• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender Blender 2.9 UV texture question

I used Blender 2.79 for a ton of work I did recently. I'm now evolving to 2.9 and wondered if the below is possible?

In 2.79, I always used the <filename.dds> as the texture, and the <filename.psd> or <filename.tga> as the UV map image. Even though the .dds files are always upside down that did not affect what I was able to see in my editor window since I was using a file that was right side up in the UV window.

However, in Blender 2.9, (I assume) the UV editor window uses the .dds file as the texture, (even though I selected an upright file in the UV window), and everything is upside down in the EDIT window. I would like to be able to set the .dds file as the texture and use a .psd or other file (that is upright) in the UV editor window as I did in 2.79. Is there something I need to enable or disable for this to happen?

Thanks!

TB2

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
If you have the textures already in dds format, why would you need to UV unwrap or edit it?

I have to assign surfaces to the texture. (Am I missing something?) I always selected the texture (dds) for the entire model and a similar (psd) file for the UV window. I really don't know how to explain it, but that's what all of the videos I watched did! (well, something similar to that).

TB

Pyscen

Resource contributor
The dds format would be the last step of the completed.texrures. The steps prior to that would be:

Creating the UV Layout by uv unwrapping the polygons or faces. At this time you are only creating what the textures will look like or the layout of. Creating the materials slots. Naming of the texture or layout should be with png or tga (or similar), but not dds.

Next would be taking that layout and either placing the textures in their designated locations or painting through either blender or a graphics editor (photoshop or GIMP). OR using Armour Paint or Substance Painter.

After the above compiling the textures.

At this point you should have dds files to place into their designated slots within the toolset within blender. Compile through the toolset to create the model and or bgl scenery file.

Hopefully, I haven't missed a step.

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, that was as clear as mud LOL! But through my stubbornness and tenacity, I finally figured out what to do and successfully exported a model with textures. I was having great difficulty in using alpha channels, (seeing them properly in Blender) but I figured that out. I probably did it “wrong” or took a long approach, but it works.

I’m going to search, but is there a video or tutorial on how to use the “new“ exporting methods for Blender 2.9?

Thanks again for all ”you” do!

TB2