• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Design Tutorial for Sloping Runway Scenery

Messages
9,178
Country
us-illinois
HEADS UP ! :alert:

There is an excellent new tutorial just posted by a fellow (who claims he's a "newbie" ! :eek: ) over at Sim-Outhouse (aka "SOH"):


Design Tutorial for Sloping Runway Scenery

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...62-Design-Tutorial-for-Sloping-Runway-Scenery

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...or-Sloping-Runway-Scenery&p=614565#post614565



...Download link (must login first):

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=4465



UPDATE: The above tutorial is also now available for download at other FS websites:

https://www.google.com/#q=Design+Tutorial+for+Sloping+Runway+Scenery


< Many thanks "Wally-Bob" ! :D >

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
The SOH website is well respected in the sim community. I visit the site daily.

The requirement to register is to control spammers and to reduce the 'web attacks' on their site.

Dick
 
I would also remind y'all that we require registration and have some rigorous registration controls :)
 
Don't link to this sites, you must be registered to see the post even ¡¡, I don't trust that

The SOH website is well respected in the sim community. I visit the site daily.

The requirement to register is to control spammers and to reduce the 'web attacks' on their site.

Dick

Indeed, SOH has been around for many years, and only recently began rejecting applications for posting privileges by people using privacy e-mail alias addresses at several free e-mail address domains. :(

IIUC, this was a consequence of misdeeds by entities who used such aliased e-mail addresses when registering (in many cases attempted registration was via "bots" rather than actual individuals).


Because I had registered at SOH quite some time ago, my own privacy e-mail alias address was still allowed to be used after SOH implemented their new registration policy, so this is not a retroactive rejection of older existing privacy e-mail alias addresses, only new ones.


FYI: SOH has a number of interesting and informative forums, as well as a large download library with many quality add-ons by generous and talented authors that is a valuable asset to the FS Community.

I believe the the author of the Tutorial cited above (who apparently is a soldier serving in Iraq), the other SOH forum participants, and contributing authors at SOH download library all deserve to not have aspersions cast on the SOH web domain.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cast+aspersions+on


BTW: Because of this type of posting has been occurring here on a number of occasions, I regret having to state that I believe it would behoove "Tejal Bernardo" to make a more diligent effort to check facts and exercise greater discretion before posting. :rolleyes:


I also do not appreciate having this unnecessary distraction from the good intentions of the opening post (aka "OP")... which was to share potentially helpful info for other FS Developers, while applauding a generous contribution to the FS Community by the author of the Tutorial which was the basis for this thread (aka the "Topic").

In short, it would IMHO be important to give more attention to staying on topic and avoiding grammar which risks alienating other members of the FS Developer Community; we must remember that although this forum welcomes members from the entire international community, English (and "reasonably" comprehensible English grammatical structure) is the declared language requested to be used in these forums.

Although most of us here make an effort to bend over backwards to interpret posts by those for whom English is a second language, it is only proper that we all recognize that it is the responsibility of the poster to ensure posts are more readily understandable and not demanding on the time, energy and patience of others.



I sincerely mean no disrespect to efforts by others to participate here regardless of language challenges that are inevitable in a forum with international participants, but for the moment, I am compelled to state here (if no one else will): adequate self study is necessary for internalized understanding of the English language... just as adequate self study is necessary for internalized understanding of the FSX SDKs.

Although use of an online translation service may help with the English learning process, exclusive reliance on such sites might not always be sufficient for clarity of communication in a predominantly 'technical' forum system such as FS Developer. :duck:


But please be assured, "Tejal Bernardo", that I also share the concern that there are FS websites out there which make inappropriate use of registrants personal information, as well as hosting freeware and payware FS add-on package content by various authors against the wishes expressed by the authors of such packages; I would not knowingly post a link to such a website, and I do make an effort to check facts before posting. ;)

But... that is not the intended "topic" for this thread.


In keeping with the original purpose of this thread, I encourage other FS Developers here to consider reviewing the above "Design Tutorial for Sloping Runway Scenery" as a possible addition to their 'reference library'. :)


PS: If I were a soldier serving in Iraq I'd probably want to see some positive and appreciative feedback for my efforts to put a bright spot in a very risky and stressful tour of duty... so how's about some more posting here by others to say "thanks Wally-Bob !". :twocents:


GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Tried it but my login name and password are not recognized any longer.
Could that be because it is a gmail adress? In which case: what is wrong with a gmail address except that it does not cost you anything?
(I recently noticed, by the way, that my regular provider does not send me any mail from hotmail addresses any longer and I have to go to my webmail to retrieve them).
 
Just to put this in perspective we get between 300 and 400 spam registration attempts per day which I am sure y'all are pleased we stop before they get online to offer you dubious, dangerous and illegal goods ;)

I would also comment that the subject of whether SOH is legit or not is well and truly dealt with. SOH is as reputable as FSDev. If they have spam problems - as I am sure they do - then they, like us, need to deal with them for the benefit of their legitimate users. Obviously if you are having registration difficulties with that site the correct place to flag it is with their admin and not here.

