• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Converting xml gauges

Country
newzealand
Hi all

I have been looking for TOT gauge for my MD500E that has analogue needle and digital read out. After searching I found the closest gauge that fits the description but it is an ITT gauge from a Dash 8 Q300.
It it possible to convert the gauge so it works as TOT and not an ITT gauge.
Any help would be very much appreciated

Regards

Rhys

Country
england
No reason why you shouldn’t be able too.
you will need the face of the gauge, usually called ‘background.bmp’
the needle
and the xml file.
edit the background.bmp with some editor of your choice to change ITT to TOT ( photoshop….or even something as simple as MS paint would do it)
open the xml file with a text editor. I use notepad.
edit the “value” section that drives the needle. Replace with your own Lvars or use sim variables to show TOT instead of ITT.
you may need to edit the nonlinarity table in the xml file too. This is the X and Y positions the needle will point to given a certain value.
lastly the digital readout
find the formatted text/string and change the L or A var to one you want to see the value of read out in the display.

that should get you going.

Country
newzealand
Thanks Maddz

Editing the background bmp file is easy as I have done in the image. Here is the info from from the xml file but I am unsure of the values I need to change to get it to read as a TOT gauge

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Gauge Name="PROP ITT ENG1" Version="1.0">
<Copyright>P Wallaert 2013/01/29</Copyright>
<Image Name="Prop_BG1.bmp" ImageSizes="331,331" />
<Element>
<Position X="19" Y="19" />
<Image Name="PROP_ITT_BG.bmp" ImageSizes="293,293" Luminous="Yes" />
<Element>
<Position X="146" Y="146" />
<Image Name="Prop_Needle.bmp" PointsTo="East" ImageSizes="140,64" Luminous="Yes">
<Axis X="32" Y="33" />
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value Minimum="0" Maximum="1100">(A:Turb eng1 ITT, celsius)</Value>
<Failures>
<SYSTEM_ENGINE Action="0" />
</Failures>
<Nonlinearity>
<Item Value="0" X="45" Y="182" />
<Item Value="1100" X="248" Y="182" />
</Nonlinearity>
<Delay DegreesPerSecond="180" />
</Rotate>
</Element>
<Element>
<Position X="83" Y="200" />
<Text X="120" Y="54" Bright="Yes" Length="4" Font="Quartz" Color="#FFFFFF" Adjust="center" VerticalAdjust="Center" Multiline="No" Fixed="No">
<String>%((A:Turb eng1 ITT, celsius) abs)%!4.0f!</String>
</Text>
</Element>
</Element>
<Mouse>
<Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_ENG1_ITT_CELSIUS" />
</Mouse>
</Gauge>

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Rhys

Attachments

• Prop_ITT_BG.jpg
    Prop_ITT_BG.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 30
Country
newzealand
Hi

I'm using fsx se not sure what the variable is for TOT. I had a look at the tot xml file and compared it to the itt xml file but I don't know anything about creating gauges so a bit lost

Rhys

Dave_W

Resource contributor
The variable used in the above ITT code to get the ITT is: (A:Turb eng1 ITT, celsius). It is used in the needle rotation and the digital readout parts of the code.

You mentioned that you have a TOT xml file. Can you show the code from it?

Country
newzealand
Hi Dave

Here is the TOT xml file info

Rhys

<Gauge Name="TOT" Version="1.0">
<Image Luminous="Yes" Name="TOT.bmp"/>
<Element>
<Position X="151" Y="151"/>
<Image PointsTo="West" Luminous="Yes" Name="needle_tot.bmp">
<Axis X="109" Y="7"/>
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value>(A:Circuit general panel on, bool) 1 == if{ (A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE,Celsius) } els{ 0 }
</Value>
<Nonlinearity>
<Item Value="0" X="221" Y="222"/>
<Item Value="100" X="188" Y="238"/>
<Item Value="200" X="155" Y="251"/>
<Item Value="300" X="122" Y="243"/>
<Item Value="400" X="84" Y="232"/>
<Item Value="500" X="67" Y="199"/>
<Item Value="600" X="46" Y="166"/>
<Item Value="700" X="57" Y="131"/>
<Item Value="800" X="63" Y="93"/>
<Item Value="900" X="94" Y="73"/>
<Item Value="1000" X="80" Y="68"/>
<Item Value="1100" X="127" Y="59"/>
<Item Value="1150" X="159" Y="57"/>
<Item Value="1200" X="192" Y="67"/>
</Nonlinearity>
<Delay DegreesPerSecond="15"/>
</Rotate>
</Element>
<Mouse>
<Tooltip>Turbine Temperature (%((A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE,Celsius))%!4d! &#xB0;C)</Tooltip>
</Mouse>
</Gauge>

Dave_W

Resource contributor
It has been a long time since I made a 2D gauge like this and unfortunately, I don't remember much about it or have time to be of much help.

