• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Argg!!

Country
australia
My laptop crashed so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled everything from scratch...:mad::mad:
I've done firefix/office/etc, now I'm doing FS9. At least i had all my design work backed up...Whew!

Country
unitedstates
Oh man, I can relate from years ago losing everything. Now I just make complete partition images. Now if the unthinkable happens it's like one 40 min re-install and everything is back to the way it was. Programs and files.

Whew! At least you got the files.

Country
us-arizona
Sorry to hear.

Remember, when this happens, if you can, take out the HD (if its still good) and copy out the files via a jump drive link set (some only cost like $15.00 at large computer shops).

Making Images of your drive is best. If... it can read long file lines. If not, it will stall and not finish.

ClutchCargo, what do you use for an Image burner?

Country
unitedstates
I use Acronis True Image. I have been very happy with the results. One thing I particularly like is when I make a complete partition backup I can go back into it and pull certain files I want (or programs for that matter), without having to restore everything. Pretty cool.

I used to use Norton Ghost but of course when I needed it most it failed to recognize it's own backed up image so I said enough of this and went to Acronis.

I guess all these programs have some glitches... none seem perfect but overall I have felt "protected" with this program.

Hope that helps.

Clutch

P

PropTrash

I’m another Acronis user. Been with it since True Image 9 nearly 5 years ago. Can’t say enough good things about it, and unlike Windows “System Restore” - it’s never failed to restore an image for me.

Case in point, and Bill you’ll probably appreciate this after your troubles with animations and LOD models: last week I noticed that the 3D artificial horizon in my model was animating improperly on takeoff and climb. Just those two flight modes, it animated correctly at all other times, but went seriously wacky after applying power for takeoff. I wondered if I’d hit some kind of animation limit, since the same 3D instrument is also in the exterior model, but didn’t do anything about it beyond making a note of it.

The next day on startup I found that networking had died in Windows, and that network diagnostics wouldn’t run - Diagnostic Policy Service was dead and nothing I tried would restart it – so I fired up Acronis and restored an image. 10 minutes later I was back up and running with everything fixed. I didn’t realize just how much was fixed until the next day when I decided to look into the artificial horizon problem, only to discover it now animated perfectly! I’ve seen that kind of problem before when Windows XP went bad, causing gauge problems in FS2004, but that’s a first for Vista, since it usually runs for much longer before succumbing to “Windows Rot”.

So yeah, Acronis True Image - as far as I’m concerned it’s a “must have” utility for Windows users.