• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BlinkCode Setting?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

I had noticed in the GPS coding that there are many references and uses to BlinkCode. I found it tonight in the FSX SDK, but it doesnt talk about how to set it.

In the SDK, I find this; (Also in the GPS code)

BlinkCodeScript that evaluates how the text should blink. Note that the blinking will not occur in the tool.

And if I go into the BlinkerCode (special Macro in the BlinkCode that sets up the blink pulse?) I find this... which I believe is an alien Macro language by short gray people...

<Macro Name="BlinkerCode">(@g:menuBlinker) d 0 > if{ -- (>@g:menuBlinker) 15 sp0 1 } els{ l0 -- s0 d 0 &lt;= if{ 30 sp0 } 15 > }</Macro>

I know its gray language script because its talking outside of space time with different planes of reality... surely.. there is an easier way to make things go blinky....

Country
thailand
Bill,

As mentioned before, the @g variables associated with the stock gps_500.xml gauge are nothing fancy. They just keep track of the users' push button and cursor knob actions.

At the end of the day, blinking, in all cases, IIRC, is controlled simply by the blink escape: {blnk}. That's the simplest of all ways to make text "go blinky". The BlinkerCode macro is just some logic to help assign a value to the @g var menuBlinker.

We need to know your intentions. Are you just trying to re-arrange the stock gps_500 display pages? Or, are you intending to make functional changes to the gps_500?

Bob

Country
us-arizona
Ah so... Good to know. Thanks Bob.

I was just curious as to how it works. I had a font in a totally different area (popup screens, switches) and wanted to use that code in it, in the GPS, and it wouldnt work. But I did see the {blnk} (about a thousand times or more) and didnt think to use that.

Thanks for the heads up.

I need to get with you on the night terrain on my GPS. I updated to your settings for shadows in the GPS daytime, and now its only showing daytime. But my goodness, it looks a thousand times better with those terrain hills visible. Very nice....

Country
thailand
'Night' terrain on the GPS? There is no such animal in the MSFT gps_500.xml or the real world Garmin GPS 500.

Maybe you're thinking of the 'no' terrain color, black background with dark blue water? That's all the Garmin GPS 500 could do, actually, and it's used that way day and night. Keep in mind the GPS 500 has a small screen by todays standards. Too much clutter if you have terrain colors in my opinion. Everything stands out on a black background.

Bob

[Edit] - are you thinking of a brightness dimmer? Not available on the gps_500.xml gauge

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
[Edit] - are you thinking of a brightness dimmer? Not available on the gps_500.xml gauge
Well, while you cannot make things brighter, you can easily make things dimmer...

...by using a series of cascading opacity layers. That is why I tag all 'screens' to use Additive mode exclusively. I can then make the screen brightness adjustable by a vernier knob, or automatically using by simulating a light sensor (aka: time of day).

Country
us-arizona
Maybe you're thinking of the 'no' terrain color, black background with dark blue water?

Thats exactly it, Bob.

I notice on yours, you have red zones on your black zones. Are those areas that are in your altitude field? Mountains?

Country
us-arizona
Well, while you cannot make things brighter, you can easily make things dimmer...

...by using a series of cascading opacity layers. That is why I tag all 'screens' to use Additive mode exclusively. I can then make the screen brightness adjustable by a vernier knob, or automatically using by simulating a light sensor (aka: time of day).

I already had those installed, Bill! Love that tech. Thanks for sharing that years ago. I like the one you did that has perhaps 10 layers, so you can mouse dial the 'dial' and dim it so smoothly that you do not see the steps in shading.

Country
thailand
I notice on yours, you have red zones on your black zones. Are those areas that are in your altitude field? Mountains?

You're referring to the terrain awareness map shown in this link. That display is a hack of the ElevationXXXXColor gps variables to produce a coarse terrain awareness map. It's discussed in detail in the Map Guidebook, pages 114-124. Such maps are core features of a TAWS system (Terrain Awareness and Warning System). To read about TAWS basics, take a look at the FAA Advanced Avionics Handbook or google TAWS.

But I would think twice before pushing this into a commercial product. For one thing, do you think you would be able to support it?

Bob

Country
us-arizona
I am just looking for something simple. The basics for this bird. Perhaps in the future, something like that would be nice, like the Kodiak, updated with modernized Garmin screens. Same for the Epic LT and Victory, a newer Learjet.