• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Elevation

Messages
30
Country
us-california
Hey guys,
still new at scenery design here...I am working on a scenery of Madeira Airport in portugal. The runway runs from one mountain side to the other and is held up by a huge bridge in between. The FS version has just a flat area (typical). How, if possible, can i change the elevation about mid runway so that I can insert the bridge? Dont worry about makin the bridge im doin it in g-max. Any help would be greatly appreciated... :teacher:

Images
http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/airports/airports-madeira-001.jpg <<<BA approaching the land end of the runway.

http://www.ttt-madeira.com/assets/images/airport_002.jpg <<< the whole grey portion is elevated.

http://www.agsa.com.br/page/imagems/pes_inter.jpg <<< you can easily see why they needed a "bridge"

Thanks alot!
David Biggar
david.biggar@gmail.com :wizard:
 
Last edited:
Hi David,

This is rather difficult question. It depends on which tools you are using.

When you are using the Fs2004 gamepack of GMax and AFCAD/XML for the runways, it is not possible to place a 3D object under the runway (it will shine through the runway). So in that case you would have to design the whole runway manual as well.

When you are using the Fs2002 techniques it is possible, just look at the Madeira sceneries that already exist. I have not tried it, but maybe you can place a Fs2002 runway on a Fs2004 GMax bridge (with platform).
 
So I can make a runway texture in g-max, apply it to the bridge, then make an afcad without the visual runway, you know placing the nodes and the node links only. (The taxiways are all on level ground.) If it is done this way, how would I make the textures for the runway? Do I have a part for the start, and some sections for the rest?

David Biggar
david.biggar@gmail.com

PS Thanks for the help Arno, I got the platform to work.
 
I found out that you can change elevation inside a FS Default Airport's flatten by using the program FSTflatten. I made a series of new flattening switches that adjusted elevations around the airport, as a test, I took the area around runway 23 and decreased the elevation from 59m to 1m, and it worked. So, I am assuming that new flattens automatically override the FS Default ones.

David Biggar
david.biggar@gmail.com :cool:
 
Yes, that is what the flattens do. But do you think this will also allow you to put the bridge under your runway? I would be very interested to know if that works :).

When you create a custom runway in GMax, I don't think you can use the default runway texture. It is constructed for the default runways and the scenery engine knows how to use it. It is probably easier to create your own new texture.
 
Today I am installing a few tests, I am finishing the flattens, then I'm going to install a short bridge as a test. I'll inform you about how the scenery reacts.

David Biggar :D
 
Any updates for putting a runway on a bridge in FSX?
I designed a bridge in GMax but the runway is hidden under it, even if the elevation of the bridge is slightly lower.
 
Hi,

I think you need to make a custom runway as well. 3D objects are indeed shown with higher priority than the runways.
 
Thanks Arno,
the custom runway option seems to work very well. Still working my way through runway lights, which seems tricky.

As far as the exact elevation of the runway which I placed with the OPT it seems like I experience a bump when taxiing on and off the runway from the apron/taxiway. I build the airport with ADE9x. What is the best way of integrating the custom runway?

Thanks,
John
 
Here's what my custom runway looks like.

Runway.JPG
 
Ok. Cool! Very nice.
But I'd rather design my own virtual airports, hence I need to build my own objects.
Is there a sharing area on this forum? I couldn't find any.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top