P3D v4 Effects file location

I today had some trouble with ModelConverterX when I tried adding some dynamic lighting to some models. The newly exported models showed up fine, but the light effect did not show in P3D. After some trial and error I found the issue to be that the effects file that ModelConverterX created needs to be placed in the main effects folder inside the P3D root folder and not in the seperate effects folder I had created and registered via an add-on.xml file.

Now my question is, if there is a way while exporting a model as BGL to tell it to also look for the effects files in folder I created myself. This would make it much easier for me to keep all files belonging to one add-on together in a seperate folder outside the main P3D install.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

As far as I know they always need to go to the main effects folder. I'm not aware that you can setup a custom effects folder now, but I might have missed some of the recent P3Dv4 changes.

Hi,

As far as I know they always need to go to the main effects folder. I'm not aware that you can setup a custom effects folder now, but I might have missed some of the recent P3Dv4 changes.
I think if MCX has an option that will be able to read the add-on xml file and search for the scenery, texture and effects' file path written in the xml file, then it will be very effective. I hope you can implement this feature in the near future Arno.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I don't think MCX needs to be aware of the add-on.xml file to be able to create a BGL or MDL file. Maybe only to make the rendering of effects more like in P3D v4.

Hi,

I don't think MCX needs to be aware of the add-on.xml file to be able to create a BGL or MDL file. Maybe only to make the rendering of effects more like in P3D v4.
You are correct. Its not needed to create BGL or MDL. It just needed for the rendering. My point is, if that was possible, then it will make easier for us to just add the addon xml file and every path is written there directly. MCX will read the texture, scenery and effect file from there itself.