• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 curb offset MCX

Country
unitedstates
Hi guys, first of all Happy Holidays to everybody!

Now with the issue I am facing. I am currently trying to model curbs for a parking lot using MCX, The GP gets exported as a ground polygon and the curb as a 3d object. There is an offset between both when seen in P3D4.
I have read several forums about this known issue because of the differences in units and the earth curvature. So I moved both the GP and the curb to the center of the reference (0,0,0) in 3Ds Max. I then exported them with their origin at 0,0,0. This is what I got

test.JPG

test1.JPG
2017-12-23_12-41-25-29.jpg

I even applied the fsx earth curve correction tool to no avail

Thanks for the support in advanced

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 270

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If the ground polygons and the curbes have the same reference point it should work if you apply the earth curve correction to the curbes.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the quick reply!

I did apply the earth curve correction to the curbes
and did it again just in case I missed something

3.JPG

2017-12-23_13-6-4-12.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

So you load the object in the convert and place wizard, then apply the earth curve correction and then press convert to save the BGL? If you do it in any other order it will not work with the wizard. That might be part of the problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I normally don't use the wizard if I want to tweak the model. So what I would do is load the object, add the earth curve correction, set the position in the placement editor and then export as scenery BGL.

But as long as you do the curve correction after selecting the MDL in the wizard and before selecting convert it should work the same. I just never tested it that way.

I do have a test case similar to yours with some ground polygons and a curbe, that always worked out fine.

Country
unitedstates
I tried as you mentioned and exported as scenery BGL instead of using the wizard.

3.JPG
2017-12-23_13-43-40-712.jpg

The model seems to have been flattened or pushed down

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Let me check if my sample still works fine in P3D v4.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Oops, sorry, completely forgot to check this one.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I tested it and it is working fine here on my computer. It's a big test grid with poles on the corners of the different tiles. The grid is done with the GPW, the poles are corrected for the curve of the earth. And it all aligns perfectly in P3D v4. See the image below.

Where on earth are you testing? I see in your screenshots that the elevation is 0 meters, are you are sea level? Having the wrong elevation for the earth curve correction can give trouble.

Also at higher altitudes the drawcall batching can give artifacts, you might want to try with the batching as well.

upload_2017-12-29_21-1-0.png

Country
moldova
Hi, @arno !
I'm trying to place snow layer via SODE, so it will be injected only in HW season... but gues what... it is very much deviated... don't know how to deal with this.
Interesting thing, is that if i place this snow layer in addon scenery, as BGL, it is shown right where it need to be, but if i convert (export) this BGL as MDL, to
be able to inject it in the sim with SODE, it is, how i said, very much deviated from the needed location. I put an screenshot bellow to check that. For clarity,
i've painted textures in pink for BGL file, and blue for MDL. Is there any tricks to get over this issue?
Thank you in advance!!!

y98GaBm.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are you using exactly the same MDL file in your BGL file and as SimObject? And are you sure you used enough digits to specify the location when placing it with SODE?

Country
moldova
Arno, thank you for fast reply!
I used to export from 3ds max only .X file, then, in MCX, with GPW, converted it into BGL. Afterwards, this BGL - converted into MDL. (I've tryed exporting directly from Max as MDL - same result :( )
Don't know if this is enough, but with other SimObjects placed with SODE, it works quite good (there are too a slight deviation, but it's not so bad)? <Placement Lat="47.175597" Lon="27.622021" Alt="0.0#AGL" Hdg="0.0"/>

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
With 6 digits you get around 1 meter accuracy of the model, so more digits would be better. But that doesn't explain the big offset.

The GPW can optimize the reference point, so maybe after processing the model it is located sonewhere else than you thought. If you import the GPW bgl back into MCX you can see the position in the position editor.

Country
moldova
OK! I don't really know what i did, but layer is now where it should to be... Only problem now is that Z-Bias seems it's not working...
1ZUL43k.jpg