• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Effect sounds not playing

Messages
63
I have for some time been using Alan Constables AI sound set with no problem, recently however the AI sounds have ceased, occaisionally an AI jet will pass me with the default sound, but often they are completely silent, the ground vehicles too which are setup with their own sound folders.

I have carefully checked the paths etc and no problem there, I also installed the startup files provided by Alan with his set, these are a set of sound files that reside in the root sound folder and are called by an effects file triggered by a light call in the aircraft.cfg, but even these are no longer working, I have all the sound sliders set to around 50%.

I am thinking I amy have to completely reinstall to fix this but am naturally loath to go down such an arduous route to fix something that may in fact be relatively easy, does anyone know what FSX uses to play these sounds, is it the aiplayer.dll?

I cannot think of anything I may have done to cause this, especially as it is affecting the ground vehicles as well which I never alter anyway.

Any suggestions welcome and hoped for before I head down the long winded reinstall route.:eek:
 
Do you have SP2 update or ACC. Try re installing the update again.

Maybe you installed an addon that is causing this issue. Does it use FUIPC?

Hope this helps. DG:cool:
 
Hi DG, The current state of the sim is upgraded to Acceleration, the way the sounds work is thus:

They reside in a set of .cab files in named folders, the soundai.cfg points to this folder in this fashion:

[fltsim]
alias=Traffic_Sounds\Jets\AI_Airbus_380\Soundai

The Traffic_sounds folder resides in the Simobjects\misc folder, as do the ai aircraft, this is as per the setup instructions and has so far worked OK, plus there is the strange issue of the default ground ai being equally silent.

I don't think this has anything to do with FSUIPC though.

Thanks for your reply!
 
I ran a repair on acceleration but it has not made any difference, oddly the ai planes are not silent, they are playing the default sounds, as if it is ignoring the soundai.cfg
 
A further trial involving reactivating an old install has revealed an odd conundrum, the sounds have not returned, but the sim is now playing the default sound files and ignoring the path in the soundai.cfg so a Lear 40 taxis out, the soundai.cfg of which is requesting it uses

[fltsim]
alias=..\Misc\Traffic_Sounds\Jets\AI_Lear_45\soundai

but in fact it is using the xai_smjet01.wav in the root sound folder.

Why would it do that? the path is correct for the soundai file so why is FSX ignoring these paths?

I am wondering if this is a windows7 thing but cannot see how. Is anyone else using these sounds?
 
Last edited:
Hi Kim

I am Alan Constable! any ai aircraft will play the default xai_??? sound found in the main sound folder if the path of the soundai.cfg is not found!
I suggest you back track the path to the Traffic_Sounds folder, a single full stop or a dash missing in the cfg's will cause the sounds to use the default sounds. I would also check f you have moved your ai aircraft into a different folder, as you will notice in this soundai.cfg alias=..\JFTrafficX\JFAI-AllAircraft\Traffic360_Sounds\Jets\AI_B737\soundai
See the ..\ is asking FSX to jump out of two folders in order to link up with sounds thats in the Misc folder. If the ai Aircraft is in the same folder\Directory than the Traffic_Sounds folder then the soundai.cfg would be alias=JFTrafficX\JFAI-AllAircraft\Traffic360_Sounds\Jets\AI_B737\soundai. Regarding your ground vehicle sounds, they have their own sounds and are not connected any way with Traffic_Sounds. Again refering to a previous post As FSX is unable to play ai startup and shutdown sounds,I tried for years to get FSX ai aircraft to use start-up sounds,the nearest I could get was to add an effect to a nav light linked with a startup sound file ,which was the first action the ai aircraft made upon pushback.

Hope this helps

Regards Alan
 
Back
Top