_xtomdl error

Hi All,
I've been quite happily using various versions of FSDS, now on 3.5.1.
I put together some buildings and sent bgl & textures off to FSX. So far OK.
Later I modified a texture and somehow managed to introduce an all-over black, which I assumed was an alpha sneaking in. (I had no transparent textures.)
In FSDS, all textures were bright green, in FSX everything black.
I deleted the texture file, made a replacement, cleared the texture from FSDS texture list, and re-applied the replacement texture.

Did a modeldump, and found the non existent texture still listed. (?)

Failed to create bgl!

The error report reads as follows:

OutputFile: _temp.MDL
Output file after modification: _temp.MDL
Creating output MDL file: _temp.MDL
CRASHTREE no granularity specified
CRASHTREE completed in 00:00:00.0156001
(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
(0): error : System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 348, position 50.

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityReference()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.LoadFile(Stream InputStream, XPartDict PartDictionary)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.XmlToMdlLib.Process(Guid& ModelGuid)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
(0): error :
(0): error : An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 348, position 50.
(0): error :
(0): error : Stack Trace:
(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res)

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityReference()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

(0): error : at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.MDLProcessor.LoadFile(Stream InputStream, XPartDict PartDictionary)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XmlToMdlLib.XmlToMdlLib.Process(Guid& ModelGuid)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)

(0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know whether the report can be accepted in plain English, because once I accidentally included a texture file that wasn't 1024x1024 (1024x1020 or something) and the error report told me that I had animation problems. There weren't any animations in that project.

I've checked every part and polygon for texture, and all seems OK.
I made a copy of the project, then deleted parts one by one until there was only one box left. I got precisely the same error except that the 7th line varied around "line 348; line 351 etc..."
I deleted the final box, so there was nothing to compile; added a new box, and finally, the error was gone.
Any ideas, or do I start rebuilding those 5500 polygons again?
I don't THINK the number of polys is causing the error, as it was fine at around 5400.
 
It is surely not because the number of polygons. Try to start a new project from nothing and see what appends during compilation. You can also post your FSC file here; I will check it in my FSDS.

If your mdl was originally compiled with MakeMDL may be there is a part baldly named somewhere...
 
Thanks for your response, Jean.
MakeMDL not used.
This is the only project I have this problem with. As mentioned, I even deleted all parts and put a new part in the same file name, and it compiled properly.
I've also imported the fsc into MCX and can see it properly, but when I try to compile the bgl to FSX, it sends an empty mdl instead.
fsc uploaded with this.
 

Attachments

I downloaded your zip.

The problem is the name of "Building textures & signs_32.bmp"

You need to remove the "&" from the name as I think this is the cause of your problem.

Select EDIT/MANAGE TEXTURE LIST and then select the texture and use GLOBAL RENAME. I changed it to Building texturessigns_32.bmp and was able to compile the model with no problems.
 
I downloaded your zip.

The problem is the name of "Building textures & signs_32.bmp"

You need to remove the "&" from the name as I think this is the cause of your problem.

Select EDIT/MANAGE TEXTURE LIST and then select the texture and use GLOBAL RENAME. I changed it to Building texturessigns_32.bmp and was able to compile the model with no problems.
Anthony, you're a whiz!
Would you believe that since uploading, I've gone through every part and removed anything that was not an ordinary character, but didn't think of the "&" in the texture.
Followed your advice and it's compiled OK. BTW, I've tidied up a few things since that upload. When I learn how to do ground tiles, I'm planning to put the lot up on my website, Airspeed's Flying Visit. I've already used ADE to do the "tide out" beach and runways and decorated the surrounds with a few people and vehicles, and I've been quietly pleased with the progress.
Once again, a huge thank you.
Cheers, Mike
EDIT PS Thought it was in my profile here, but it's not. AFV is here:http://airspeedsflyingvisit.webplus.net/index.html
 
Last edited:
Top