BGL_LIGHT view distance

Hello,

a simple question, really.

Is anyone aware of any way to force a BGL_LIGHT of any type to appear at distances of 8-10nm?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

As far as I know that is not possible. Some people place multiple lights at the same location to get them more bright. But the visibility is hardcoded AFAIK.

Brightness is not an issue, as it is, I would probably have to limit it.

Papi view distance, while not ideal, is acceptable, and will be pretty much acceptable when I tone the brightness a bit at higher end, so as to make the appearance less sudden (I will take the fallout for "invisible papi" even with it being as much of a simism as it is, that papi are to be bright), but what concerns me more, are the approach lights. Those should definitely be visible from the distances of ~15km in clear nights.

Anyway, I will figure out how to make it all right. Perhaps a terrain LOD with an alpha texture to show AFCAD lights at a distance, gradually switching to BGL LIGHTS as the airplane closes in.

jdberg

Resource contributor
Brightness is not an issue, as it is, I would probably have to limit it.

Papi view distance, while not ideal, is acceptable, and will be pretty much acceptable when I tone the brightness a bit at higher end, so as to make the appearance less sudden (I will take the fallout for "invisible papi" even with it being as much of a simism as it is, that papi are to be bright), but what concerns me more, are the approach lights. Those should definitely be visible from the distances of ~15km in clear nights.

Anyway, I will figure out how to make it all right. Perhaps a terrain LOD with an alpha texture to show AFCAD lights at a distance, gradually switching to BGL LIGHTS as the airplane closes in.
I used a colored 3D object with nighttexture and tweaked the code, so that it is only visible when the BGL LIGHTS nearly disappear. So you see the colored object in a greater distance. Its not perfect but helps you with the approach. I integrated this colored object in the same code as the BGL-LIGHTS so you have to place only one object.

jdberg

Resource contributor
Hi ?

sure, no problem for me to share my knowledge. In the attached ASM-files you find the complete code for a blue BGL Light with the replacement object at higher distance.
I additionally experimented with two different brightness of the BGL Lights. Thats the reason why you find two different BGL_LIGHTS lines in different distances.

You find the relevant code in the _0.asm file. Here are the lines that produce this "effect".

Hope that helps with your problem.
Jörg
------------------------------------------

IFIN1 mittelweit, RBIAS1, 3500, 9999
; Dann Kiste zeichnen
; draw the box here
DRAW_TRI_BEGIN 0, 24
DRAW_TRI 4, 1, 12 ; poly=1 part=1
DRAW_TRI 12, 15, 4 ; poly=2 part=1
DRAW_TRI 11, 22, 19 ; poly=3 part=1
DRAW_TRI 19, 8, 11 ; poly=4 part=1
DRAW_TRI 5, 16, 21 ; poly=5 part=1
DRAW_TRI 21, 10, 5 ; poly=6 part=1
DRAW_TRI 17, 14, 20 ; poly=7 part=1
DRAW_TRI 20, 23, 17 ; poly=8 part=1
DRAW_TRI 13, 2, 7 ; poly=9 part=1
DRAW_TRI 7, 18, 13 ; poly=10 part=1
DRAW_TRI 0, 3, 9 ; poly=11 part=1
DRAW_TRI 9, 6, 0 ; poly=12 part=1
DRAW_TRI_END
mittelweit label BGLCODE
IFIN1 darker, RBIAS1, 1500, 9999
BGL_LIGHT LIGHT_NAV, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0000000afh, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
BGL_JUMP_32 nolgt_1
darker label BGLCODE
BGL_LIGHT LIGHT_NAV, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0000000ffh, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
nolgt_1 label BGLCODE
BGL_RETURN

Attachments