• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Crosswind Runway Technique

Country
us-virginia
This may be the wrong forum for this question, but it's loosely related to ADE's future professional release, plus all the brains behind the work are here so my chance of getting an answer is pretty good :)

Q: When using airport scenery in fsx designed with the crosswind runway technique I sometimes get vectored to one of the "closed" fake runways. What would be the cause for this? It's an easy fix assuming I'm familiar with the airport. I simply ask for another approach and runway.

One specific example is with Ray's recent release of KLGA. I set up a flight between KIAD and KLGA using the flight planner's IFR mode (vor to vor). I was using the cw runway bgl and I have no other scenery of add-ons that would interfere. This is not the only time this has happened and it seems to happen randomly.

When I looked at the airport scenery using ADE home I couldn't find anything major that might cause this issue.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

kagazi

Welcome kagazi

Q: When using airport scenery in fsx designed with the crosswind runway technique I sometimes get vectored to one of the "closed" fake runways. What would be the cause for this? It's an easy fix assuming I'm familiar with the airport. I simply ask for another approach and runway.

Well you have come to the right place since I am the original founder for the crosswind runway technique
used by many.

When I did my origional studies on the CW technique back in 2004 I was under the impression that all the 10x10 fake runways had to be within the Visual Zone of each ARP of the airport (108NM).

In further studies I soon learned that the airport owns the runways based on the Airport Header and not the visual zone of the airport. With this new information I attached a post to my original tutorial back in 2004 telling every designer that the CW fake runways could now placed anywhere in the world. I don't know how many airport designers ever read that additonal information before the Tutorial was accidently deleted on PAI's web site.

Most of us usually just place them all at the North or South Pole thanks to Reggie's standard Lat/Lon values. Because the fake runways are now thousands of miles away from the 108NM limit that I was using in the early days we no longer see any planes being vectored to the fake runways.

If you are getting a vector from ATC to a fake runway then it could be because the fake runways have not been placed at the north or South Pole or in the case of KLGA the middle of the Pacific Ocean would do just fine.

I will discuss with Ray's his reasoning for putting the fake runways very close to KLGA because they are no where near the north or south pole. Ray does excellent work as a member of our team so I am sure his batteries went dead in the calculator he was using when he fiqured the math. :) :)

In the mean time open KLGA and then in List Menu select runways.
Double click on a fake runway and the Properties window will pop up.
At the bottom in Location select edit. Copy the following Lat and Lon into the proper spaces that turn white and then click ok. Do this for all the fake runways

Lat

Lon

These Lat/Lon's are down at the South Pole.

Reggie's numbers say above 75N for the North Pole and below 75S for the South pole. My decimal is -75 which is south

Last edited:
Jim thank you for your quick reply. I knew you were the originator of this technique and Ray certainly gives you credit. I wasn't aware of the amendment that you posted in 2004, but it would certainly explain why I'm sometimes vectored to fake runways.

Ray does excellent work, I'm using all of his airport scenery and really appreciate everything he does.

Thanks to the ADE team for everything you guys do.

Hi Guys
Thanks Jim for the answer and a simple enough fix
i thought i put the fake rwys more than 500nm south somewhere in the South Atlantic, and all of my testing didn't reveal a problem, clearly it had a problem as kagazi found out....
what i did find strange when running the fault finder it gave the wrong altitude for the fake rwy's for this airport, i thought no more of it as i couldn't see it being a problem that far away.............
no excuses, apologies to kagazi i hope it didn't spoil your flying and i hope editing the fake rwy's cures the problem and i'll keep at it and try to get it right in the future.........

Ray

Not a problem at all Ray. I've seen this in the past with "other" scenery by various developers, but I always attributed it to a fsx bug. I'm going to make the changes Jim suggested and give it another try. Thanks.

Kagazi

Back