• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS blender animation issue after .dae export via MCX

Hi Arno,
With the agreement of an author, I proceed to the adaptation of an FSX model for MSFS.
I currently have an unsolvable problem in blender after exporting the mdl to dae via MCX.
The file opened in MCX is correct, the right and left legs of the main gear are displayed correctly.
When opening the .dae file in blender, the legs are incorrectly positioned and it is impossible for me to replace them and reproduce their animations correctly.
Can you tell me how to proceed?

Many thanks

In MCX :
Jean
F1_MCX.jpg

F1_MCX2.jpg

dae file importation in blender :

F1_Blender_dae.jpg

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I suggest you try the same procedure using the stable release of MCX. Sometimes we encounter transformational discrepancies with the development release. You probably already understand that the animations will not transfer through the Collada format. The biggest issue in that regard, imo, will be overlapping parts, like suspension oleos and torque links. I see some linkages there, that will be a fun challenge, but if you're proficient in Blender, it should be very doable.

Ok Rick,
I will try with de stable release.

Yes, i know for the animations not transfering though the Collada format.
the front gear did not pose too many problems and works after adding animations.
These animations are complex: they combine distinct rotational movements on the different parts of the leg

Edit : bad news: same result with the stable version :banghead:
:banghead:

Last edited:
Country
ukraine
The most difficult thing in the correct adaptation of models is the initial location of the axes and pivots in the main model and hierarchy. In the mdl model for old models, they are located so that the Y axis looks towards the nose of the model in MSFS, it is initially deployed. Also, parts in the mdl and animation hierarchy can have objects with inverted axes and transformation pivots not reset to zero. Also, many difficulties arise with mirrored in the 3D editor and inverted parts. The worst thing in this situation is that all this is stored in the model and objects and it is really possible to change it only in the source code. Another bad point is the fact that even if you manage to change or add animation in the process and do it right, then with a large number of changes, the entire structure can scatter at any moment. This is not a problem with MCX, it is the model itself that is built in the editor in this way, or even possible errors in it are laid down and remembered initially from the source.

To build animation and use it in the MSFS gltf model, in order to avoid nuances, I would recommend the entire model, the objects of their axis, to be completely built and corrected directly in the 3D editor Blender or 3D MAX. Then excesses with memorized positions of the axes or the initial coordinates of the animation will not occur.

The most difficult thing in the correct adaptation of models is the initial location of the axes and pivots in the main model and hierarchy. In the mdl model for old models, they are located so that the Y axis looks towards the nose of the model in MSFS, it is initially deployed. Also, parts in the mdl and animation hierarchy can have objects with inverted axes and transformation pivots not reset to zero. Also, many difficulties arise with mirrored in the 3D editor and inverted parts. The worst thing in this situation is that all this is stored in the model and objects and it is really possible to change it only in the source code. Another bad point is the fact that even if you manage to change or add animation in the process and do it right, then with a large number of changes, the entire structure can scatter at any moment. This is not a problem with MCX, it is the model itself that is built in the editor in this way, or even possible errors in it are laid down and remembered initially from the source.

To build animation and use it in the MSFS gltf model, in order to avoid nuances, I would recommend the entire model, the objects of their axis, to be completely built and corrected directly in the 3D editor Blender or 3D MAX. Then excesses with memorized positions of the axes or the initial coordinates of the animation will not occur.
Yess, you are right, it must be due to the pivots that will have to be redone.
The animations of other parts had to be redone with other values of positions and rotations.
The only ones that remain wayward are those damn train legs.
Starting tomorrow, I'll see the whole thing again.
Jean

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

As MCX does not write the animations to the DAE format, things like pivots and such are indeed lost on the export. It might even be that the gear is combined with other parts if they use the same material. So you would have to redo the entire animation indeed.

Hi

Yes Arno, the problem being that, for example, the nose gear has all its parts correctly assembled (of course not animated) when exported to dae.
In this case, the reproduction of the animations is "easy".
The main trains have parts that are no longer in place and there, it becomes very difficult to redo the animations identically.
I separated the parts, then assigning them new origin points and reproducing the animations as best as possible.
But impossible to take back the original ones.

All other moving parts of the aircraft lined up correctly in dae, except the right and left landing gear.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That's interesting. The DAE exporter should remove the animations before exporting, but that should not cause displacement of parts.

I just checked the dae.
In fact all the pieces are well placed, but badly oriented, with the exception of 3 pieces.

main_gear.jpg