• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Been gone, what's new?

Heys, been away for some time from the FSX world due to my computer crashing. Finally got myself a newer Laptop. Win 10, I7 2.80 GHz, 16 Ram, and I can't find the video card info at the moment.
I'll start with downloading the basics, ADE, SBX. I have a box set of FSX that should have the SDK on it I need. I'm not sure how to get those off the disks. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Do you have a boxed set of FSX Deluxe or FSX Gold?

If the former you need to put disk one in the drive and drill down to the SDK folder, run "setup.exe". That will install the RTM SDK which won't do you much good, you'll need to install fsx_sp1a overtop that and finally the SP2 SDK. You need to install them in this order because the SP1a SDK installer won't run if it doesn't find a previous installation of the RTM SDK for example, likewise the SP2 SDK installer won't run if it doesn't detect a prior installation of the sp1a SDK.

If you have FSX Gold then you need to run setup.exe in the SDK folder from disk one as above, but then you need to put the Accel disk in the drive and go to the SDK\SP1a folder and install the sp1a SDK. When you've done that move up a level to just "SDK" and run SDK.msi. That's the accel SDK, the one you ultimately want.

Failing all the above install the P3D v1.4 SDK here.

Jim

If you have Gold you won't need to download anything, it's all on your disks and you'll end up with the Accel SDK as opposed to the SP2 SDK. The Accel SDK is the one I'm using and it still works fine for most things even up through P3D v4.5.

The P3D v1.4 SDK is generally recommended for FSX Steam or FSX Standard users because neither of those versions shipped with an SDK. I think it's essentially the same as the Accel SDK.

I downloaded Steam Edition. I heard they got the bugs out of it that the boxed version has. So, which SDK should I install, the boxed or P3D?