• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blinking lights timers

Hello again,

I wrote the question about disappearing autogen, got the answer the hard way, my hard drive died. Got a new one so thats in the past.

Thanks to you guys I have blinking lights that look great, on top of water tower, warning lights,etc. Is there a simple way that I can get them to blink at different times ? They all blink at the same time, not very realistic.

Thanks,

Country
us-newjersey
Doesnt state what you used to create the lights but if you created the light with an effect, you will find a setting under the emitter section for....

delay=0.00, 0.00

By changing this variable it will delay the start of light. Just be sure to create a new effect for your light otherwise each effect that uses that name will be changed

So if you have 2 different warning lights, create 2 different effects....one with a delay and one without

This only implies if your using effects for lights. Let me know if you need any other help

Dave

Blinking light timers

I used FSDS to create them, do not know how to make an effect. I'm real green with this stuff.

Country
us-illinois
cantwin ... you say you don't know how to create an fx, but you're using them on your towers so you know *what* effect you're using. Did you know that fx files are written in xml and that you can open one in notepad and make changes to how it operates and then resave under a different name? Your random blink request may also be answered easier with a module called... hmmm let me find it... (no that isn’t the name) oh here it is ... it’s called “asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip” and can be found over at avsim.com. Not sure if it'll affect obslights but I sure love what it does to the a/c lights!

Country
australia
Cantwin, the blinking light effects in FSDS ie found, never really look that good. I think your best bet is to use XML and place the FX file with it.

If you choose a central point of your object for a common Lat Lon , then use Bias XYZ to display the FX files your using it will work better.

All you need to do from the initial placement is work out in which direction and how many meters you need to offset to place the FX file.

If you use default FX files aswell, you will not need to include them in your scenery package as everyone will allready have them.

here is an example of part of an XML source code i used for a scenery i created.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!-- This File is Copyright of Jeffrey Stanyer & RSend Software 2004 -->
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >
<!-- Crane -->
<SceneryObject lat="-38.5724428318428" lon="147.322872888886" alt="18.50"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" pitch="0.00" bank="0.00" heading="0.00"
imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<BiasXYZ
biasX="-8.1"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="-3.8"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_beaconb.fx"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!-- Crane -->
<SceneryObject lat="-38.5724428318428" lon="147.322872888886" alt="18.50"
<BiasXYZ
biasX="8.1"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="5.8"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_beaconb.fx"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!-- Deck Light -->
<SceneryObject lat="-38.5724428318428" lon="147.322872888886" alt="22.1"
<BiasXYZ
biasX="3.0"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="8.0"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_deckwhi.fx"
effectParams="NIGHT=1;DAY=0;"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!-- Deck Light -->
<BiasXYZ
biasX="3.0"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="8.0"/>
effectParams="DAWN=1;DUSK=0;"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!-- Deck Light -->
<BiasXYZ
biasX="7.0"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="4.0"/>
effectParams="NIGHT=1;DAY=0;"/>
</SceneryObject>
***EDITED FOR SIZE OF EXAMPLE ***
<!-- lower walkway Light 2 -->
<BiasXYZ
biasX="-4.80"
biasY="-8.60"
biasZ="1.75"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_deckwhi1.fx"
effectParams="DAWN=1;DUSK=1"/>
</SceneryObject>
</FSData>

As you would know the size of the object you created in FSDS you can work out how far you need to place the FX for each light you want to show. This example was for niht lights i used for an Oil Rig i made in FSDS !

rgds Jeff

Blinking light timers

To Tachyon and JeffS,

I started designing about 5 months ago (told you I was green)in previous threads I found how to make blinking lights from Gorchi, and McFu.All the lights I make are small, and to me they look great. (I'm learning step by step) I will try anything, but it has to be explained from step 1. Please don't take for granted that I know something that is simple and common knowlege to you, because it isn't for me. I greatly appreciate everyone's time and efforts in answering my questions. I have read the other posts on lights, and a lot of it could have been writen in chinese, only because I haven't figured out yet what there talking about. Hopefully in time I will. Thanks again guys.

Country
australia
Cantwin, we are all green mate :) .

ref the code sample i showed you, now you have an idea what it looks like, the next thing is to ask us what it means if your stuck and for a more detailed explanation. thatway you can study it and learn, thats how we did it. I STILL get bewildered with the code samples of ASM that Arno and Dick supply LOL but with time ill get there as will you.

Sing out and there are lots here to help, im still green in my opinion and ive been at it for 3 yrs .

Can you supply us with the BGL of your model ? and its location for example so we may create a file for you to work from as a template !
Ive found this one of the best ways to learn. A working example with some step by step instructions that YOU can modify will help you enormously . Thisway you will understand the code and how it works and then be supprised at how NOT difficult it is with a little practise.

rgds Jeff

Blinking light timers

To JeffS anybody,

I made a bgl in FSDS, after reading the help file, opened it with note and word pad, and all I got was coded lines. (Told you I was green) I am attaching the project file from FSDS. Location in FS9 is N55* 26.63 W132* 07.77 86.2' 297 degree's. I use the Misty Fjords scenery. Thanks for all your help.

cantwin

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
cantwin said:
Hello again,

I wrote the question about disappearing autogen, got the answer the hard way, my hard drive died. Got a new one so thats in the past.

