• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Bad Road

Messages
32
Country
us-wisconsin
I am working on an airport with ADE and although the airport is in the correct location (in FS9 default scenery) there is a (default) road that is drawn in a wrong location. How would I go about getting rid of the bad road and putting in a correct one. I considered moving the airport but there are landmark mountains (default) next to it that would have to be moved as well.

The red line in the jpg is where the road should go - rather that going straight over the top of the mountain and through the airport.
 

Attachments

  • badroad.jpg
    badroad.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 779
Hi J,

You would need to "exclude" the original road and paint a new VTP line for the new one... SBuilder can do that for you...

Regards,
Scott
 
I tried to put down an exclusion rectangle with ADE9 and it did not exclude the road. I thought were limitations on what can be excluded in FS9 scenery. Are rge Sbuilder exclusions any different? When I looked at Sbuilder, it listed the same items as ADE9.

Jim
 
Hi Jim,

I've never really used the exclude in ADE... You need to know the layer number... I think it's 7 or something to exclude the roads... Also I think it's different between "default" roads and "UT" roads depending on which ones you use... I think the exclude removes the roads from the entire LOD cell worth of roads though - so yeah - you might need to redraw more than that little snippet... I'm not in front of my PC so I'm going on recollection... Someone else should be able to confirm...

Regards,
Scott
 
There are different types of exclusions.

In SBuilder the Exc button is for creating exclusion rectangles that you would use to get rid of default objects and autogen.

Exclusion rectangles do not work on VTP scenery like roads.

To exclude roads you have to use an exclusion poly, created with the poly tool.

There are some good tutorials that you can get here- http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/tutorials.html

I suggest you look at all of them, you will learn what a great and powerful tool SBuilder actually is.

cheers,
Lane
 
Thanks Scott and Lane!

I only looked at Sbuilder briefly - now I need to get serious. I will read all the tutorials.

Jim
 
Hi Jim,

Careful - this is how it starts - you want to move one little road - next thing you know you downloading photo graphics and custom mesh - spending countless hours building structures - and - having sleepless nights trying to thinks of ways to improve your project - that you plan to give away for free... It's a slippery slope - buddy...
:)

Good luck...

Regards,
Scott
 
I am still missing something...

I got Sbuilder to place a library object and I can see the object in FS9.

But when I create a poly and make it an exclusion poly it does not exclude the road. I tried layer 6 (which is what it says for roads) but the "road" is still there. I tried excluding all layers (in groups of 30 because scasm errored out with 32 or more layers) and it's still there.

I am beginning to think that the default road (maybe not really a road object but something else) is not able to be excluded by a VTP poly. Any ideas?
 
Hi Jim,

Do you have Ultimate Terrain loaded - as that's a different layer from default roads... I had to look to find it... I'll try and remember to check my home PC tonight and see if I can find the UT Road Layer...

Regards,
Scott
 
I found out where that so-called default road was coming from.

Upon closer examination of my addon scenery library, I found another scenery bgl loading for that airport. I guess that road is in that bgl. When I disabled that scenery folder, the road (and other terrain features) were gone.

I should have caught this days ago.

On the good side, this did force me to get Sbuilder working properly and I am impressed with it's capabilities. Thanks again Scott and Lane.

Jim
 
Congrats Jim - not knowing how much work you're planning - just don't waste your time on the SBuilder photo scenery function - I spent weeks on it and it doesn't support autogen - at least by any means I can identify... You need the SDK Resampler for photo scenery... Have fun...

Regards,
Scott
 
Back
Top