• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Cabdir help

Country
unitedstates
hello i read the html document and everything and i dont get how to work cabdir

a example will be helpful
i know about the command prompt i just dont get what you are supposed to type:eek::confused:

thanks

Country
us-arizona
I have always just dropped the aircraft gauge folder directly onto the CabDir generator and it produces the CAB from there.

Bill

Country
puertorico
Bill - don't tell him too much, yet. He hasn't said if he's finished his modelling homework first!

<G>

(Told you we were a tough bunch!)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I have always just dropped the aircraft gauge folder directly onto the CabDir generator and it produces the CAB from there.

Being the efficient fellow I am, I simply right-click on the folder and choose "Compile CAB File"... :D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
You can do that!?** :eek: arrghh...

Off to check it out.

Create a folder such as C:\Make CAB and put cabdir.exe in it.

Create a Desktop Shortcut:

Name: CABDIR

Target: "C\Make CAB\cabdir.exe

Start in: "C:\Make CAB

Move the New Shortcut to your SendTo folder. Now you can simply highlight the XML folder, right-click and Choose CABDIR from the popup listbox. :)

Country
unitedstates

Bill

ya for some reason it didnt work that way for me.:confused:
I used command prompt and typed in:
CABDIR.exe /nocompress *****
(the *'s are whatever the folder is :))

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the tip Fr. Bill

A very impressive work flow with burning CAB files.

Yes it is quite efficient. This allows me to create/edit XML gauges directly in an aircraft's \panel folder, then simply rightclick on the sub-folder name and choose CABDIR from the list...

...bang! It's done! :cool:

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The tip from Fr.Bill is very good - but .....

If you use Winrar Programm you can make .cab with it.
you must at first binding the .cab extentions with winrar and if you like to build a cab File than do follow:

Right click on the folder and you click:
add to archive
in the window than will open only change the type,
instead of .rar you write .cab
and then click Ok and you will have a xxxx.cab.

Country
unitedstates
Create a folder such as C:\Make CAB and put cabdir.exe in it.

Create a Desktop Shortcut:

Name: CABDIR

Target: "C\Make CAB\cabdir.exe

Start in: "C:\Make CAB

Move the New Shortcut to your SendTo folder. Now you can simply highlight the XML folder, right-click and Choose CABDIR from the popup listbox. :)

Bill

Would it make any sense to put the cabdir.exe in the Gauges folder, and then set the target, so that the CAB file was created directly in the Gauge folder -- one less step -- no need to copy it from the "Make Cab" folder ?

Geoff_D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill

Would it make any sense to put the cabdir.exe in the Gauges folder, and then set the target, so that the CAB file was created directly in the Gauge folder -- one less step -- no need to copy it from the "Make Cab" folder ?

Geoff_D

Geoff, that's how it works already! The only thing in the "Make CAB" folder IS cabdir.exe! This way you only need one copy of cabdir.exe but have it accessible from anywhere, anytime... :D

That's the point of installing the shortcut in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\SendTo folder. By doing so, you can rightclick on any folder's name in the Explorer Window, and choose "Make CAB" from the dropdown list.

The new .CAB file will be created in the same "parent folder" as the foldername you've just "CABed"... :teacher:

So, in practice one would create their XML working folder directly in the a/c's ..\panel folder, such as:

..\panel
.....\My_XML_Gauge
..........MyXMLGauge.xml
..........MyBackground.bmp
..........MyNeedle.bmp

After rightclicking and choosing SendTo/Make CAB...

..\panel
.....My_XML_Gauge.CAB
.....\My_XML_Gauge
..........MyXMLGauge.xml
..........MyBackground.bmp
..........MyNeedle.bmp

Last edited: