• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Clarke Interplanetary

Messages
84
Country
us-texas
Well, since I'm unable to actually fly right now because I'm using my Stone Age laptop, I decided to make a run at an old nemesis: a futuristic airport. This one incorporates some designs from older ideas I've had before, and will hopefully be one I actually upload at some point!

I started by finding a nice little couple of islands NW of SNXW in Brazil. The main criteria were that I needed at least one island, in a protected water body accessible to the sea (bay, sound, gulf, etc) and it had to be on the equator. That last bit is a surprise for when (and if) I actually start releasing stuff.




This view shows you the main terminal with the runways represented by black outlines in the middleground. Excuse the colors, I just haven't gotten to texturing yet.:o The pink building in the foreground is a port for ships, which is still in the works. Much to do on that part.


You can see the main terminal here, with the seaport directly behind it. I'm fairly proud of this, but it isn't completely original. It's inspired by the cover art of January 2010's Popular Science. There will be much work done to this as well. I can't decide whether to pop holes in the mesh and give it windows. The scene is already pretty poly-heavy, although I guess that could be solved by simply putting pieces in different scenes. Like I said, still working.


This is one of my favorite parts, and something I hope I can get to work. It's supposed to be two Ares I Assembly Sheds, which I made up out of nowhere. Hopefully they will eventually open (the pink doors open like vertical blinds) and two crawlers will come out with Ares I rockets and come down the red road and . . .


. . . head to the twin gantries across the bridge on the other island. These, too are completely fictional, and serve no other purpose than to look cool. The mission control center, which is the little pink (drat!) building to the right, is based on the one at Cape Canaveral.


The gantries have all sorts of moving parts, including clamps and walkways that will swing into and out of position.


There are also 3 gantry cranes on the main island that are there to unload cargo ships and build things in their vast construction bays, which will be burrowed out via the Terrain SDK. The cranes themselves will be mobile and very animated, even picking up cargo containers and depositing them in different places. At least, hopefully they will . . .

Just thought I would share this with ya'll, since I've been working on it for the past week or so. If you have suggestions, please feel free to critique or give me some helpful pointers!
 
Yup, texturing is a pain!:D

Got the main terminal (mostly) done.



Good grief! Trying to animate is difficult. I'm starting slow, and it isn't getting any easier. I tried getting an escalator-type animation (people moving down and forward) in the branching arms coming off the main terminal. Didn't work for hoopla. Guess I'm a little more rusty than I thought I was!:p
 
So I set aside the idea of animating for right now and am concentrating on getting the actual spaceport built. Working with AFX, Gmax and PSP to get all the parts and stuff sorted out, and I think it's coming along nicely.

clarkeinterplanetary13.jpg

By tfitz at 2010-04-09


Looking down Rwy 13:
clarkeinterplanetary12.jpg

By tfitz at 2010-04-09


The secondary island. The different colored stripes are the crawler tracks, which are dirt in the middle and coral on the outside.
clarkeinterplanetary11.jpg

By tfitz at 2010-04-09


More to come eventually! I still have all the texturing to get to, which should take a fair amount of time. And then on to the AI!
 
Whew! The amount of work I have to actually put into this is sort of staggering. I got some done this week, despite all my real life crap interfering.

Again, several links, since I don't want to clog up the thread.

Compare this shot to the second one in my second post:
​

I've got a hotel on the island, now! Not much, but enough for visiting officials or pilots or passengers to stay in and enjoy the views of either the coastline or the runways. There's also a pier leading off it to that big purple block which represents the Oasis of the Sea, which is the current record-holder for the largest passenger vessel in the world.

​

I've finished the AFX/AFCAD portion of the spaceport, with radio freqs, navaids and all the runway trimmings. BTW, the patch of concrete out there is where the "original airfield" once stood. I was thinking about adding in the original buildings I made for this airfield, but I didn't think they fit with the futuristic airport surroundings.

I textured the two arms of the terminal, but I accidentally managed to get the UVW maps too large for each panel of the roof. But I was looking at it and I realized that with the edgings, they look like they have some sort of ridgecaps or trim over the edges which I kind of like. What do ya'll think?

​

This is a fenceline that I put up between the main airport tarmac and the hotel/shopping mall. I really like the way it came out, although it would probably look a bit different on other folks' computers. And I know, I should turn the guardhouse 90 degrees so they can see who's in the car or vehicle when the person is sitting at the gate . . .

​

This last one shows you the hotel and shopping mall area, which I'm still debating on. I was originally planning on having a few lightpoles projecting a few lighted areas around, but that would have necessitated me creating a full ground-poly. This just wouldn't do, since it negated all the shadows of the buildings and aircraft that were on it. So I had to decide whether I wanted shadows or lit areas, and finally decided on shadows. Any thoughts on how this would work otherwise?

Thanks for taking a look. Comments and feedback are not only welcome, but nearly essential! I need to know what you think so I can improve areas that may need attention.
 
nice modeling, perhaps a bit much on polygon count, be careful ;) try to do alot of detail with texturing not modeling... think ahead as to what you want detailed through polygon count and what can be achieved with texturing and transparencies.

but otherwise, looks killer!!!! :D
 
It actually isn't too bad on polys right now. I figure if it can run on my POS laptop (I can't run Gmax and FS at the same time!) it will run fine on normal machines. My comp is the bottom-line for running FS, so it's perfect for testing.
 
Nice... I also beta my scenery on my laptop... its recent, but has a crappy video card, so if it works on this, then it should look ok on pc's with halfway decent hardware. Testing on a slow machine is axcellent way of keeping things in check :)

keep up with the progress pics!!!! its gunna look great...
 
Back
Top