I'm asking this, because the image above is a jpg: are the images you're going to use in the gauge saved as 24 bit bmp files?

Do their names match those in the TOT xml code?

To add to what @Maddz said:

I would suggest taking the ITT code above and making as few changes as possible to it.

Try just using the (A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE,Celsius) variable in place of (A:Turb eng1 ITT, celsius) in the two places I see it and see what happens.

If the only problem is needle rotation, you can then adjust your code as needed to fix that.

The tooltip should probably look something like: <Tooltip>Turbine Outlet Temperature (%((A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE, celsius)) %!d!°C)</Tooltip>

Good luck!

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
Hi Dave

Thanks heaps for your help. I edited the xml file but the gauge wont show up after making the changes.

Rhys

Dave_W

Resource contributor
What about your panel.cfg file, is the entry for this gauge correct there? What does that look like?

Is this gauge in the gauges folder or the panel folder? Are the .bmp files with names that match those in the code with it?

Would you mind showing the modified xml file?

Country
newzealand
Hi Dave

Here is the modified xml file
The gauge is from the DeHavilland_DASH-8_Q300. I have not changed the name of the gauge the gauge name in the panel file is
gauge41=Q300!Prop_ITT_1
I have simple put Q300!Prop_ITT_1 where the TOT gauge was in the MD500 panel file
The gauge was showing up before I edited the xml file but after making changes it did not

Rhys

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Gauge Name="PROP ITT ENG1" Version="1.0">
<Copyright>P Wallaert 2013/01/29</Copyright>
<Image Name="Prop_BG1.bmp" ImageSizes="331,331" />
<Element>
<Position X="19" Y="19" />
<Image Name="PROP_ITT_BG.bmp" ImageSizes="293,293" Luminous="Yes" />
<Element>
<Position X="146" Y="146" />
<Image Name="Prop_Needle.bmp" PointsTo="East" ImageSizes="140,64" Luminous="Yes">
<Axis X="32" Y="33" />
</Image>
<Rotate>
<Value Minimum="0" Maximum="1100">(A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE,Celsius)</Value>
<Failures>
<SYSTEM_ENGINE Action="0" />
</Failures>
<Nonlinearity>
<Item Value="0" X="45" Y="182" />
<Item Value="1100" X="248" Y="182" />
</Nonlinearity>
</Rotate>
</Element>
<Element>
<Position X="83" Y="200" />
<Text X="120" Y="54" Bright="Yes" Length="4" Font="Quartz" Color="#FFFFFF" Adjust="center" VerticalAdjust="Center" Multiline="No" Fixed="No">
<String>%(A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE,Celsius) abs)%!4.0f!</String>
</Text>
</Element>
</Element>
<Mouse>
<Tooltip Turbine Outlet Temperature (%((A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE, celsius)) %!d!°C)</Tooltip>

</Mouse>
</Gauge>

Country
austria
Just a short look.
you are missing a ">"

XML:
<Tooltip Turbine Outlet Temperature (%((A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE, celsius)) %!d!°C)</Tooltip>

<Tooltip> Turbine Outlet Temperature (%((A:ENG TURBINE TEMPERATURE, celsius)) %!d!°C)</Tooltip>

Country
newzealand
Thanks guys

Got in working thanks EduHir it was as you pointed out missing the >
Thank you Dave for your help and patience I really appreciate
Thanks Maddz works great all I need to do is find the command that controls the speed of the needle when starting the engine but the gauge looks great

Best regards

Rhys

Country
england
Thanks guys

Got in working thanks EduHir it was as you pointed out missing the >
Thank you Dave for your help and patience I really appreciate
Thanks Maddz works great all I need to do is find the command that controls the speed of the needle when starting the engine but the gauge looks great

Best regards

Rhys

try 80