Air2asm ??

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Mike,
The P3D SDK has sample .asm files. They are the same as the ESP files published when MS opened their kimono and revealed the basic content of air files about 5 years ago.
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/LearningCenter.php
SimObject SDK
Flight Models
Sample air files
PistonSample.asm
The tokens that will interest you are the ones I mentioned earlier. They are at the beginning of the asm file under "Required Aerodynamics".
There is no 1101 equivalent in the samples, although the stock airplanes like the Bombadier CRJ-700 do have 1101 in their airfile, albeit it contains almost all zeros.
Ed said
Actually, the complete contents of 1101 are undocumented
. It is true that the "COMPLETE" contents of 1101 are undocumented officially. There is abundant unofficial documentation. Certainly, all the aerodynamic coefficients are sufficiently documented. If you want some good reading I recommend Yves Guillame "Flight Dynamics in MSFS"
Roy

Let me rephrase: I asked Lockheed-Martin to provide us with documentation that described all the values that 1101 contains. They responded that they would love to, however there is no documentation (not even Microsoft has any) on ANY of the values in REC1101. So, while we have unofficial documentation, there's no documentation for that record like there is for other records in the SDK.

Thanks Roy and WarpD. I've had a closer look at the sample .asm files today and I guess it won't be too hard to use them in combination with AAM/AirUpdate/AirMerge to produce .asm files for the various existing aircraft. It is good to know that there is no documentation on 1101, in that I now know I am not missing some "easy" way of doing what I want, through not searching wide enough.

I will get to work with the tools available. Of course I could use Flightgear instead of P3D, as it's all open source, but I am interested in P3D because we are considering buying a simulator (enclosed cockpit etc.) and most of them use either P3D or X-plane. X-plane seems to be great for trial and error Aircraft Design, as you can make a new aircraft very quickly in PlaneMaker, but it seems harder to relate to what we teach, as it is not stability-derivative based.

Thanks again.
Mike

hey @everyone
i'm working on a project and i wanted to add some cars to the flight sim
can some one help me with the air file to make the car turn as real car and stay on the ground
i tried the default TAXI that come with P3D v4 but they didn't make it well
hope you help me guys thanks in advance :)

i still use aired. any reason why not to? everything works. I just had to add the new tables manually (if I cared; not required;; the older tables have lower resolution)

Let me rephrase: I asked Lockheed-Martin to provide us with documentation that described all the values that 1101 contains. They responded that they would love to, however there is no documentation (not even Microsoft has any) on ANY of the values in REC1101. So, while we have unofficial documentation, there's no documentation for that record like there is for other records in the SDK.

why do we need those documented? they are all standard coefficients.