• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Eod

Messages
6
Country
caymanislands
Is anybody else using EOD?(Easy Object Designer)
In it there is an option to,
CREATE INTERACTIVE ELEMENTS
This allows u to create a frequency to tune to for your scenery to move. And yet it doesn't give you an option to change a route, it doesn't give you a default route, it doesnt even select an option... ne ideas about this any1?

:scratchch :confused:
 
I am afraid you won't find many EOD users anymore. Without wanting to be rude, EOD is really an antique tool that is ready to be placed in a museum. Most of the code it uses is still from the time of Fs98, so it is not of much use anymore. Therefore most designers have switched to other tools like FSDS or GMax.
 
True, it isn't supported anymore, but it is an excellent and polished tool and creates sceneries that work perfectly in FS2004. I know, I have created all my airports with it (along with AFCAD and FSSC). It is also easy to use, unlike most other software out there that I came across!

I don't think it does dynamic scenery though. If you want to see what it can do, you can do a search for "Tim Clayton" on AVSIM and download some of my airports - this will give you an idea of whether it is right for you...

Arno is right though - eventually it is going to become obsolete.
 
I used EOD also for my EBOS scenery. I'm aware that I will have to change designer program when I like to change the scenery into the FSX world.

I'm wondering if their would be a tool to transfer EOD objects into the modern languages (XML) or in gmax, so that I don't have to redesign all the objects.

B. Rgds
Michel
 
Hi, despite what Arno says, it may well be a Museum piece, I use it all the time. For simple folk like myself it is a boon. I design items with EOD and place them with FSSC. I like rows of trees. I like groups/forests of trees. And it rotates the trees to the user without using any other program like the MDL tweaker, which btw is another great program. I use EOD/FSSC for all my runway/taxiway lighting as well with FSSC.
All this extra scenery cuts down the fps rate dramatically of course but I don't care - it is the look I am after.
The facility you mention is perhaps the very beginning of animation! You design a hanger with doors that are open or closed - there is no movement in between - that is about the limit. This is activated by the NAV frequency you decide on. Arno's CAT program does it much better because you can use an actual animation and watch the doors open and/or close.
As timclayton says it is very easy to use and not supported anymore but still it has certain elements that I like.
 
Last edited:
Hi all, thought I'd add a comment. This discussion is familier to me, not necessarily specific to EOD, but in a general sense, we've often heard about older tools "working just fine", written by folks that have comfort with the older tools and prefer to see those tools persist.

I would like to point out that there is a difference between "working fine" in appearance, and being a wise tool to use.

If folks wish to use an older tool, and they enjoy the results, no problem, but I would never wish to see any user be told such a practice is wise. It is not wise.

So, if a user is in a position to learn a tool, lets all agree to motivate toward the modern toolsets. As teachers, we'll be doing that user a big favor, and as consumers of their scenery, we'll also be way better off to be enjoying scenery coded in the latest fashion.

Best,
Bob
 
Hi Michel,

I'm wondering if their would be a tool to transfer EOD objects into the modern languages (XML) or in gmax, so that I don't have to redesign all the objects.

I am working on a tool that will allow the import of API macros and then the export of a MDL object for FsX. So that should allow you to use the objects with the latest XML techniques.

But that does not give you new source code of course, to be used in a tool like GMax. So I guess it is mainly useful if you just want to use the object. If you want to alter or improve it, starting again in a modern tool is probably the best choice.
 
Hello!

I recently "turned" from API to FSDS too, and I'm very interested in your project of a "converter" from API to mdl.
Thanks for this development, and hope for success.
Pierrot - FMEP
 
Hi Arno,
I'm wondering if the tool you are referring too, is now already available?
Many thanks
Michel
 
Yes, check out the ModelConverterX tool available form the ModelConverterX forum at this site.
 
Back
Top