P3D v4 Can't find bglcomp & ship2vec

To whom it may concern,
I made the switch from FSX: SE to P3d v4. I tried using ADE to get rename gates and update the frequencies, but when I compiled the file, it said that it could not find the files needed in the SDK (bglcomp & ship2vec). When I installed P3d, it also installed the SDK in: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.2.21.24048. I found both of those files within that folder, and pointed ADE to those directories, but still got the same error message. Let me know if you want me to post any screenshots.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Hi Kevin:

IIUC, the version of P3Dv4 you have is 4.2.21.24048 ?

If indeed you actually have P3Dv4.2.21.24048 rather than a newer P3Dv4.5x or later, try downloading the P3Dv4.2x SDK here:

http://cloud.prepar3d.com/SDK/Prepar3D_v2_SDK_2.5.12946.0.msi

In a Windows Explorer (aka "Computer") browse dialog, Right-click the downloaded Prepar3D_v2_SDK_2.5.12946.0.msi; choose "Install".

When finished, find in that SDK folder chain "ConfigSDK.exe", then Right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator"

Then in ADE, navigate
:

ADE Menu > Tools > New User Wizard

...to manually run that wizard (which, IIRC, normally only runs during first installation of ADE itself).

Let us know if this worked for you. ;)

If not, you should probably post a link to this thread in a new thread posted within the ADE forum itself, rather than in the P3D forum..

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor.95/

Hope this helps. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello @kevinmdavis2010

Please confirm that you have installed v4.2.21.24048 for both the Prepar3D v4 & the Prepar3D SDK with a screenshot of the directory that both were installed. The SDK does NOT install automatically when installing the application. If you have installed any other SDK that does NOT match the current version as the application, please uninstall it. Both the application and the SDK need to be v4.512.30293. I don't think you have v4.2.21.24048 installed if you have recently purchased P3D. Therefore, the only thing we need to confirm is what (if any) SDK have you installed (again, doesn't install automatically with the application).

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello...

When did you purchase? If recently... I suggest that you update both the application first and then the SDK to the latest. Read on how to update Prepar3D from the main screen of Lockheed Martin and click on Downloads (at the top). Sign in then it will take to what you can download. Make sure to read: https://prepar3d.com/Prepar3D_Download_and_Install_Instructions_v4.pdf. Click on the section "Individual Component Downloads (click to expand)."

What you need to read specifically is the "Updating Prepar3D v4" section. After you have downloaded all of the parts in upgrading the application. Download the SDK (which is a little further down the same screen). Do not install the SDK until you update the Application first.

If you like seen a screenshot of the download section... it should tell you what version was purchased at the bottom (under License Information).

Last edited:
Hi Doug,
I verified that I have the latest version of P3d along with the SDK - and I do. I tried re-installing the SDK to see if that would fix the ADE issue, but it didn't. I am still getting the message in ADE saying that it can't compile the airport. Let me know if you need any further information.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello Kevin,

Ok, So you have the latest P3D v4.5? or was it 4.2? Initially, you said it was and confirmed it was v4.2. May we see confirmation that now you have v4.5 installed? Also, a screenshot of ADE Options might help as well, such as:

ADE_Options.png

Hi Doug,
I indeed have 4.5.12.30293 installed. Here are the current paths in ADE:
scenery.cfg Folder: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
FS Main Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\
BglComp Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.12.30293\World\Scenery\
Ship2Vec Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.12.30293\World\Terrain\
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello Kevin,

Try compiling the bgl file to your desktop, not into a Program Files directory and sub-directories there of. After it compiles, then move it to the folder that it needs to be in.

Hi Doug,
If I understand your previous post correctly, it seems like the issue I'm experiencing is not the location of the tools, but the location of the exported BGL file. Is this correct?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/cant-find-bglcomp-ship2vec.445456/post-823414

Hi Doug,

I indeed have 4.5.12.30293 installed. Here are the current paths in ADE:

scenery.cfg Folder: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
FS Main Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\
BglComp Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.12.30293\World\Scenery\
Ship2Vec Folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.12.30293\World\Terrain\

Regards,
Kevin Davis
Hi Kevin:

Your post above shows that somehow you have already successfully installed the P3Dv4.5x SDK, so that's a good thing.

As Doug points out above, you now must now deal with Windows' default file / folder security permissions issues imposed via UAC.

A potentially less complicated work-around that will not clutter up your Desktop, but which also still allows ADE to compile without Windows' default file / folder security permissions issues will be described in the following. :idea:

Depending on what add-on scenery packages (if any) you also have installed in P3Dv4.5x, compiling BGLs via ADE and having ADE output to:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Addon Scenery\Scenery sub-folder

...'may' prevent your own custom scenery BGL from being displayed due to that Area layer's lower priority in P3Dv4.5x Scenery Library GUI

It would be best, IMHO, for you to have ADE compile your BGLs directly into a sub-folder chain you previously created for your project ex:

C:\Kevin_P3Dv4_5_projects\WS03_ADEX_KD\Scenery\ <-- your own custom ADE-compiled BGLs go here

FYI: This sub-folder chain will NOT be subject to Windows' default file / folder security permissions issues imposed via UAC. :wizard:

If you require assistance with creating a sub-folder chain for your own custom scenery projects, and to also create a new Area layer for that sub-folder chain at the top position within the stack of Area layers of the P3Dv4.5x Scenery library GUI, we can help you do that. ;)

PS: If you have ex: OrbX FTX Global installed, you will need to use FTX Central to create an "Insertion Point" to enable a new Area layer that adds the sub-folder chain for your own custom scenery projects, to be kept at the top position within the stack of Area layers of the P3Dv4.5x Scenery library GUI.

If you require assistance with using FTX Central to create an "Insertion Point" to enable a new Area layer that adds the sub-folder chain for your own custom scenery projects, to be kept at the top position within the stack of Area layers of the P3Dv4.5x Scenery library GUI, ...we can also help you do that.

Hope this helps a bit more. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Ok. It works now! I made a scenery folder on my desktop, and told P3d to look there. Out of curiosity, should I uninstall P3d and put it in a folder other than ProgramFiles to avoid this issue?
Thanks again,
Kevin Davis

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/cant-find-bglcomp-ship2vec.445456/post-823522

Ok. It works now! I made a scenery folder on my desktop, and told P3d to look there.
IMHO, it would be in your best interest, to move that custom scenery folder chain directly into the main 'root' folder of drive C:\ ex:

C:\Kevin_P3Dv4_5_projects\WS03_ADEX_KD\Scenery\ <-- your own custom ADE-compiled BGLs go here

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/cant-find-bglcomp-ship2vec.445456/post-823522

Out of curiosity, should I uninstall P3D and put it in a folder other than C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ to avoid this issue?

Thanks again,
Kevin Davis
Technically, IMO, yes, just as it was a good thing to create the nested sub-folder chain for your custom scenery outside the P3D folder chain.

As I do not (yet) have P3D to test with, I must defer advisement on details for doing a P3D un-install / re-install ...to Doug (Pyscen). :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Another option is to place your custom scenery in the C:\Users\*****\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\my_scenery\ etc...

This is where LM suggests that all add-ons go.

Kevin, I suggest you leave P3D installed where it is. What ADE is saying is that it can't compile into the Program Files directory do to security protocols. Its best not to compile there anyways. Compile into a work folder and then copy or move it into the P3D file structure.