• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Clouds show over PBR transparency

HI

Just checking if this is known bug or limit of PBR, or something amiss with how I do things.

I note that clouds, airport lights, aircraft textures will layer over a PBR plane with transparency, as you might use for fences. It does not happen for the models in the screenshot below if I disable PBR, only if PBR is set to true.
cloudcut.jpg

I use MCX to setup PBR. Here are the settings. I have tried Z-Bias 0, -50 and +50, 50 and many numbers inbetween.
settings.jpg

Yes, I also tried first to set it up as default transparent non-pbr, tested and it worked, then selecting PBR true, and you get the effect as above.

Maybe it is an MCX issue. If anyone could confirm they can make transparent PBR plains work correctly by exporting from max and not using MCX, before I pester Arno.

For the item above, I have defaulted to specular type texture. It works fine and I probably won;t change it now, but just intertested in this issue for future.

Just try anyway to change it to another level to make sure it is not a alpha test level issue due to the PBR.

I don't think PBR actually uses the z test. I have tried many setting (greater 128, greater 4, less 4, always 128, etc). All have the same result if PBR is set to true, and translucent render mode.

Opaque and masked render modes do not use the alhpa.

Z-bias is used to layer textures with alphas, but it seems to ignore stock scenery items, like clouds, ai aircraft, airport lights, the beacon towers, etc. I have tried 0, -4, -50, even -128 even though I read 50 is the limit.

If PBR should use the alpha test, then it may be an MCX issue. If someone can confirm it works fine by SDK export methods only.

Well, it seems your fence parts are also disappearing behind the clouds. That is what makes me wonder!

The fence in the image is also pbr texture. You can see how it lays over the blast fence correctly, but the clouds cut it. The two pbr objects play nicely together, just not with other sim items. Switch both to non pbr and all is well.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I have tried 0, -4, -50, even -128 even though I read 50 is the limit.

Hi.

In the P3Dv4 SDK it is described that the order of drawing PBR textures do not have negative z-bias values but have positive values: "Decal Order: Using values between 1 and 50, you can set and order the layering of ground polygon textures above the default airport aprons, taxiways and runways."

Other than ordinary z-bias values, the PBR textures begin with "1" (Decal Order). So the first drawn texture has the value 1:

p3dv4_decal_order.jpg

I had previously tested this with textures for a ground layout. Whether that also applies to PBR Textures of 3-D objects, I do not know.

Country
france
Hi.

In the P3Dv4 SDK it is described that the order of drawing PBR textures do not have negative z-bias values but have positive values: "Decal Order: Using values between 1 and 50, you can set and order the layering of ground polygon textures above the default airport aprons, taxiways and runways."

Other than ordinary z-bias values, the PBR textures begin with "1" (Decal Order). So the first drawn texture has the value 1:

View attachment 49465

I had previously tested this with textures for a ground layout. Whether that also applies to PBR Textures of 3-D objects, I do not know.
Hello i can't get my Ground polygon to use the alpha channel of the deffuse
i use the Translucent render mode but i still get black background
2019-7-7_1-30-50-695.png
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
i can't get my Ground polygon to use the alpha channel of the deffuse
... i use the Translucent render mode but i still get black background

The SDK describes that it typically uses "masked" rather than "translucent". Such as the alpha channels for fences or trees. Whether it is also applicable to ground polys, I'm not very clear. So, can you try "Masked", please?

Opaque Used for Opaque surfaces.
Masked Used when there are masked out regions based on the albedo alpha. Typically used for fences or vegetation.
Translucent Used for Translucent surfaces. Translucency is based on final albedo alpha.

Country
france
But i have some gradient alphas in many textures and i have mip mapped DXT 5 textures

Country
france
@Christian Bahr
i tested with masked and with translucent and still the same
i used use alpha to coverage and the masked to 0.5 but still the same non-transparent textures

however look at those pictures

using masked render mode :

2019-7-7_12-35-3-211.png

using translucent render mode :
2019-7-7_12-42-2-641.png

there is a diffrence :(
but not what i was expecting

haykal17

Resource contributor
Country
indonesia
1623751583773.png