• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Disable Automatic ICAO Replacement

Country
unitedstates
I recently updated AIFP to 3.4.1.6(b). Now when I load any BGL or txt file AIFP automatically replaces some of my newer ICAO designators with those that it think P3Dv4 will recognize. The problem is that in each case I've added on new scenery that uses these new ICAO codes. I've tried updating/adding my scenery within AIFP but the problem still remains. Is there any way to just simply disable this feature within AIFP and let me take the risk as to whether P3D will recognize the code or not? (As previous versions of AIFP have allowed me to do) If not, is it possible to get AIFP to ASK me before just making changes to my files? A screenshot of the window that pops-up is below for context.

Attachments

• AIFP 3.4.1.6(b) Problem.png
    AIFP 3.4.1.6(b) Problem.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 174

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Sorry, there is no way (short of reverting to the earlier release) to disable the automatic updates of ICAOs based on the target version, nor do I understand why you would want to since AI could mysteriously disappear. Yes, I understand what you see as a problem, but disabling that capability isn't the way to solve it.

The feature you are looking for is "Alternate ICAO". For each PV4-nominated ICAO you wish to override, specify an alternate ICAO using the Airport Editor.

Another alternative would be to select as your Target Version the version of Flightsim that most closely matches your AI configuration.

Country
unitedstates
Sorry, there is no way (short of reverting to the earlier release) to disable the automatic updates of ICAOs based on the target version, nor do I understand why you would want to since AI could mysteriously disappear. Yes, I understand what you see as a problem, but disabling that capability isn't the way to solve it.

The feature you are looking for is "Alternate ICAO". For each PV4-nominated ICAO you wish to override, specify an alternate ICAO using the Airport Editor.

Another alternative would be to select as your Target Version the version of Flightsim that most closely matches your AI configuration.
I’ve used the alternate icao function. I just have a hard time telling whether it’s working or not. I can see my changes in the Airport List column (ie- SEQU->SEQM) but if I look at the flight plans themselves in the right column they still seem to display SEQU until I Reroute Traffic, and doing so (1) doesn’t seem to hold through saves (when I reload the FP it’s back to displaying SEQU) and (2) constantly gives me the message seen in the screenshot.

I’ve been working with both downloaded flight plans and those that I create myself for long enough to know how to make sure they aren’t disappearing or flying to a destination that the sim can’t locate. When this external program choses to change ICAOs without my input or without giving me an opportunity to intervene because of what airports it thinks the default simulator has, that does more harm than good. Just a simple “Would you like to make this change?” Would be much more beneficial.

I'm not sure what additional features the newer version had to offer (other than P3Dv% and/or MSFS compatibility). I think for the time being I'll just roll back to an earlier release. In any case... thanks for the reply. Enjoy the holidays.

Last edited:
Country
germany
@ebattle

There are two items you can set under options in the AIFP...

- Allow Any ICAO
- Supress Auto-Check for Alternate ICAOs

Maybe this will help you.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I can see my changes in the Airport List column (ie- SEQU->SEQM)
The Aircraft List is your confirmation that the alternate ICAO has been recognized.
but if I look at the flight plans themselves in the right column they still seem to display SEQU until I Reroute Traffic, and doing so (1) doesn’t seem to hold through saves (when I reload the FP it’s back to displaying SEQU) and (2) constantly gives me the message seen in the screenshot.
That's intentional. The re-routing is done during the compile process.
doing so (1) doesn’t seem to hold through saves (when I reload the FP it’s back to displaying SEQU)
That too is intentional - unless you mean the traffic file. Only the traffic file is affected. When you say "reload the FP" do you mean the flight plan file set or the traffic file. If the latter, please send me both the file set and the resulting traffic file as well as your ICAO_Alt.dat.
(2) constantly gives me the message seen in the screenshot.
No screenshot attached.
I’ve been working with both downloaded flight plans and those that I create myself for long enough to know how to make sure they aren’t disappearing or flying to a destination that the sim can’t locate. When this external program choses to change ICAOs without my input or without giving me an opportunity to intervene because of what airports it thinks the default simulator has, that does more harm than good. Just a simple “Would you like to make this change?” Would be much more beneficial.
The airport complement in the earlier release was a combination of FSX and FS9 updated with FSX attributes where applicable. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you want to revert to that airport complement, all you should need do is select FSX as your Target Version. (The same compiler is usesd for FSX and beyond.)
I'm not sure what additional features the newer version had to offer (other than P3Dv% and/or MSFS compatibility)
There a file in every general release archive named Version History that notes (in cryptic form) all the changes from one release to the next

BushPilot: Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, Alternate ICAO is the feature needed to make work what eBattle wants to do.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Just realized I've been addressing the wrong problem. (My apologizies, BushPilot. You were on the right track.)

eBattle, you used SEQU->SEQM as an example along with PV4. SEQM is a PV5 airport. Presumably, you wish to use SEQM as the ICAO but AIFP, with PV4 as the designated Target Version doesn't "know" about SEQM, is replacing all instances with SEQU. (SEQM was not introduced into Flightsim until PV5, shortly after the real SEQU was closed and replaced by the real SEQM. But, since PV5 doesn't appear on the AIFP dialog, you are unable to select it as the Target Version. An easy workaround might have been possible six months ago.)

So how is AIFP to know about SEQM (position/elevation) if you are using PV4? The only way is if you Collect Add-ons (including SEQM for PV4) - which may be what you mean by "I've tried updating/adding my scenery within AIFP" and enabling one of the options in the Airports menu applicable to add-ons.. But, since you didn't say so, I don't know that.

By Collecting Add-ons and using the various options in the middle of the Airports menu, you should be able to do exactly what you want to. If SEQU/SEQM is the only airport of concern, simply Kill SEQM. (Do you really want both airports displayed by Flightsim?) Otherwise, designate alternative ICAOs.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, assuming you have one of the two options for add-ons enabled, if Alternate ICAOs are not being processed by the compiler into the traffic file, please send me files I asked for in the earlier post and I'll investigate.

Country
unitedstates
Thank you both for your inputs! I don't know how, but somehow I didn't get the notificcations of new activity. Anyhow, I'm not near my computer right now. When I am, I'll continue to try to fix the isue and update you on my progress/provide the files you are looking for.