• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

3DS Max Combine cut planes into one face.

Hello I cut my edges for the side of the building and it resulted in my roof being cut as well. I would like to combine the roof into one single face now. Is that possible?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Not for that shape it's not: you're going to have divisions of one sort or another to make that rooftop. That looks to me like the minimum polys necessary, too.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
You don’t need an extra script to do that in recent versions of Max: I can remove edges in Max 2008 which is much older than your version. I’ll post some illustrations when I have a mo and you’ll see the problem that creates.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Okay, now I have time to see this on a screen bigger than the phone, I can see there's a little more detail to this - the two levels of roof. However, you can reduce the vast number of polys in the area you've highlighted from 5 to 2.

I suggest Removing the edges marked in red and use Create to make the edge in green. That leaves you with two polys to the roof area. You can also Remove unwanted vertices in 3ds Max without resorting to plugins, scripts or other add-ons. Just be careful not to screw up your geometry by removing more than is wise.

............(screenshots from Max 2008)

Whether you think it's worth the trouble I leave to you.

Okay, now I have time to see this on a screen bigger than the phone, I can see there's a little more detail to this - the two levels of roof. However, you can reduce the vast number of polys in the area you've highlighted from 5 to 2.

I suggest Removing the edges marked in red and use Create to make the edge in green. That leaves you with two polys to the roof area. You can also Remove unwanted vertices in 3ds Max without resorting to plugins, scripts or other add-ons. Just be careful not to screw up your geometry by removing more than is wise.

............(screenshots from Max 2008)

Whether you think it's worth the trouble I leave to you.

Ahh this is a very good method as well! Thank you so much.