However each is entitled to their own view. Consider this a gentle admin warning to move on :)
 
I was trying to take a look to that post and I was kindly forced to register in his web, first site where I can't see the post even, If someone can see that as usual. congratulations.that is what shocked me.Therefore I not see this kind of links as appropriate for Fsdeveloper website.would be my first interest to express my opionion better but as you can see, english in not my native language, sorry if you have been ofended, I know of your good intentions, but could be the way is inappropriate.I want to make clear that I don't doubt of your intentions.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure that Bernardo's post didn't mean to imply anything about SOH, and the issue with this doesn't concern spam signups. It's all to do with the necessity to sign up to view content, not post. I admit that this is an issue for me, generally I don't see the point of it, and if I need to sign up to a forum to see it (or see all of it) then I won't bother.

I do sign up to some closed forums (I may even be a member of SOH, but how would I know?), but I do resent having to sometimes. Why would SOH need to know who I am if I don't wish to post?
 
I think that I am could be a little rude, the manner maybe a little inappropriate, and reading again the post this not seem to me so agressive as was at my first glimpse, and all you say is totally coherent, I don't know nothing about that website to give any opion, but don't liked that way people is forced to register, not because be SOH, (and yes my english is deteriorating all the moments). it's just that. regards.
 
Last edited:
Hi all.

The tutorial is a good tutorial, and SOH is a safe site to visit. ( It is safe because they do require 'authentic' email addresses, rather than yahoo or gmail...)

I do understand anyone not wanting to jump through hoops to get the tutorial. But of hundreds of millions of web users, it only takes one misfit to crash a website. SOH has been attacked many times, and they are very proactive about security.

This is probably the direction most forums will need to go in order to protect themselves in the future.

Yes, it's sad, but true.

Meanwhile, many thanks to Wally-Bob for the tutorial.


Dick
 
Hello:

I had first seen notice that the above Tutorial was available at SOH (even when I'm not logged in, I am able to see the initial forum post at SOH... so I'm not sure why others are 'unable' to see the OP's post in the SOH thread). :eek:


Because the OP (Wally-Bob) had not included an explicit URL link to the Tutorial package location in the SOH download server, I had posted one here in this thread, knowing that we all have to be logged in at SOH to access the downloads area... just as we do at numerous other FS download sites.


As has been abundantly well explained by now, it is "safe" to register and login at SOH, just as it is at FSDeveloper and at AVSIM Forums and the AVSIM file library download server. :p


http://forum.avsim.net/topic/328666-northeast-new-jersey-5-meter-mesh-terrain/

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Walter+Roberts&CatID=root&Go=Search


If you like this scenery add-on area in FSX, you might also wish to get:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=3nj9.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search



BTW: I just checked, and the above Tutorial is also available on simviation.com... yet another 'trustworthy' FS website that has been around for a long time:

http://simviation.com/1/download?file=building_sloping_runways_w-b.zip&fileId=37549



However, for the convenience of those who may yet be registered at SOH or AVSIM, I offer this alternate information about where to download the above Tutorial (and the excellent scenery package which it discusses as an example) over at flightsim.com.


NOTE: flightsim.com is yet another 'trustworthy' FS website which has been around for a VERY long time:


Thread:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?228403-Hill-Top-Airport-(JY43)-Sloping-Runway\


Hill-Top-Airport-JY43 Download:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=154699


FSX - FSX Scenery FSX Scenery--Hill Top Airport
[ Download | View ]

Name: jy43_hill_top_v1_w-b.zip
Size: 75,038,854 Date: 03-17-2011 Downloads: 905

jy43_hill_top_v1_w-b.gif

FSX Scenery--Hill Top Airport (JY43), New Jersey (NJ), USA. Current real world private airport omitted by MS is now available as a FSX sloping runway. A touchdown tire squealing, smoking rubber - that kind of hardened surface sloping runway. USGS 0.5m Orthoimagery and LiDAR 1/9 arc second source data. Mesh terrain and high resolution day/night photo scenery. Manual includes FSX configuration and installation tips by Walter Roberts (Wally-Bob).


Tutorial Download:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=158353


FSX - FSX Misc. FSX Design Tutorial For Sloping Runway Scenery
[ Download | View ]

Name: building_sloping_runways_w-b.zip
Size: 11,917,165 Date: 08-09-2011 Downloads: 767

building_sloping_runways_w-b.gif
FSX Design Tutorial For Sloping Runway Scenery. "The one aspect that has always bothered me is all the ingredients for sloping runways already exist in FSX."--Wally-Bob. So why are there no sloping runways? Can you apply texture to a surface, make a sloping flatten polygon and locate it accurately within the FSX world? If you say yes, all you need is how to turn that polygon into a hardened surface. It's simple. By Walter Roberts.


Hope this helps ! :)

PS: Please post some more 'thank-yous'... to help make "Wally-Bob's" day ! ;)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
To be recognized on the various FS sites as a contributor by those whom I consider to be the among the developer heavyweights in the FS arena is truly an honor.

FSDeveloper is an invaluable reference resource for the hobby we enjoy. I have spent a sizable amount of time absorbing the tips and techniques from the many Masters of FS development who have shared their knowledge and techniques here.

This being my first post on FSDeveloper and just to dispel any myths about website security, I have just become a registered member - Thanks Jon!
My Military ISP blocks FSDeveloper, SOH, Flightsim and Avsim as potential sources of threats, and apparently registering as a FSDeveloper Member with my Iraqi commercial ISP ...
Paranoia or just the sad facts of the World today?
Sadly we went off topic rather quickly in this thread and down this path.

My second post will be to reset the discussion on Building Sloping Runways.

Wally-Bob
 
Back
Top