Building texture

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi all,

I was wondering which part of the autogen building texture is used on generic buildings of different sizes. So I did a small experiment with that. I have put my results until now on my blog:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/2014/01/which-texture-on-my-autogen-building/

I think this information is useful when trying to decide how to make a custom texture and also when choosing a good roof guid for buildings of different sizes.

If I find more, I'll post it here as well.

Great idea Arno ! thx !

Just a question, yellow "box" of your table mean that the "warehouse part" texture appear only at first floor of building or on all level of the building?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have seen warehouses with different heights. If the slider is put to the higher heights, it seems the warehouses also get a bit taller. But in general warehouses are not very tall. That part of the texture sheet is also less high.

adr179

Resource contributor
Instead of opening a new one, I'll re-open this thread.

It looks like use of autogen textures is also region dependent. I made a custom set of textures for autogen in my country and found out that portion "house roofs" is not used at all. Walls of houses really do use "houses" row, but roofs use texture named "roof_Europe_Mediterranean_West.dds". Texture is at least used on "Roofs gabled ALL". Since I don't like the percentage of colors used for roofing (almost 100% red), which is far from real, there's A LOT of work waiting :-(

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Roofs don't come from the building texture indeed. Roofs are separate library objects actually with their own textures that are region dependant.

The roofs in the building texture are a leftover from fs2004.

adr179

Resource contributor
And that "small detail" Aces forgot to mention in the SDK. As many others...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes, I've also learned it by trial and error :)