Autogen building texture

hi
i don't have the level to do what you asked but instead i have questions please :) :

1- i already made my autogen textures and but i couldn't find where to edit the roof textures [attached image ( not my texture just found it in my Texture folder of P3d) : i tried to edit the part that is in bleu but i still get the default yellow roof in my scenery autogens]

2- Can you please explain to me how Scene proc SET TEXTURES assign textures ? i mean is it by tiles or 2 by 2 KM so we can assign diffrent textures each Tile

or can we tell sceneproc to assign random textures [ like LIB object we give it 2 textures and it assign randomlly ]

thnx in advance

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have moved this question to the scenProc forum, as it more belongs there.

1. The roofs don't use the same texture as the walls. That was in FS2004. For FSX the roofs are actually library objects as defined in the roof description autogen configuration file. These use the textures as defined in the material autogen configuration file.

2. Autogen textures are set at the autogen tile level, so you can't set them per building. That's how the engine is designed. But with the scenProc SetAGNBuildingTexture step you can set a different texture for each tile if you want.

Hi,

I have moved this question to the scenProc forum, as it more belongs there.

1. The roofs don't use the same texture as the walls. That was in FS2004. For FSX the roofs are actually library objects as defined in the roof description autogen configuration file. These use the textures as defined in the material autogen configuration file.
/QUOTE]

Hi
how can i set roofs textures in sceneproc ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You don't set roof textures. They are linked to the roof models that you select by the guid in the buildings you use. So to change them you need to alter the roofs in the autgen configuration.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, you can do that. You can add new roof shapes with new textures.

is it a 3D model i have to o in 3DS cus just thinking of making it make it impossible as we never know how much are our buildings measures

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, it's a 3D model. The engine will scale it so that the roof fits on the size of the autogen building.

Hey it is not easy as i thought
i found two spb files : RoofDescriptions.spb and Materials.spb
i converted to xml and looked a bit and this is what i understood
i want to ask here before i test because first i can't test until next week and i may help someone who needs how to make autogens

So what i got :
1) make a 2D rectangle in 3Ds max | or make a small house roof
2) texture it and export it as mdl and BGL
3) go and add in the RoofDescriptions.spb file in the autogen directory of your sim : a new Guid / name / texture guid ( i'll talk about this one ) and FixedUVBias ( i can't get what this is for hope some one help :) )

4) in the Materials.spb file and use the default flight sim materials as samples and make your material
and assign a new guid to it that will be used in RoofDescriptions.spb file

5) now just use the Guid in RoofDescriptions.spb and the Engine will generate the floors and hight and will scale the model you made and use your textures
this is what i have in mind
next week i'll test it
Can you @arno Plz confirme or correct me plz
i want to be ready for it
thnx in advance :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes, the basic workflow is correct.
  1. You make a new roof model, texture it and export to mdl and put it in a object library BGL. Make sure drawcall batching is enabled, else the roof will not show.
  2. Add the new roof entry to the RoofDescriptions configuration file. Make sure to set the model GUID to your MDL file and the material GUID to the material definition you want to use. This could be a default one or a new one you added. The FixedUVBias is optional, but it can be used to make variations of the roof that use a different part of the texture sheet, without making a new model.
Normally the roofs are also placed in groups. And these groups are in regions. Check the default autogen configuration file. Not sure if you can call the entry directly or you better call the group. I usually use the groups as that allows for some variation in the roofs.

hey @arno
i'm with you in the idea of groups, that will make the scenery alive
just a question : you said [ the material GUID to the material definition ] is there any Guid for the materials in the MDL file or i can just generate a random Guid
thnx in advance :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The material in the mdl file is not used. If you make a new material in the material.spb file it needs a new unique guid.