• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Curiosity

Country
brazil
Hey guys, I'm studying to make FSX airplanes, and I really want to know how the 'big' airplanes company for FSX make their airplanes? How they model it? How they make the System and the FMGS? How they make de sound....
Somebody here knows?
Thank you for you attention.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
They get the best information they can, from manufacturers usually. They swing whatever contacts available to get into the aircraft and record the actual sounds. They have people who understand how the systems work, know the operating manuals inside out and can translate them into FSX-compatible code. Then they spend thousands of hours on plain hard work.

Piece of cake, really.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Don't forget the $1000s worth of professional 3D modeling software used for modeling every nut and bolt of the real aircraft.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
They get the best information they can, from manufacturers usually. They swing whatever contacts available to get into the aircraft and record the actual sounds. They have people who understand how the systems work, know the operating manuals inside out and can translate them into FSX-compatible code. Then they spend thousands of hours on plain hard work.

Piece of cake, really.
I'm having trouble typing this on my phone because you always make me lmao.

Country
brazil
Ok! I'll study more! And you LionHeart Creations? Could you tell me how did you make that LJ24B systems? And how did you model the cockpit? Someone here wants to make an aeroplane with me?

Country
us-arizona
Lots of hard work. I remember crying (yep, crying) when trying to do my first PFD screen, not fully understanding gauge logic.

I am basically a one man company now. Every now and then, someone will voluteer and help out, paid of course, but most of it now is all inhouse by me. That is a overly huge undertaking with planes like the Learjet was, which took 'over' a year to make. With the Lear, it had in-model coding, and systems coding for effects. The switches and engine management were hardest. Fuel systems work different then FS base code works, so that had to be worked out and was tremendously difficult.

I use Photoshop CS, 3DS Max 2014, the P3D SDK to export models, and it has taken me years to learn how I do all of this.

What I would do if I were you, is start making things in Gmax. Its free. You can export to FSX easily. Learn to make a coded gauge or see if someone will make them for you. Not many people can. You need to learn how to code animations for models as well. You'll need to learn how to make things exactly to scale, perfectly to scale, or people notice the odd measuring and shape issues and will steer clear of your plane just because of photos. Its a massive road. But, if you start simple and 'learn' the basics, you will get there.

If you have lots of money, you can hire people to do the work for you, creating a dream team of sorts and getting the team working well on a plane. You can buy models online, then have a person set it up for FSX, another person paint it, another person create the airfiles, another create the gauges. But....... With the money you spend having all this work done, you then need to recoup your input. With me, on the Lear, it was a flop. Very low sales. People didnt read the manual, they didnt know you CANNOT start a plane cold and dark with a different planes save point that was shut down, so that screwed up their start-ups with it. So a year of hard hard work was nearly for nothing.

So, you might just start out simple, create a freeware plane, launch it, deal with public inputs, reviews, complaints, see if you can handle that, and start moving forward from there.

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
I am basically a one man company now. Every now and then, someone will voluteer and help out, paid of course, but most of it now is all inhouse by me. That is a overly huge undertaking with planes like the Learjet was, which took 'over' a year to make.

Don't feel too bad about long projects....There is a whole team at Milviz on it but our F-4E has still taken 2 years and rising. Happens with all. I think PMDG took 4.5 years on the NGX.....

Country
unitedstates
Start with making a small simple aircraft like a bi-plane so you can improve your work for each project. Creating a complex aircraft for your first project would be a nightmare. The more small projects you complete will give you more confidence to finishing a large project. My latest project will need a FMC and i too am only 1 man team so i will be including a payware integrated FMC that will come to life for customers who purchase the FMC. Saves me months of work and not including fixing bugs. I once wrote my own G1000 panel and never thought i would finish. But after a long month it turned out very nice and even included a remote. I can thank Bill for sharing his code for the remote he designed as i needed some coding i could not write. Almost thought i would fail but after 3 days i was able to bring the remote to life. Ended up with a very nice G1000 and i probably will not try that again. I prefer 3D modeling and gauges over LCD units.:yikes:

Country
brazil
Thank you for the tips guys! I'll start with a simple aircraft, anybody here know a good tutorial?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Uncle Milton's famous C162 tutorial for Gmax. It's for FS9, but FSX modelling doesn't differ that much. Lots of us started with it, including me. :wizard: