• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Another Export from 3ds Max 8 problem

Messages
108
Country
unitedkingdom
I've been going round in circles with this:
No matter what I do, I can not see my model in FSX at Sea-Tac (or anywhere else I set in the placement file xml).

*Scenery density set to "Dense" in the sim.
*I've tried exporting the Oil rig model without modification, but that doesn't appear either.
* LOD export tool says" .x file has no GUID or FriendlyName, the Max file does have them however. I've tried exporting to an X file from the File menu, as well as the LOD tool. It is as if the X file exports succesfuly, but without a GUID or FriendlyName.
*Another oddity that may be related- ACES Documentation and Aces Tools menus appear twice in 3DS Max! I've checked user paths under customise, and there is only one path that I made manually.
* my PC is set to dot for the decimal point, not comma.
 
Last edited:
How are you exporting the file?

I certainly hope you are using File/Export/Flightsimulator Direct X...
 
I am indeed using File>export... (and not mdl!)

Today I got as far as generating the x file without the LODexport tool thinking there are any problems.
So there are no faults, just that it doesn't show up in the sim.

I've updated the .net framework to version 3.5, and it has not made the slightest difference.

Below is the error message that XtoMDL gernerates. I have no idea where to look up the meaning of those codes.
XtoMDL_error.gif
 
Last edited:
Would anybody who can open 3ds max 8 files and knows that their installation can successfully export to FSX try this file for me? Ideally, can you return the bgl file so I can drop it in addon scenery to try again?

I've persisted with this problem for two weeks now, and am having to consider giving up on making scenery addons.:eek:
 

Attachments

Here you go. I suspect your problem with not seeing it in the sim is because you have only one LOD in the model. If you have only one, it must be LOD_400...
 
Last edited:
thanks very much n4gix,
I've amended the _LOD number, thanks
There is one big difference between your mdl and mine however, mine comes out at 0kb!

Is that right, if not...
any idea why that should be?
 
Last edited:
thanks very much. I have been to the point of despair on this, but talking to you guys has given me the feeling that I'm getting somewhere.

I'll let you know how it goes.
 
Latest: I have a 5KB MDL file.
Still can't see the model in the sim. I say can't... I can see its shadow!(see screenshot).
*scratches head*

Does running Abacus' World landscapes somehow hide the model?
seaTac_shadow.jpg
 
Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but do you have any missing textures or so? That could also prevent your object from showing.
 
I have re-checked that, so no- it's not a stupid question. The LOD exporter is supposed to include converting the Photoshop texture (it uses only 1 512px tile, no transparency or alpha map/channel).

Incidentally, I have not re-exported and the shadow has also disappeared. Good grief:confused:
 
Perhaps some muck got into the Max file, because today, I had some success. After re-setting Max, and merging the mesh in. Then make a new FSX material and apply the texture bitmap seems to have done the trick.
Seatac-church.jpg

Ironically, that Church mesh was only a quick test to check out the export technique, a check that took two weeks to sort out!
 
Last edited:
I have re-checked that, so no- it's not a stupid question. The LOD exporter is supposed to include converting the Photoshop texture (it uses only 1 512px tile, no transparency or alpha map/channel).

Incidentally, I have not re-exported and the shadow has also disappeared. Good grief:confused:

Several times you've mentioned the "LOD exporter..."

Oh, I see. It's a "Max only" script that's new for FSX SP2... Apparently it doesn't work very well! :eek:
 
Last edited:
Do you use another method?

Yes. Call me a "Luddite," but I simply use the normal Export or Export Selected, then manually create the .mdl and .bgl files...

I also manually convert my textures for use in the sim's appropriate \texture folder. :wizard:

I distrust "automated tools" that others have created (such as ACES programmers) for their own "in-house use." Invariably I've spent far too much time debugging their .ms scripts to get them to function correctly in my development environment... :eek:
 
Back
Top