• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ESP SDK licensing vs... FSX SDK Licensing

Country
france
Hello,

I've read a lot of things about ESP SDK licensing (and MS Volume Licensing), but I am not totally sure of what's possible with it.

I would like to use the resample tool in a production environment. The FSX SDK EULA forbids this kind of use. Is it possible to use this tool with the ESP SDK and its licensing model ?

If the answer is yes (I hope :)), it stands for FSX. Is there any way to do the same with the FS9 resample tool ?

Regards,

Fabien

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Interesting question, can you maybe explain a bit more. I think as long as you use the SDK tools to create an addon for the platform they belong to it should not be a problem. Are you saying you want to use resample for non-FS purposes?

Country
france
Hi Arno,

As a matter of fact, I would like to create an "on-demand" terrain download service for FS.
This requires the resample tool to be used JIT on a production server to produce some terrain sceneries for FSX.

The FSX SDK EULA mentions "Testing does not include staging on a server in a production environment". That's why I am asking on ESP SDK licensing model.

fabien

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Please note that the ESP SDK will continue to be available to US and Canadian residents only for a very limited time, according to my MS sources.

The $99 ESP SDK should provide you with the coverage you seek for use of the resample tool, and is fully compatible with FSX scenery, since ESP1 is identical to FSX SP2... :D

We have announced that licenses will remain available for purchase through Dec 31st 2009 for the volume license program, and through Feb, 2010 for the single license web purchase option.

Beyond that, I imagine we'll be making additional announcements by the end of June (since that's when the shutdown period is supposed to end, beyond that, there won't be anyone to write or release the announcements :-> ). Unfortunately, when lawyers are involved, it takes a while to get to the point where announcements can be made :-<

All I can say is we hear ya, we feel the same way, and we're looking into possible solutions.

Tim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com/

Last edited:

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Country
peru
Please note that the ESP SDK will continue to be available to US and Canadian residents only for a very limited time, according to my MS sources.

The $99 ESP SDK should provide you with the coverage you seek for use of the resample tool, and is fully compatible with FSX scenery, since ESP1 is identical to FSX SP2... :D

One question, will Ms ESP be available to purchase until this year?

I don't understand the topic about licenses, are you talking about the SDK license or the ESP license?

Will MS ESP not be sold after 2009?

Thanks.
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima Perú

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
One question, will Ms ESP be available to purchase until this year?

The current information is that it will be until the end of the year yes.

I don't understand the topic about licenses, are you talking about the SDK license or the ESP license?

This topic is about the SDK license, as that is the only part needed here.

Will MS ESP not be sold after 2009?

I think nobody here knows. Since the ACES team is no longer there, so it will not be developed anymore. I don't know how many people are still using it, but I don't think it is a big group. So I would not be surprised if at a certain moment MS stopped selling it.

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Country
peru
The current information is that it will be until the end of the year yes.

This topic is about the SDK license, as that is the only part needed here.

I think nobody here knows. Since the ACES team is no longer there, so it will not be developed anymore. I don't know how many people are still using it, but I don't think it is a big group. So I would not be surprised if at a certain moment MS stopped selling it.

Thank you Arno, the current Ms CEO took a wrong decision to close a project with future.

They should sell that product to other company, i think Ms ESP is very powerfull product with high quality.

Bad CEOs, bad decisions, waste of money on good past investments.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Country
us-indiana
Hi guys,

I've been looking to purchase a single license of the ESP SDK, but all I find requires a minimum of 5 seats. Where can you purchase a single seat?

Thanks!

Country
us-indiana
Thanks Bill! :)

I installed Silverlight and now everything is working.

Last edited:
Country
us-indiana
FYI, the ESP SDK is no longer available as a single seat license. I ordered it June 1st and spent all of today trying to figure out where the order is by trading e-mails with MS and they finally informed me it is no longer available.
:mad:

Country
us-virginia
Hey Sundog,

If you still have a copy of the emails you traded concerning the single seat license you bought, could you forward those to me at:

timgreg at microsoft dot com

The single seat license is supposed to be available through February, 2010; so if someone told you it isn't available anymore, my boss needs to go set them straight (or at least find out why it changed) :-> The volume purchase option is supposed to be available at least through end of Dec, 2009.

Also, were you looking for a seat license for an actual installation, or just a development station? If all you want is a development license, with no actual product installation, you could also get the MSDN Operating Systems subscription at $699, which includes download access to the ESP 1.0 ISOs (3 for the program - DVD sized, 1 for the SDK - CDROM sized).

Country
us-indiana
I'm in the middle of moving right now, so I'm not online much and my line is going going to be moved this week, but if I can track down the e-mails tomorrow morning I'll forward them to you. BTW, I didn't order ESP, just the SDK.