Alternative photoscenery program

Hey guys.

So I've been learning scenery design for the last few months, and I'm willing to actually start a project now.
However, I'm having trouble with SBX. It crashes a lot, it can only use Yahoo satellite at my version (still don't know why), and, if I want some detail, I will get a white image, so I can't zoom in too much.

These are too many problems to me to actually make it comfortable to work with. So, I'm curious, is there any good program to create photo scenery with? Payware or freeware doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Remco
Xtreme Development

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think most developers will just use resample directly to make their photo scenery.

It's not allowed to use Google Earth or similar providers for the photo scenery anyway, so once you find some imagery you can use, you can ften download it as GeoTIFF and use it in resample.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
What area of the world are you working on? Possible sources really depend on the area.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
For the Netherlands there is good open data. I'm not behind my PC now, I'll look up a link later.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor

Sent from my Lenovo A319 using Tapatalk
That works great for personal usage (like SBuilderX). But developers who want to share their work won't use FSEarthTiles or SBuilderX due to the EULA of the online image providers that doesn't permit redistribution.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't think I have seen a tutorial for it. But try something like this:

1. Load the WMS into QGIS
  2. Navigate to the area you want to make the photo scenery for
  3. Download that part of the imagery and save it as a GeoTIFF using WGS84 projection
  4. Use the samples in the SDK to create an INF file to compile the GeoTIFF file into a BGL using resample