• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Difficulty in Creating Initial Static Aircraft Library

I was able to create a library but when I copy/paste to my Addon Scenery folder I also had to move the .bgl file from the SAMM /Library folder to the new /Scenery folder in my Addon Scenery. Is that typical or did I miss something somewhere in creating the library?

Here's the way it happened:

The Library folder was created as C:\SAMM_StaticAircraftMaker\Libraries\MyStaticAircraft
In that MyStaticAircraft folder was .../scenery .../texture and the files MyStaticAircraft.BGL, MyStaticAircraft.txt MyStaticAircraft.xml, and textures.txt

To my Addon Scenery folder I created:
the folder C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\MyStaticAircraft
and then created .../scenery .../texture folders and moved the MyStaticAircraft.BGL file into the .../scenery folder

After adding my new addon folder to the FSX scenery library I am able to place the library objects with Instant Scenery so it all seems to be working for me. I just don't understand why I needed to move the .BGL file rather than SAMM writing it there in the first place.

Thanks,
Les

gadgets

Resource contributor
Les, you haven't mentioned which version of SAMM you are using. But, if the latest version (2.2.01), SAMM will place the library folder wherever you tell it to (normally the \scenery subfolder associated with the Scenery Library item that is intended to display the aircraft.

It seems unusual to have \scenery and \texture folders under SAMM.

Don

I am using 2.2.01 but if I designate a location for the library it seems SAMM writes more files than are necessary. Being new to all this maybe I'm mistaken but I see no reason to have the folders for FS9 and P3DV2, the .dat files the .mdl file, etc. I can see where some of these files are needed for additional work on the same library or models but I see no reason for them to be in my Addon Scenery folders. But, regardless of those extra files, the library .BGL is not written to the /scenery folder where (it appears to me) it must be for FSX to recognize it.

I did check the Don't Use All Files box option thinking SAMM would write only the files I needed (only FSX files) and I left unchecked the option to Save a/c .mdl file but the .mdl file was still written.

I have read the SAMM instructions a couple of times but I must not have a good understanding and the instructions for creating and *using* libraries is not making sense to me. SAMM is a very nice utility and allowed me to make a static model of an airplane I really wanted to use but I obviously need to learn a lot more to make the best use of the program.

Thanks for the help.
Les

gadgets

Resource contributor
Les, it seems you've found a "hard way" to do things. I would need to better understand exactly what you are doing/have done to be able to explain those results. But I can tell you they are quite unusual.

When you ask SAMM to create a static aircraft library, you specify the library name, tell SAMM (via checkbox) to use FS9/FSX or PV2 static aircraft models (which you will have previously created), select the individual models to be included in the library, specify the add-on scenery folder (or SAMMs Libraries subfolder) - and check the applicable radio button - and click on Save Library, SAMM will create a bgl file named as you specified, suffixed with the FS version to which the models apply and copy that file to the addon scenery folder you specify.

The only way you can get multiple library .bgls with different version suffixes in an addon scenery folder is if you tell SAMM to make multiple libraries and save them in that folder. SAMM copies only the library .bgl it just created to the Addon Scenery \scenery folder you specify and the associated textures to its companion \textures folder. SAMM's Make Library function does not does not copy .dat or .mdl files to addon scenery folders or anywhere else.

The only way I can envisage .dat and .mdl files being saved to an Addon scenery folder is if you have chosen that folder as your "Static Aircraft Library" folder - which is a totally different thing from the static aircraft library .bgl file created by SAMM.

The Don't use "All" files checkbox has nothing to do with library creation.

Don

When I create the library it is written to where I tell it to go and in the Libraries folder there, but there is no /scenery folder created. Only a /texture folder. As I understand it, FSX will not add a folder to the Scenery Library unless there is a /scenery in that folder. What I did before was to create a /scenery folder myself and then move the .BGL file to that folder. Does what I'm describing make any sense?

Oh, and no .dat files are written there. I'm not sure how they appeared the other time I tried - probably I specified a path a some point.

Thanks for the help, Don. I'll read the instructions again to see if I can better understand.

