• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Combining objects

Country
australia
Hi,

Has anyone ever tried to see whether it makes a difference in BGL size and perhaps in frame rate when designing sub-objects individually and then combining them at a later stage (after texturing) rather than having a single complex object ?

Cheers,
Siggy

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm "pretty sure" that GMAX/makemdl.exe does this for us already. Back in the olden days when I still used SCASM, it seemed to help our framerates when we combined all our parts into one big object, but I think I only stumbled across that idea after reading about how makemdl.exe worked. There's a similar thread here somewhere about making fences. The question was whether it was better to make one small section of the fence, and then export it and call it from the XML file many times, OR, simple build the entire fence as on large part with GMAX. Again, in the olden days, it was better to produce the small part as a library object and call it many times, but I'm not sure if that still holds true today.

In any case, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and export you model as one big piece, as long as you keep a backup of your original .gmax file.

- Martin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
To add to this, in the old days it only helped to use different objects if they were all centered around the 0,0 point in GMax and if you all gave them the optiomal v1 and v2 (just exporting different objects from Gmax, while translating them in GMax as well still gives the same RefPoint).

But with the new gamepack we can no longer give the v1 and v2 manual, so I am not sure how big the influence now is, although I still think it is better to do it separate.