• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX eliminating default coastline

Country
england
I'm progressing slowly with SbuilderX and photoscenery but have a basic question where the default coastline extends beyond the photoscenery. The question is what is the way to eliminate the default? in simple terms please for a simple person ;) Thank you.

Country
unitedstates
Simple terms? I'll try, but no guarantees.

Most of the terrain work in FSX involves excluding the default and then replacing with new data. Simple.

It sounds as though your task involves a "few" steps. First understand that coastlines are not an automatic product of water. You could place a coastline in the middle of a desert or town, if you wanted to do that. If you are showing land and coastlines outside of your photo scenery area you need to exclude the water area and the coastlines. That's two separate tasks. Then you need to add back the water to match up to your photo scenery. I'm guessing you don't want coastlines, as they would or should be a part of the photo scenery. You can add in wave activity along your photo coastline, if so desired.

Country
england
Thank you but I was really hoping for something a bit more practical, like what do I open in SBX and which tool to use etc. (exclude tool does not list default ground) I've got a test photo to show what I need to remove. I'm managing to blend the coastline OK it's only where the default land extends beyond the photoscenery.

coast.jpg

GHD

Country
england
You need an exclusion polygon (exclude all hydro polygons) which intersects the default coastline shown in your shot. You also need another one at the same position to exclude coastlines.

Note. These will exclude the hydro-poly to the QMid11 limits so you will need to create a new hydro poly which follows the photo coastline and blends to the default coastline at the boundaries.

Country
england
Thanks George. I've managed to exclude coastlines ( far more than I wanted though) but I can't find the 'exclude all hydro polygons' one in the drop down list. Every other 'exclude' is there but that one. Tried GPS_Hydro_Polygons but nothing changed.
Am I looking at the wrong thing altogether?

GHD

Country
england
Thanks George. I've managed to exclude coastlines ( far more than I wanted though) but I can't find the 'exclude all hydro polygons' one in the drop down list. Every other 'exclude' is there but that one. Tried GPS_Hydro_Polygons but nothing changed.
Am I looking at the wrong thing altogether?

I should have said Exclude_All_Water_Polygons, exclude WP GPS doesn't work in FSX.

This shows the exclusion and the replacement hydro-poly is shown as green vertices:

Country
england
OK George, I think this is all getting too complex for me :confused: I may have to go back to something more simple like Nuclear Physics or painting AI aircraft again. Thank you for your help; it is appreciated.

Country
us-washington
Catz- This might help. The term is hydro_generic_ocean_perenial - click on that. Here's something I got quite some time ago to make an island. I used this a few days ago to get rid of a piece of land on the shore and rebuild a spit of land just off shore. Only the second rather successful time I've done this but it did work.

The other guys, especially LCSiims is helping me with photoreal. Look at my last post with the red terrain, hahaha! I'm getting there.

Try this- I hope this will clear things up a bit. It's what I use.

Try this,

1) Draw a polygon around the island (make a little bit larger than the island) and mark it as Exclude__WaterPolys. This will "erase" the existing water and hence erase the existing island. If you save and compile now you will see a broad expance of trees. This is one QMID 11 grid. Point the plane north and slew to the south-west corner. Zoom out so you can see the whole grid.

2) Make a polygon just outside the corners and mark it as Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial. Now you have a new patch of water.

3) Trace the new island shoreline and mark the poly as PolygonHole. This can be done by selecting the poly button in the menu, and clicking on the poly and right click and near the bottom of the selections is the command "Set as hole". Then choose the large water poly as the parent poly. The area that you set as hole should turn white or clear. If it doesn't you didn't select the poly right. you must be in poly mode to set it as a hole. This will make the island.

Build and have a look in FSX. You should see your new island. If you see nothing but water, the hole step didn't go right. If you see all trees the Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perenial poly wasn't done right.

You don't need to worry about the exclusions affecting any mesh. It won't.

When you do the shore lines, Go clockwise for lakes and counter-clockwise for Islands. Don't worry too much about this as you can reverse the direction of the line.

Regards, MatthewS
Edited by Joe Watson

Joe W