Les

gadgets

Resource contributor
Does what I'm describing make any sense?
No!!! It's four simple steps and I have just confirmed (again) it works. It's got to be something you are doing - or not doing.

Please send me three screenshots - one of the main panel on startup (which, I assume, you don't manipulate at all), one of the Make Libraries dialog immediately after you click the Make Library button on the main panel and the third of the Make Libraries dialog just before you click the Save Libraries. As well, please tell me which files, by name, get placed where.

Don

OK... here they are:

edit

edit

edit

Edit:
I'm not sure the images display here. If not, here are links to the images in my Google Docs.

Sorry 'bout that...

Under C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\_TestStaticAircraft
I have:
/Libraries
... /TestAirCraft2
....../texture
......TestAirCraft2.BGL
......TestAirCraft2.txt
......TestAirCraft2.xml
......textures.txt

/Models
.../FS9
....../Textures_SAMM;All
......... (no files)
.../FSX
....../Cessna Skyhawk 172SP
........./texture
.........Cessna Skyhawk 172SP.mdl
.........GlobalVars.dat
.........Materials.dat
.........Other.dat
.........Params.dat
.........Textures.dat
.........TexturesUsed.txt

....../Textures_SAMM; All
......... (no files)

.../P3DV2
....../Textures_SAMM; All
......... (no files)

/texture
Library.ini

gadgets

Resource contributor
That looks exactly right! The problem is that you are using your Addon Scenery folder as your SAMM Library Folder.

Please re-read the second paragraph under CREATING THE STATIC MODEL in the user manual.

To get back on track, first of all, copy the /Models folder from its present location to your SAMM folder and clear the Addon Scenery\ _TestStaticAircraft folder. Then open SAMM and on the main panel enter your SAMM folder as the Static Aircraft Library. (You can have many Static Aircraft Libraries. In my case, I have one for each of my airports. But, let's not complicate things at this stage) Now, click Make Library. Instead of using the Default location, enter Addon Scenery\_TestStaticAircraft folder as your FSX Library Save Folder and check the FSX radio button. Finally, Click Save Library. You should now find a \scenery and \texture subfolders in Addon Scenery subfolder holding the expected files.

Don

Thanks Don. Your instructions worked perfectly.

As for the "second paragraph under CREATING THE STATIC MODEL in the user manual", it still is confusing to me. Also, the opening post in this thread didn't help even after reading it several times. But, as I said, your instructions in the post just prior to this one gave me the result I was looking for.

I apologize for taking so much time and space here. And I certainly don't want to belabor the topic because the lack of understanding is surely my problem so I'll just end it with Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Les

gadgets

Resource contributor
No need to apologize, Les.

I'll take a look at the user manual and see if this aspect can be made clearer.

Don

Not sure if this belongs here but will post it as a reply because I can not see away to make a post.
I have as of now two questions:
1. What is the "default pos" ? I have tried it and can not find the aircraft.
2. I have attemted to put aircraft at locations by using the FSX Map and my pointer on the location copying the cooradance and putting that in the opsitioning page I look all over the air port and they are not to be found. Is their away you can us the FSX settings like "small Gate 1 - Parking etc.?

old and dumb - not realy the lights are just a little dimmer.

Regards
oldfunfly

P.S.
If someone wants to tell me how to Post that would be nice.

gadgets

Resource contributor
If someone wants to tell me how to Post that would be nice.
It seem you've figured it out since your post reached me.

What is the "default pos"
Are you referring to the default position on the Place Static Model panel? If so, it's whatever you want it to be. Enter a position in the Latitude and Longitude fields, click the Set Default Posn button and the next time you open the Place Static Model dialog, the Lat and lon will be initialized to that position.

Is their away you can us the FSX settings like "small Gate 1 - Parking etc.?
No. SAMM doesn't "know" anything about other scenery or airports. Just tell SAMM where you want the static aircraft. I assume you have placed the object library containing the aircraft into an active scenery folder. (Static aircraft are handled like any other scenery objects, i.e., you need both the object and the placement data in an active scenery folder.)

Don