency).

But, I was referring that PBRs have always used DXT5, especially for the metallic map.

Yes i am aware that DXT 1 can have an alpha channel. This can be useful for making masks that hide specific areas and not others.
This post is about PBR and so i was having issues because of how i have a habit to assume i only need to use DXT 1 when not using alpha channels. And that had me stumped until the light did shine!:yikes:

Last edited: