P3D v3 Am I A Professional?

Considering the fact, that Prepar3D is a licenced flight simulator used for professional pilot training, how correct is it to tell people something like this:
Suppose am a scenery developer for P3D, or an aircraft developer, payware of course. And if someone asks me about my relation with Aviation, can I say "I am a software developer. We make softwares used for professional pilot training"? Can we say this? I mean, of course we can, but, how correct and honest is this statement?
Would like to know your views :).

Well, I don't know about you... but I can most certainly say that. Software I've written is on certified trainers all over the globe.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
The question is; "Am I a professional?"
The answer is; if you get paid for your work then you are a professional in that work. If you are unpaid then you are an amateur.
I try to maintain my amateur standing. :cool:

I agree with mgh in that it really depends on the definition of "professional."

I would define "professional" along the lines that the commercial work (at least on a contractor or employee level) that you did has a direct but sizable influence in a certified training organization (or other institute) that is recognized by the government or some accreditation organization.

I think Paul is right. If you get paid for your work, you are a professional. If you don't, you are an amateur.
I can fly a real helicopter, following all the aviation rules but if I'm unpaid, I can't tell I'm a professional.
I'm an amateur. I can say that I perform at a professional level though.
And if you go for a job interview and you say that you have professional experience, you will be asked to show
a contract or give some reference of the company (=paid).

can I say "I am a software developer. We make softwares used for professional pilot training"? Can we say this? I mean, of course we can, but, how correct and honest is this statement?
Would like to know your views :).
:twocents:

You don't have to be paid to be a professional, although most definitions state that. Your statement is about what you do, not what you are. One definition is "relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill" - so you could say you are a "professional software developer", but do you create the software specifically for "professional pilot training"?

Hehe... well I guess it depends on the context. In Spanish we use a similar word: profesional, which has more or less the same meaning.

If I'm talking to my friends, I can say "I'm a good cook, I'm a professional!". And if you are good at something you can feel like a professional.
But I think you are asking if you can tell in a formal context that you are a professional. I think you should only tell you are a professional if
you are paid for your work, or you where paid for it in the past, or you are in possession of some relevant education that allows you to
act as a professional.

In my case, I was a helicopter pilot in the Air Force until two years ago. Now I hold a CPL(H) licence... So I can tell I'm a professional pilot
although it's months since the last time I flew a real chopper... :banghead: