• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Aircraft speed - deploying flaps /

Country
germany
Look, when I fly with default settings, the aircraft feels like... hmmmm... hard to explain
I can't feel the aircraft, it's heaviness, roll, pitch, etc
I'll keep testing with the tailwheel

Country
us-ohio
If I were angry, I would not post at all. Honest. As for "feels much better"... here's something to consider regarding how the F4U Corsair flies:

The F4U Corsair was one of the great fighters of World War II — one of those classics that captures everyone’s imagination.

But the Corsair was “a difficult airplane to fly” said retired Marine Maj. Walter Attebery in a 2004 interview. “It demanded your constant attention, even when cruising in smooth air at altitude. You needed to master the Corsair, but when you did, it performed superbly.”

“It was tough landing on the carrier,” said retired Marine Col. John J. Geuss in an Oct. 13 interview. “It didn’t fight well at altitude. But at medium heights and down low, the F4U Corsair was a world-beater.”
Source: https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/classic-wings-the-f4u-corsair/

Country
germany
Okay
Let me ask you something, please.
What exactly do you modify for the aerodynamics, flight model ?

Country
us-ohio
That's a question that I can't answer. It has no context to be honest. My response would be WHY do I need to modify anything? If there isn't a valid why... nothing should be changed.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Hawk,
WarpD is right as usual. If you do not know what characteristic needs to be changed and to what extent you should leave it alone. Read what I wrote this morning. Work out what needs to be changed, find out how to do it and have a well documented go, changing one thing at a time. There are 55 data tables that affect the aerodynamics of the flight model. On average each table has about 10 values for each parameter. In most cases changing one value will create a change in another. You can decide that most of what you have to start with is probably OK and concentrate on the more obviously wrong aspects.
You need to have a working knowledge of aerodynamics to start with. You need to have performance documentation on the subject airplane or base it on something similar. It is a science and not an exercise in tweaking.
As to handling improvements, start off by adjusting the sensitivity of your joystick and zero out any dead zones, then you will have a clearer feel for what lies beneath.
Roy

Country
unitedkingdom
I think we need to recognize MSFS is a 'game' and part of that game is people wanting to tweak the parameters and seeing how the aircraft reacts - a response "you know nothing about aerodynamics so don't do it" is unlikely to motivate people to experiment with the sim. TBH I've blocked WarpD because his/her posts have never contained any specific MSFS advice I could actually use and I find the tone generally patronising.

There has been a significant transition to MSFS after 20 years of fs2004/fsx, so we are much more in need of good forum posts that illustrate specifically how to do sometimes simple things in MSFS - I make an effort to do this.