• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Custom variable for Brakes

Country
us-florida
MSFS2020 Hello to all, I'm kind of new to all of this, there's an existing Freeware Aircraft that I'm trying to get to work with 3rd Party Program GSX PRO, This Aircraft at one point did not work with GSX PRO due to GSX PRO not detecting Parking Brakes. I took it upon myself to investigate further and came up with a Partial Solution via Trial and Error.

Partial Solution:

To get it to work I Simply added the missing entries to the corresponding files listed Below under [Controls.0] [ParkingBrake=100.00 and ParkingBrake=0.] In the proper places where the entry wasn't present.

I've compared it to another freeware Aircraft to find where the entries belong and added them accordingly to the one that was missing the Entries.

Also, in Systems.cfg Under [BRAKES] I Changed the line from Parking_brake=0 to Parking_brake = 1 ; BrakeTypes enum.

After making these changes, GSX now detects the brakes when applied and now everything works as it should, but when pushback is engaged, and Parking Brakes are Released it doesn't detect, hence giving me the message to release Brakes continuously even after releasing.

I've contacted virtuali one of the Admis over @ GSX via PM and he replied with, GSX uses the same test for parking brakes on set and release, there's no reason it could work any differently. he then asked If this plane is using a custom variable for brakes? If there is a custom varaiable for Brakes where should I Look, and what would I Have to change other than the changes I've already made above to get this to work so that GSX Pro can detect the Parking Brakes being released during Pushback?

List of the Files edited:

approach.FLT
apron.FLT
Climb.FLT
cruise.FLT
final.FLT
hangar.FLT
runway.FLT
taxi.FLT
Systems.cfg

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The value you need is in the aircraft.xml, inside the model folder. The problem is that you would have to edit the glTF file to use the accepted variable that you have edited into the XML file and I don’t know if that is possible.

Country
us-florida
The value you need is in the aircraft.xml, inside the model folder. The problem is that you would have to edit the glTF file to use the accepted variable that you have edited into the XML file and I don’t know if that is
Thanks for the Reply, This Aircraft seems to have its own Custom Variable for Brakes that GSX PRO is not fully Detecting, the edits I made under [Controls.0] by adding the missing entries [ParkingBrake=100.00 and ParkingBrake=0.] in the files I've listed above Bypasses whatever variable is set for Parking Brakes within one of the Aircraft's XML Files but unfortunately is only a partial fix to where it at least allows GSX Pro to be somewhat usable, I'm guessing one of the entries that reference to [ParkingBrake=100.00 and ParkingBrake=0.] somehow overrides something that's actually allowing GSX Pro to partially work with this Aircraft and at least detects when Brakes are engaged to where I'm no longer getting the message [You need to set Parking Brake to request ground services]

Since it's only a Partial Fix the release Parking Brakes issue is present cause GSX PRO cant detect the brakes are released when pushback is engaged. I haven't mess with the Aircraft's XML Files as I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. If there was a way to edit this that would be pretty great so that I can get it to work 100%.

Last edited:
Country
australia
You'd need to edit the aircraft's XML files if it's using it's own custom variables. Where the custom variable is set you'd need to add a line to set the PARKING_BRAKE_SET event.

For example, where the custom variable is set to on you'd add:

Code:
1 (>K:PARKING_BRAKE_SET)

Where the custom variable sets the parking brake off you'd use the same code but use 0 instead of 1.

This is a quick and dirty method and not something I'd do in a professional setting as there are other input sources (e.g. key commands) and they'd need to be accounted for but it might be sufficient for your purposes.

Country
us-florida
You'd need to edit the aircraft's XML files if it's using it's own custom variables. Where the custom variable is set you'd need to add a line to set the PARKING_BRAKE_SET event.

For example, where the custom variable is set to on you'd add:

Code:
1 (>K:PARKING_BRAKE_SET)

Where the custom variable sets the parking brake off you'd use the same code but use 0 instead of 1.

This is a quick and dirty method and not something I'd do in a professional setting as there are other input sources (e.g. key commands) and they'd need to be accounted for but it might be sufficient for your purposes.
Would this be the correct section? I did a Search for Parking Brake related Entree in the Aircraft XML File in the model folder and this is all that showed up PARK_BRAKE_LEVER_POS, Bool but no PARKING_BRAKE_SET entree.

The Variable Entree in one of the XML File's reads this, it is the only Entree I See that differs from any other Aircrafts.

</Component>
<!-- Chocks -->
<Component ID="CHOKES_C_GEAR" Node="CHOKES_C_GEAR">
<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_GT_Visibility_Code">
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
(L:A32NX_PARK_BRAKE_LEVER_POS, Bool)
(A:LIGHT BEACON ON, Bool) ! and
(A:GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION:1, Bool) ! and
(A:GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION:2, Bool) ! and
</VISIBILITY_CODE>
</UseTemplate>
</Component>
<Component ID="CHOKES_L_GEAR" Node="CHOKES_L_GEAR">
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
</VISIBILITY_CODE>
</UseTemplate>
</Component>
<Component ID="CHOKES_R_GEAR" Node="CHOKES_R_GEAR">
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
</VISIBILITY_CODE>
</UseTemplate>
</Component>
<Component ID="PLOTS_R" Node="PLOTS_R">
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
</VISIBILITY_CODE>
</UseTemplate>
</Component>
<Component ID="PLOTS_L" Node="PLOTS_L">
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
</VISIBILITY_CODE>
</UseTemplate>
</Component>
</Behaviors>
</ModelInfo>

Last edited:
Country
australia
Are you looking at the interior or exterior model behavior XML? I suspect the exterior as the code seems to be activating wheel chocks. You'd need to look at the interior code to see if there is anything setting L:A32NX_PARK_BRAKE_LEVER_POS, Bool

But, based on the above code (and the fact that I have no other knowledge of what is going on) you could try the following. This simply inserts an evaluation into the visibility code (you only need to add it to one of the visibility code entries). It checks the same condition as the visibility code and also checks the brake parking indicator. If the brake parking indicator is false (! is not true) then it sets the PARKING_BRAKE_SET. In theory, this should work, based upon the information supplied.

Code:
<VISIBILITY_CODE>
(A:Brake Parking Indicator,bool) ! and
if{ 1 (&gt;K:PARKING_BRAKE_SET)  }

</VISIBILITY_CODE>

Country
us-florida
Ok I will try this and Report Back, as far as the code (A:Brake Parking Indicator,bool) ! and if{ 1 (&gt;K: PARKING_BRAKE_SET) } this set's the parking brake, I'd like to Realease Parking brakes instead if this method does not work shoud i place a 0 where the1 is...Example

<VISIBILITY_CODE>
(A:Brake Parking Indicator,bool) ! and
if{ 0 (&gt;K: PARKING_BRAKE_SET) }
<VISIBILITY_CODE>

Last edited: