• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

DLL not loading in Prepar3D v4.2

Country
belgium
I have an odd situation. I am trying to distribute an addon that requires a dll, which was created in Visual Studio 2015 C++, to be loaded into the sim. I used the add-on.xml method. Out of 10 people, 7 are running the addon just fine. But 3 of them are experiencing a problem of the dll not loaded. I confirmed this with an internal diagnostic. I checked the path to the dll in the user's add-on XML file. It is correct. P3D auto-detect worked fine and the users accepted it when first starting the sim. The entry for the dll show in the simulator Add Ons menu as enabled. The driver is simply not loading.

What would cause this to happen on only some users but not others? Any ideas?

jex

Country
ca-ontario
Make sure that your testers use prepar3d v.4.2. It can be checked in prepar3d Menu > Help > About.
If you compiled your dll with simconnect sdk v.4.2, it will not work with p3d 4.1 and early versions. Hope this helps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
Do they have content error logging enabled? That might help you find more details.

Country
belgium
I had them do that. It showed a few errors like "Error: Invalid unit specified for "A:ADF STANDBY FREQUENCY": "kHz ". But nothing that would indicate a propblem with the dll driver.

"

Country
belgium
I have compiled it using the Multi-threaded (/MT) runtime library option in Visual Studio 2015. That should eliminate any dependency issues that would make it run on my computer, but not others. Correct?

One commonality is that the 3 computers having the issue are running Windows 10. The DLL file is installed in the C:\Program Files directory structure. Could this be some kind of access permissions/Windows 10 issue?

Country
russia
It showed a few errors like "Error: Invalid unit specified for "A:ADF STANDBY FREQUENCY": "kHz ". But nothing that would indicate a propblem with the dll driver.
May be the reason is Character Set in the project properties. Does your users have different locals/languages in Windows?
The PDK states for "Use Multi-Byte Character Set", by the way example projects are configured as "Use Unicode Character Set".

Country
belgium
The users are all using English. The project is configured as "Use Unicode Character Set". If it were a language issue, would that prevent the DLL from loading?

ddawson

Resource contributor
Country
canada
Speaking of Unicode, it is entirely possible that the users having trouble have managed to mess up their dll.xml files by attempting to edit them.
dll.xml and exe.xml, among others, are now stored in Unicode format - a fact not understood by some number of simmers.
You should probably get the users having difficulty to check for dependencies on their system:
http://www.dependencywalker.com/