- Messages
- 1,510
- Country

Hi Arno,
I made a groundpoly in gmax beginning with just 20 non-tiling 1024 .bmps, each one assigned and mapped to it's own separate plane object. I exported that as a model and placed it manually with Instant Scenery 2. I decompiled the placement .bgl and used the coordinates in the GP wizard to turn it into an FS2002 style GP. I saved the placement settings as an .mgp. Since then I added 50 more adjoining planes/.bmps and processed the exported model through the GP wizard using the same initial .mgp. That seems to have worked fine.
Later I made up another remotely located GP for another area on the airport. I also placed it with IS2 and then used the coords in the GP wizard as before. I also saved those settings as .mgp.
I wanted to merge the latter remotely located GP into the first project in gmax so that I could export it as a single groundpoly. I used the coordinate converter to calculate the offset. First I used the coordinates from the .mgp files to calculate the offset. That placed the remote polygons something like 75 meters from their intended location. Next I tried using the coordinates from the original XML placement files in the coordinate converter which resulted in a similar but slightly different position.
The coordinates are as follows:
GP1 (master GP, using this as reference point)
From the .mgp
48.730921559
-116.292871088
HDG: 348.3
From the XML:
48.7309215590358
-116.29287108779
HDG: 348.299560546875
GP2 (remotely located GP, using this as secondary point)
From the .mgp
48.7266374006867
-116.297295838594
HDG: 309.0
From the XML:
48.7265787273645
-116.297353059053
HDG: 308.995971679688
Using the .mgp coords I came up with an offset of:
X= -325.536
Y= -476.410
Using the .xml coords I came up with an offset of:
X= -329.746
Y= -482.934
I merged the polys into the first project and typed the geocentric offsets into the Move Transform type-in. Seems like it should have worked, or at least it should have aligned the secondary polys to within a fraction of a meter or so. It was close, it moved everything basically the right direction, but it seems the Y coordinate is mostly the problem. I did have different headings for each GP, I subtracted one from the other and rotated the second GP by that amount on the Z axis in gmax which also looked about right. Maybe the heading discrepancy is causing the problem somehow?
Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
much appreciated,
Jim
I made a groundpoly in gmax beginning with just 20 non-tiling 1024 .bmps, each one assigned and mapped to it's own separate plane object. I exported that as a model and placed it manually with Instant Scenery 2. I decompiled the placement .bgl and used the coordinates in the GP wizard to turn it into an FS2002 style GP. I saved the placement settings as an .mgp. Since then I added 50 more adjoining planes/.bmps and processed the exported model through the GP wizard using the same initial .mgp. That seems to have worked fine.
Later I made up another remotely located GP for another area on the airport. I also placed it with IS2 and then used the coords in the GP wizard as before. I also saved those settings as .mgp.
I wanted to merge the latter remotely located GP into the first project in gmax so that I could export it as a single groundpoly. I used the coordinate converter to calculate the offset. First I used the coordinates from the .mgp files to calculate the offset. That placed the remote polygons something like 75 meters from their intended location. Next I tried using the coordinates from the original XML placement files in the coordinate converter which resulted in a similar but slightly different position.
The coordinates are as follows:
GP1 (master GP, using this as reference point)
From the .mgp
48.730921559
-116.292871088
HDG: 348.3
From the XML:
48.7309215590358
-116.29287108779
HDG: 348.299560546875
GP2 (remotely located GP, using this as secondary point)
From the .mgp
48.7266374006867
-116.297295838594
HDG: 309.0
From the XML:
48.7265787273645
-116.297353059053
HDG: 308.995971679688
Using the .mgp coords I came up with an offset of:
X= -325.536
Y= -476.410
Using the .xml coords I came up with an offset of:
X= -329.746
Y= -482.934
I merged the polys into the first project and typed the geocentric offsets into the Move Transform type-in. Seems like it should have worked, or at least it should have aligned the secondary polys to within a fraction of a meter or so. It was close, it moved everything basically the right direction, but it seems the Y coordinate is mostly the problem. I did have different headings for each GP, I subtracted one from the other and rotated the second GP by that amount on the Z axis in gmax which also looked about right. Maybe the heading discrepancy is causing the problem somehow?
Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
much appreciated,
Jim
