• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Airspace definitions tool?

Country
unitedkingdom
Airspace definitions inc comms data is pretty crucial to correct working of any ATC system. Being a bit p*ssed off with my atc prog (VoxATC) telling me to do things that really werent proper because the default definitions were wrong I decided I wanted to update the airspace definitions that came hard baked with the sim (in bnxworld01.bgl). So, I removed the default data for the entire UK from that fileset and recreated it.

To do so manually would have been a royal PITA and I have zero prgramming skills, so I just created an excel spreadsheet that would use input cut and paste data from the UKAIP and output correctly formatted xml code ready to be run through bglcomp.

I imagine for someone who knows how to create the front end GUI and link bglcomp into it, it would be relatively easy to create a much more user friendly tool?

If anyone wants to take up that challenge or just see whether it would be easy enough to do I'm happy to freely share my excel sheet with all the logic and parsing detail in....??

Cheers K

Country
netherlands
It's not too much of an issue making one tool (I've done so some time back, in Pascal at the time, for Slovakia), the issue is you'd have to make it for every country separately because of different formats... at which point your excel spreadsheet doesn't look like a bad option time-wise

I do plan to get somewhat into C# though when some books arrive, so I might just take a look.

Country
unitedkingdom
I think I had in mind an app that would convert generic data to xml/compiled bgl, with plugins that allowed conversion of individual country published info to the generic data format first - thereby saving everyone from reinventing the logic repeatedly...?

Country
netherlands
Generic data, hmm. That could pretty much mean recreating the program all over again, except for the GUI... might be worth investigating. It could be worthwhile if input data definition could be simplified enough...

Country
netherlands
Update: so, evidently I got a bit screwed over regarding the book, but I'm still interested in this.