• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Compiling

GHD

Messages
12,244
Country
england
Quite often I see untextured lines of the correct shape in FSX.

If I go into ADE and select those lines, all I need to do is edit and click "OK".

Does the compile action not do this automatically?
 
George,

Could you give some more info on what you mean exactly?
I don't know what you are referring to. What do you mean with untextured lines? If they are untextured you would not see them, would you?
Or are you saying that the ADE helper shapes are showing up:confused:?
Perhaps have a 'Duvel' and you will see them (as I said in another thread):D?
 
By "untextured", I assume you mean black, i.e., missing texture.

If you instruct ADE to save the compiled file in a folder named "sceney" and there's a companion "texture" folder, the ADE-GP compiler saves any required textures to that texture folder. Otherwise, the textures are saved to a subfolder named "Textures" in the folder to which you have instructed ADE to save the bgls.

The compiler will warn you about any missing textures following a successful compile.

Don
 
Could you give some more info on what you mean exactly?
I don't know what you are referring to. What do you mean with untextured lines? If they are untextured you would not see them, would you?

It seems as though the background texture is visible but not the foreground. When it happens next I will take a screenshot.
 
Would the background texture be a gp polygon and the foreground texture a gp_line texture, then?
 
By "untextured", I assume you mean black, i.e., missing texture.

If you instruct ADE to save the compiled file in a folder named "sceney" and there's a companion "texture" folder, the ADE-GP compiler saves any required textures to that texture folder. Otherwise, the textures are saved to a subfolder named "Textures" in the folder to which you have instructed ADE to save the bgls.

The compiler will warn you about any missing textures following a successful compile.

Don

I never compile to a "Scenery" area, I compile to a project foilder then copy to a "Scenery" folder. All of the required textures are in the associated "Texture" folder. No warnings were given.
 
If ADE_GP has delivered the required textures, it would seem the problem is the textures themselves. (I assume you've checked that you don't have a totally black alpha channel in the foreground texture.)

So I'm going to have to see a screenshot.

Don
 
Here is the sequence:

FSX (untextured):



Select line and edit:



Click "OK"



Compile, close FSX, copy to scenery folder and reload FSX:

 
George, life would be so much simpler if you provided your file(s) along with such reports. If you are hesitant to add then as an attachment to your posts, feel free to e-mail them to me at don at stuff4fs dot com. I have no interest in them other than as an aid to diagnosing the issues you report.

To the problem at hand, presumably there was a compile between
Select line and edit:
and
FSX (untextured):
Was the line still selected when you called for compile?

Don
 
George, life would be so much simpler if you provided your file(s) along with such reports.

There is no point. The (dummy) edit fixed it (until the next time ;) )

To the problem at hand, presumably there was a compile between

No, the sequence was exactly how I described it.

Was the line still selected when you called for compile?

It could have been, could this make a difference?
 
I just realized that I interpreted your post in reverse order. Consequently, I agree having your file at this time would not be beneficial.

Obviously, what I need is information on how the initial screenshot you presented developed - but that's long gone - or having a way to replicate the issue. This could be either a processing problem or triangles not wound CCW. I don't know how the latter could happen but, since it's a viable explanation, I've got to consider it.

If it happens again, please don't try to correct the situation, Just send me your ADE file and the last ADE_GP.asm file generated.

Don
 
I've added a check in the production version to be absolutely certain that triangles are wound CCW. It may not do any good, but it won't do any harm.

However, I want you to continue to use that version so that, if it happens again, I can be certain as to the cause.

Don
 
George, I need to know a little more about the history of that line.

The problem is that the line has lost its "straightening". If you edit that line from the file you sent me, you will see that it adopts it's curved shape in the GP Editor. That suggest you moved or added vertices after the previous edit. If you move (other than moving the entire line) or add vertices to a line, the line reverts to its shape in ADE.

It's probably a safe assumption that yesterday's similar issue was due to a similar cause.

Now, I know you're going to say that if you've straightened a line once (by selecting a line pattern as a texture), the line should stay straight. And, I have some sympathy for that argument. So, please understand what I'm telling you is how it works now, how it has always worked and how it is currently documented in the user manual.

I will see if I can preserve the straightening without major surgery. In the meantime, you can restore the straightening simply by reselecting the line type.

Don
 
The problem is that the line has lost its "straightening". If you edit that line from the file you sent me, you will see that it adopts it's curved shape in the GP Editor.

No it doesn't, I showed you that in the earllier editor screenshot. If I edit the line, it is straight and in the correct position. All I need to do is click on "OK".

Supplementary question. Why does it seem to be textured with only the background in FSX?
 
No it doesn't, I showed you that in the earllier editor screenshot
George, we're going in that "bad direction" again!

I'm telling you what I saw with my own two eyes - and which is repeatable! The earlier screenshot to which you presumably refer does not relate to the current line, it relates yesterday's problem. (The apparent difference in secondary symptoms between yesterday's problem and today's may well be explained by some variable not being properly initialized in this unexpected situation.) Please allow me a few minutes to fully investigate whether or not that situation can be avoided.

Supplementary question. Why does it seem to be textured with only the background in FSX?
Don't know. But, once the major issue is resolved, this one likely will go away.

Don
 
George, we're going in that "bad direction" again!

Perhaps you are.

I have just unzipped to a new folder the file I sent to you, opened the ADE file and edited the curve.

This is what I saw (in chronological order):



and in the editor:



Is the line curved?
 
George, I have found a way to preserve line straightening across edits following vertex moves/additions/deletions for dimensioned lines which use a defined line type texture.

However, without a major redesign, there's no way to do the same during silent edit.

I doubt that a major redesign at this stage is either warranted or adviseable to address a situation that can easily be covered in the user manual (i.e., whenever you add, remove or move individual vertices from/to/in a patterned line, you've got to go to the editor).

I'll re-release shortly.

Don
 
Back
Top