COLLADA reader available

jdberg

Resource contributor
Works fine

Hi Arno,
what a great job, I tested the COLLADA importer at the weekend with a lot of objects and all worked fine. After converting the pictures it showed up fine in Gmax and later FSX (SP2).
The only thing I had to take care is the image resolution. The COLLADA objects sometimes have textures not 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024 and so it wouldn´t work in FSX but you can see the objects in Gmax naturally.

Perhaps a usefull hint for others who try the importer too.

So thanks again for the nice tool

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jorg,

That is good to hear. You exported as 3DS and put them in FSX via GMax? Did you also try the direct export to MDL from ModelConverterX?

It is a good idea to add information while exporting when textures are not the right size or format. I'll add that to the wishlist :).

"Did you also try the direct export to MDL from ModelConverterX?"
That is the crux of the problem.
By the way,Arno, could you tell me who you are working for, because you are the first one on a business trip that has some free time around 4PM?
You should be either sleeping off your too heavy lunch or preparing for your evening appointments.
And as I fear you will be reading this in spite of your "busy" program, there is one more thing I noticed with the import of dae files: the dimensions are completely off as well in your MCX.

jdberg

Resource contributor
Hi Jorg,
That is good to hear. You exported as 3DS and put them in FSX via GMax? Did you also try the direct export to MDL from ModelConverterX?
You are right, I only used 3DS-format and imported itin GMax. For me, that is the best way because I always want to check the models before I integrate them in my sceneries. Didn´t check the MDL-exporter yet, sorry.

It is a good idea to add information while exporting when textures are not the right size or format. I'll add that to the wishlist :).
It would be sufficient to display a message, that the texture has not the right size for the fist step so one gets noticed about the problem.

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

By the way,Arno, could you tell me who you are working for, because you are the first one on a business trip that has some free time around 4PM?
That is mainly because I was in a different time zone (which the forum did not know), so it was morning for me when I posted this from Florida. And we happened to have one morning that was less busy.

the dimensions are completely off as well in your MCX.
I think the COLLADA file can also store the unit used, but at the moment I am not reading it. I guess that might be the problem. I'll put it on my list.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have improved the COLLADA reader a bit. There was a bug in reading the normals from the objects and now the unit used in the COLLADA file is also read correctly. These updates are available in the development release.

Thanks a bunch Arno. I was trying to learn Sketchup and built a simple terminal, with only one texture the rest I just painted with color. Having ModelconvertorX scale from inches back to meters really is nice help.

I was wondering, in sketchup 7.1 when you export collada, there are some options available:
Export Two-sided faces
Export Edges (default checked)
Triangulate All Faces (default checked)
Export only Selection Set
Export Hidden Geometry (default checked)
Preserve Component Hierarchies (default checked)
Export Texture Maps (default checked)
Use "Color By Layer" Materials

Would changing any of these options have a benefit? I could see maybe the "two sided faces" in some cases.

Now I have to get some better materials for my terminal.

scott s.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Scott,

I was wondering, in sketchup 7.1 when you export collada, there are some options available:
Export Two-sided faces
Export Edges (default checked)
Triangulate All Faces (default checked)
Export only Selection Set
Export Hidden Geometry (default checked)
Preserve Component Hierarchies (default checked)
Export Texture Maps (default checked)
Use "Color By Layer" Materials
I have not checked all of those options yet. It would for example be interesting to see how they save the two-sided faces. It might be that I have to refine the loader a bit for some settings. So if anyone has some interesting findings let me know :).