• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Creating a ground texture (polygon)... possible?

Messages
1,637
Country
unitedstates
Studying many of the threads here, especially the one topic on creating lights, I was wondering if it is possible to create ground polys, using a texture sheet, to create roads based on road data. So instead of placing an object I want to use I would think a "texture.bmp".

Been experimenting with CREATEMATERIAL and CREATPOLYGON but so far no success. No errors listed but then again no agn created.

Is this even possible?
 
I was wondering if it is possible to create ground polys, using a texture sheet, to create roads based on road data. So instead of placing an object I want to use I would think a "texture.bmp".

i think you should be able to do so; excluding the file extension
i called a bmp texture with this statement
SETAGNBUILDINGTEXTURE|*|BLD_IS1

you can assign a different GUID to roads in this way
PLACEPOINTSALONGLINE|FTYPE=LINE;FROMFILE=roads.shp;type=primary|160|5|type|light|hdg
PLACEPOINTSALONGLINE|FTYPE=LINE;FROMFILE=roads.shp;type=residential|60|5|type|light1|hdg
.
.
.
CREATEAGNLIBOBJ|FTYPE=POINT;type=light|{11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111}|hdg|8;8
CREATEAGNLIBOBJ|FTYPE=POINT;type=light1|{22222222-2222-2222-2222-222222222222}|hdg|8;8



hope this helps

Chris,
 
Last edited:
Hi,

You can't create ground polygons as autogen. Those other steps you found are from some "secret" scenproc functionality to create ground polygons. But this functionality is not yet finished. With that you could create a road, but the result are custom ground polygons. So it would work best on flat areas (like an airport).
 
Yea, I thought some of these things I found were not documented. I have been scouring all about to find out what they are and how to use them. Found your 1-hour presentation video, really informative.

At least for now I will stop pulling my hair out trying to create this as it is not possible.. at least at the moment, right?... hint-hint... wink-wink ;)

So Arno, what about that 'CREATEPOLYGON'? That sounds close to what I want but I wish the capability to select a texture (material?) instead of choosing a color. And use this poly on the ground. My idea is to create Lm road textures to replace photoreal roads while at night. Happy to explain in more detail what I am trying to do.
 
Hi,

That would be possible with those ground polygons. It would be a combination of CREATEMATERIAL and CREATEPOLYGONS. And then a EXPORTBGLGP to export them as ground polygon BGL file.

But like I said before, it will only work if the area is flat. Is the areas where you roads are flattened?
 
No, not flat. It would be following the contour of the ground using a combination of photoreal scenery and whatever terrain mesh is applied.
 
But the polygons you can create with scenProc would not. So that means this approach is not going to work.
 
Hi,

The default roads are terrain vectors. You can make those with SBuilderX for example. Maybe you can assign a better texture to them, I never tried that.
 
Back
Top