• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Environment Map

Messages
150
Country
us-idaho
I have been experimenting, or rather teaching myself how to make environment maps. Last night I was finally able to achieve the expected effect in MCX. The problem is after I export to FSX the face with the reflection texture is non- existent. It works fine if I do not add a reflective texture and use specular only. I was wondering if the reflective texture should convert as it's own texture or does it merge with the diffuse texture somehow? After export there are only two textures, the specular and the diffuse which is why I say that. What's the problem?

Note: no errors in the event log


Thanks for your help.
 

Attachments

  • mcx.JPG
    mcx.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 967
  • fsx.JPG
    fsx.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 823
Hi,

Did you save it as a cube map? That's required for fsx. Missing polygons can be caused by missing textures, so double check all textures you use are there.
 
How I made my reflection:
one diffuse texture
one specular (the same that the diffuse but with the alpha)
one reflection (the cubemap)
And in special funcionality: Blend environment by inverse diffuse alpha.
And what is better it worked, I am talking from a bad memory and with the materials setting in the pc screen. could be I forgot something.
Edit:anyway there is something no fit here I blend environment by inverse diffuse alpha, not sure but I think I no had not alphas in the diffuse texture.:confused:
Edit : checked ¡¡ this have alpha chanel too, so I gues diffuse and specular are the same.
 
Last edited:
It's working great now! I was unaware that MCX was not placing the cube map 1.dds in the texture folder when I was converting as it did with all the other textures. I believe that is because it did not need to be converted?


Thanks!
 
Hi,

If a texture is already in the desired format it will not be converted in general. And I also don't think ModelConverterX can save a cubemap already, that's something I might have to fix :).
 
What I'm finding is that I cannot minimize the drawcalls in my model if I'm using a cube map on parts of it. Doing so will cause any texture with a cube map to be invisible when placed in FSX. Otherwise it works fine. My plan at the moment is just to export the parts of my model that require a cube map separately and not minimize the drawcalls with those parts. Then export the parts of the model without the cube maps allowing me to minimize draw calls on those parts separately. If I understand correctly then, if MCX could save cube maps I would not have to use this workaround. That would be cool as cool as your converter already is ;).
 
Hi,

Yes you are right. Minimizing drawcalls with cubemaps is not working now. I'll add it to the todo list :)
 
Hi,

I have made a bug fix now, from the next development release the environment map is skipped by the drawcall minimizer. It does not make sense to combine it with other textures anyway.
 
Back
Top