• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA "Destructible" scenery

Country
us-virginia
Happy Holidays All!

Don't know you have noticed but RAZBAM is having a "going out of the FSX business" sale. You can get their planes for a song…if somebody will pay you $10 for singing…but I digress.

I filled out my RAZBAM military titles - A-7s and Harriers. The aircraft were some of the first aircraft that had expendable ordnance (Navy for for "droppable bombs and rockets that go whoosh…and all go "Bang" when they hit the ground).

That said, "No AI or static scenery are injured" in the Free Flight air strikes. However, they do mention that it is possible to include destructible scenery in Missions. So how would one go about that?

I've built a replica of the NAS Fallon target ranges (a base and an area where I have had way to much experience with over my time in the Navy…why the heck were we always scheduled in the winter! Cold!).

I assume that if I wanted to have one of the range targets actually "get blown up" the following is, in general, how the mission would be coded.

Assumption: Once a bomb, missile or rocket (maybe just the bombs) is released from the aircraft, it becomes an AI aircraft. For a bomb, essentially a glider with a VERY poor gliding ratio. In Free Flight mode, once the bomb "lands"/crashes it is replaced at that point with an object with a fire/smoke effect. (they may even be using the default FSX effect).

Misson Coding:
1. Set a piece of scenery (e.g. building - an ammo bunker mockup - I'd use one of those Farm quonset huts) into the mission scenery.
2. Establish an area around it - a bit bigger than the object - size depending on the ordnance to be used; the bigger the bomb, the larger its area of "primary ordnance effect"…i.e. a bigger boom=more blast effect.
3. Set an area trigger so that anything entering the area sets off the trigger.
4. If the trigger is tripped, the resulting action are:
- Removed the scenery area.
- Insert sert custom made "smoking rubble" (RABAM effects automatic?)
- Insert "secondary explosions" with sound if applicable
- Insert sound "Ah Ha! Jester's Dead!" or appropriate line from Top Gun or The Flight of the Intruder. ;)
5. There is no step five unless it is part of a Goal, then add all the goal actions.

I am pretty sure this wold work for mobile/AI scenery. Thus you could do the same with a moving truck or boat.

However, before I go down this path, I'd like to be fairly are t is not dead end.

Any thoughts or ideas on the above?

(Please note I am specifically discussing training/range work missions. As a 28 year Navy veteran (non aviator) who has had more than my fair share of planning real world missions–and all that comes with it–I have issues with FSX becoming a "Military sim"…albeit that ship has sailed with the release of TacPack…still)

Last edited:
Country
wales
Will, your 5 steps look O.K. I've used a similar approach when using droppable objects. You could check out the default flour bomb mission, where I got the working details from.
By the way, make sure the objects have reasonable flight dynamics - they will actually drop correctly as opposed to 'straight down'.
Nice work with Pilates Ghost, by the way!
Cheers - Dai.

Country
us-virginia
Dai, Brillant! The flour flour bomb mission! (Insert emoticon forehead slap). It was sitting in front of me the whole time! And I just went out and bought RAZBAM's A-6 because it had similar missions…well it was only $10.

Regarding the flight dynamics: Great point - as of now, I'm using 3rd party aircraft, RAZBAM, Milviz, IRIS, VRS, etc. So it will be their aerodynamics…which all seem pretty good.

I'm glad you liked Pilate's Ghost. The simNovel concept was something I had rattling around in the back of my head for a while. Once I retired from the Navy I finally had a chance to give it a shot.

…SPOILERS ALERT - If you are not finished, don't highlight/change color of the line immediately below!
We may see LaoBan, Jon and Chuck again in the future.
End SPOILERS ALERT

The current project–freeware–will be a few missions for those folks who snapped up RAZBAM military aircraft at their going out of the FSX business sale. Call them "simNovelets" ;)

Thanks for the answer - you have simplified my life immensely. :D

Cheers!
Will

Last edited:
Country
us-virginia
LOL! Yes that is what I meant!

According to my on line dictionary, a Novelette is a short, lite story that is "romantic or sentimental in character."

I definitely don't write romantic or sentimental :cool: …although the protagonist in Pilate's Ghost did hook up with a minor character…but that was just a plot device so I could have him be at certain places, see certain things and say certain things at the right time to keep the story going.…but it wasn't romantic or sentimental…really! :D

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of development for FSX "Mission" mode, but I though you might be interested in the non-mission mode mechanisms for "Damage Modeling" in FS aircraft models (see: "visual_damage" in the Aircraft.Cfg):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/320746-damage-modeling/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#SectionsoftheConfigurationFile

https://www.google.com/#q=FGSX+damage+model

Also, IIUC, SimObject Display Engine (aka "SODE" might be of interest in this regard, depending on compatibility with- or suitability as an alternative to- what is provided in FSX native "Mission" mode and/or via the "TacPack" add-on cited above ...or its 'alternative':

http://www.captainsim.com/products/w001/.

Have fun ! :cool:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-virginia
Thanks again Dai - I "explored" the HTML code for the Flour Power mission (available in the SDK help app) - and was able to set up a basic test mission. Thanks!

Thanks Gary for the links. I'm going to have to study the discussions a bit more - some pretty complicated stuff in there.

Cheers!