Thanks to you guys I have blinking lights that look great, on top of water tower, warning lights,etc. Is there a simple way that I can get them to blink at different times ? They all blink at the same time, not very realistic.

Thanks,

In the effects section I have uploaded two effects, offset from each other as well.

Country
australia
Cantwin, finally gotten time to look at the files.

Best thing i think is to create the FX files for you and then place them with XML and compile the file.

Then include the Source code and new FX files for you so you can see how they all work.

Had problems finding the fence as you have it located at MEIGS when exporting direct from FSDS !

Back later with what you require.

rgds Jeff

Country
australia
OK, back again !

I have located your Warning Board at Meigs ( this is where it was located by default in FSDS ), i have edited the Orig FSDS file to remove the FSDS beacons !

I have created a BGL file with the XML code for you that will place 2 x FX files that flash at differing times.

in the Zip file you will find only 1 FX file as it is a copy of a default FX file. the missing FX file from the ZIP should be in your FS9 effects folder by default.

Here is the body of the explanation txt file from the Zip.

If you have difficulty, please ask for further explanation or help !

If anyone can add to or improve , please do !

Explanation.txt contents:

In FSDS, group all components and join them to create one object, make sure your XYZ is central to the object and you object is central to the GRID in FSDS ( in top view ).

You can then enter your Lat Lon for its location and export the BGL into FS9.

To input your Beacon FX files, use XML and BGLComp !

Using TCalc2004_V2 by Dick Ludowise, obtain the Lat Lon in Decimal format and enter these for the co-ordinates of the FX file, then by using the Bias XYZ within the XML code, offset your FX file to where you want it to display.

To add another FX, duplicate the relevant code and alter the Bias XYZ ( see source code XML file for example )

If you know your lamp is 1.2 meters above ground level, then in the XML code, set the altitude to 1.2 meters !

If you know your lamp is 3.25 meters from the center of the object, then in the XML code, offset the FX file by 3.25 meters, to duplicate this in the opposite direction you will use -3.25 meters.

NOTE:
-----
ALL MEASUREMENTS BY DEFAULT ARE METRIC, get used to the metric system if your still using Imperial ! its a lot easier !

NOTE:
-----

When your placing your AC ( in slew mode ) to obtain the Lat Lon ( by use of Shift Z ) make sure you save this flight for future ref !! very important. Then, as your AC is in the required location, using TCalc2004 note the lat lon in Decimal format for your XML code. Enter the Normal Lat Lon co-ord you would use in FSDS and export your BGL file into FS9. When creating the XML code, as you previously noted the Decimal Lat Lon, you will still be using the exact same Ref point for both FSDS Object and XML Source code.

Bias X,Y,Z :
------------

Bias X = Left or Right ( East or West ) where the "-" denotes the opposite direction !

Bias Y = Up or Down,( vertical / altitude ) where the "-" denotes the opposite direction !

Bias Z = Forwards or Backwards ( North or South ) where the "-" denotes the opposite direction !

FX files:
---------

To alter the flash rate, Adjust the " Delay=0.00, 0.00 " in ALL Emitter sections, the second set of numbers should be increased to suit and must allways be a higher value than the first set of numbers.

Example Source Code for XML placement:
--------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FSData
version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
<SceneryObject
lat="41.8571805000653"
lon="-87.6084287499997"
alt="1.75"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="0"
<BiasXYZ
biasX="2.8"
biasY="0.0"
biasZ="-0.15"/>
<Effect
effectName="fx_beacon1.fx"/>
</SceneryObject>
<SceneryObject
lat="41.8571805000653"
lon="-87.6084287499997"
alt="1.75"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="0"
<BiasXYZ
biasX="-2.8"
biasY="0.0"
biasZ="-0.15"/>
<Effect
effectName="fx_beacon.fx"/>
</SceneryObject>
</FSData>

rgds Jeff

Attachments

• warnbords_Example.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 515
Hi!
Just a short note from me :) I think that the way with using effect files is the right and the future way and You should learn using effects. But still, nobody answered to You how to change blinking speeds in FSDS.
FS knows some of the timer variables:
0x282, 0x30A, 0x30C, 0x30E, 0x310 and 0x5FC or tick 18. They are called beacon_x except for the last one, named tick18, which is very ueseful with animations. You can all those use as timers to change the time they blink excet that they all have more or less same speed. The time at which they trigger can be tuned using Variable1 and variable 2 options in the condition setup window as i told You before.
Tick18 is a little bit special variable which You can use to trigger light really fast or reaaaaaaaaallllyyyyy slow (i.e once per 4 hours :) ) But the best use of tick18 as a timer is to use it by handcoding which is time consuming and SCASM is quite tricky to program in some occasions...
Anyway, I still recomend to You to start using GMAX, use effects and switch to XML and MDL files. I think that SCASM is slowly dying; I am not very fond of this sentence but I fear that this is true.

Best regards,

To everyone who tried to help,

I appreciate the fast responces and tech help. However at this time with 5 months under my belt, I believe this is out of my league at this time. I'm not giving up, I just have a lot more to learn.I tried to run while I'm still crawling. I check this site daily and have learned a lot, and have a great deal more to learn. Again thanks to all of you, keep up the great work, someday I'll be there to.

cantwin

Country
australia
Mate ! its well within your League ! we just havnt worked out a way to explain it correctly to you :)

If your not giving up, neither will we !

rgds Jeff