• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender2P3DFSX for Blender 3.x

Country
us-texas
I have tried numerous times to get this program to install in Blender 3.5.1 without any luck. I browse to the correct folder, highlight the zip file, select "install from file" select ok and. . . . . . .Nothing. Any suggestions?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

What is meant by "Nothing"? After you have installed it, you will need to activate it. - If you have activated it, how did you do so?

Country
us-texas
Hello

What is meant by "Nothing"? After you have installed it, you will need to activate it. - If you have activated it, how did you do so?
Senior moment Doug. I've been working with two versions of Blender (2.70 and 3.5.1). 3.5.1 is the version I want to start learning but a tutorial I found uses ver 2.70 so that's the one I need to start with so I can follow along with the tutorial and at least get an idea of how to start. Soooooo, it's ver 2.70 that won't install the Tool kit. Again when I click to install it just sits there, never installing.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Unfortunately, the current toolset version (v1.0.3) will not run with Blender v2.70. I can't remember which version of the toolset will (if any). Which Tutorial are you referring to?

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Unfortunately, the current toolset version (v1.0.3) will not run with Blender v2.70. I can remember which version of the toolset will (if any). Which Tutorial are you referring to?
It's a tutorial by Krispy1001, done years ago that takes you through the basics of setting up a 3view of a very basic airplane and each step beyond to model the airplane, add a VC, doing the various animations and so on.

After some additional consideration I have decided to forego trying to work with that early version of Blender and try to figure out how to start with the latest version. My only 3D modeling to this point has been with Sketchup as I have basically been doing airport scenery for many years and have always wanted to see if I could move to aircraft modeling as well. I have no idea where to start with Blender and the tutorial by Krispy seemed like a great place to start and get my feet wet.

Last edited:
Country
canada
Blender 3.4 plus has breaking changes to the shader node naming and input output structure. I'm afraid Blender 3.3 is the max you can use for the ASOBO (ver 1.3.0) in the current state. The legacy Vitus one the max is Blender 3.1

Country
us-texas
Blender 3.4 plus has breaking changes to the shader node naming and input output structure. I'm afraid Blender 3.3 is the max you can use for the ASOBO (ver 1.3.0) in the current state. The legacy Vitus one the max is Blender 3.1
Thanks Ron. Actually what I am doing, and the reason for even getting into Blender at all is to update a current model. DaveWG did a model of "Little Nellie" an autogyro used in the film "You only Die Twice". I was successful in converting it to native FSX and I have imported it into Blender in hopes of updating some of the modeling and adding a working gauges panel (it has a VC but no placeholder for gauges). I was hoping that the Krispy Tutorial would give me enough of a start that I could then go to work on the Nellie.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Resource contributor
@ronh it appears that you are talking about MSFS?

What you say about "Blender 3.4 plus has breaking changes to the shader node naming and input output structure." is true, but they don't make any difference to exporting a textured .mdl with version 1.0.3 of the toolset for P3DFSX. It works with Blender versions 3.0 to at least 3.5.1. It is still early to say for sure, but it looks like it will work with the upcoming 3.6 release.

The legacy Vitus exporter ran into problems in some cases with Blender 3.0

@falcon409 the following is FWIW:

I went from using Sketchup to Blender and if I can, anyone can.

The problem with Krispy's videos today is that the location of some things in the Blender interface and the way you execute some of the commands have changed in the newer versions. He does show some very basic things that still might be helpful to get started with.

If you are going to look at his videos, I suggest that you get these transcripts of them from the resources section.

To avoid a lot of frustration, start with modeling a simple object, even if it is unrelated to what you ultimately want to do. It will get you familiar with the Blender UI and you won't have spent a lot of time on something you care about only to find that you have made a such mess of it that it might be easier to start over.

There are countless YouTube tutorials for Blender. Not many of them are flight simulator related, but you might be trying to do some type of modeling similar to what someone has made a tutorial for.

Also, an Internet search for a specific problem you're having with Blender will often return something on https://blender.stackexchange.com/ where there is an answer for almost "everything".

To see if you can use the toolset successfully, try to export the default cube without any errors. You might also try UV unwrapping and texturing it to see how that goes.

To avoid export errors, read the toolset wiki.

Keep an open mind. Be patient. Try to forget how you worked in Sketchup entirely. Blender is a totally different way of modeling and it is going to take a considerable amount of time until you get used to it.

Country
canada
OOOps, sorry, However there are shader node changes in bleder 3.4 and above that may affect P3D too.