Amazing Cloud Tech

I fail to see any amazingness in that Hype Citizen video.
When they move the sun, that moon in the horizon it's an actual moon and the light it's all in real time... and you can fly there and walk on the surface. Not the first game to do that but pretty amazing if you think about

Heretic

Resource contributor
When they move the sun, that moon in the horizon it's an actual moon and the light it's all in real time... and you can fly there and walk on the surface. Not the first game to do that but pretty amazing if you think about
Still not convinced.

Well, actually the fact that it's a full scale universe is proably the more amazing. It's the equivalent of taking off from an airfield in FSX and flying up into orbit and then departing orbit and flying out to the rings of Saturn... without any actual transitional loading.

So... we're reaching the point where nothing surprise us anymore...?

(and we still use FSX as the main FlightSimulator on PC)

Heretic

Resource contributor
So... we're reaching the point where nothing surprise us anymore...?

(and we still use FSX as the main FlightSimulator on PC)
Yes. Especially since seamless transitions from planetary surfaces to orbit and beyond are already possible (Orbiter, Kerbal Space Program(!), No Man's Sky).

Heretic

Resource contributor
No Man's Sky definitely and if you count lifeless rocks as details, Kerbal Space Program as well.

When considering scale, however...

And things get more complicated when you add multiplayer to the mix.
I think that Star Citizen most ambitios tech is not a graphical one but a netcode solution to host a lot of player and semaless let they play in a world/universe without loading screens.

Only, there really isn't the possibility of starting at the moon (or any other celestial body) and drilling down to individual blades of grass in any of our current sims.

Of the more modern ones mentioned that do have the capability, the only one with the true to life scale necessary for a Flightsim so far is Outerra.

This video was taken just before Outerra added a life-sized moon at the correct distance to the program.

And more important,. Do we need all those details in a FlightSim?
I mean... having a single leaf or blade of grass rendered in front of our Cessna looks cool for some artistic photos and maye one or two videos... but we really donn't need those details in the world.
Outerra looks cool, but their world is empty. I like to see big cities, all the different roads and how they blend with the terrain, bridges and railroads, powerlines, small towns and settlements, farmlands and swamps.
Do we need that realistic moon? I say yes, because we can have a realistic night lighting when the moon is full or maybe we can tu fly at very high altitude and see the shadow of the moon over the terrain during an eclipse, that would be soooo cool... but again, it's just eyecandy

Not so empty as it once was......... ;)

They just recently used Osm to import a city and all of that country's road network. They are also apparently aiming for up to 5million buildings with a negligible framerate hit.......

Not really pushing Outerra specifically here, as they have far to go, but I suspect very few people here are keeping track of what they are up to.

In the meanwhile, yes, I'm very bullish on procedural generation, Volumetric clouds, etc.

https://twitter.com/outerradev

Last edited:
If they are using Unity, all those tech can be merged into one solution (Not totally sure of this but...)

Outerra engine is proprietary, but I guess that yes, that's the dream. An everything sim.

One of those things that many people will believe just can't be done. Right up until somebody finally does it.

Just hope I'm still around to try it out!