• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS -Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The whole point of MSFS is it's ability to stream ground imagery and content such as photogrammetry. You need the internet to do this. If this is not an option, you would be better served to stay with FSX. Also be aware that MSFS is 2 seasons. There is an addon that will allow you to swap out seasons, but that would have to be downloaded as well.

You can use the sim without an internet (at least with the steam edition), but you need the internet to download updates, which are sometimes over 100GB in size. And the sim will be updated every other month or so. What you will see is a landclass representation of the world that is a bit better than FSX.

Air Traffic Control is not very advanced yet.

Offline:

offline.png

Online:
online.png

Last edited:
Country
canada
You cannot run the program without the internet in that you are validated that you own MSFS. Unless you are in a country that allows you to purchase the DVDs, and the you need to insert disk one. :p

Country
us-indiana
Thanks for the reply on information of the Internet. I didn't know that some countries are allowed the CD's (DVD's) - interesting. Why not any country...? WarpD, you are incorrect. In FS2004 (FS9) and FSX, it doesn't matter which FD (or any aircraft that has an FD), none of them respond correctly when flying in manual mode even though the Nav radios are set correctly and with APR/APP button selected but AP turned off. I can only trust Probst (sp?) FD but only if the OBS is set to the runway heading. Mr. Probst's FD is an adi.gau type gauge so I can't see the code. Even though recommended to set the OBS, that is not how the real world FD's work - or for that matter the CDI and GSI either. However, the FS9's and FSX's CDI and GSI at least provide the proper horizontal and vertical guidance (a "bee line" as is said). When I use the FD flying in manual mode (again, any FD in FS9 or FSX), it sort of works but wanders more like a homing pattern - like an ADF instrument provides in windy conditions. It's been a real frustration over these years. I don't know about P3D but I did write the developers of MSFS2020 describing the problem but got no response. That is why I asked about it in this forum.

Country
us-ohio
WarpD, you are incorrect. In FS2004 (FS9) and FSX, it doesn't matter which FD (or any aircraft that has an FD), none of them respond correctly when flying in manual mode even though the Nav radios are set correctly and with APR/APP button selected but AP turned off
If all the aircraft I've done behaved that way, I would be out of a job. Since the majority of my work is in the flight training industry... I think I can safely state that I see the FD behave correctly. However, I've never paid any attention to any default aircraft, to be honest.

Country
us-indiana
To rhumbaflappy, thank you for the pictures. The "live" scenery is truly amazing. As recommended, I'll probably stay with FSX, actually I use FS9 primarily as I mostly "fly" under IFR using IMC and also because of the investments I have with FS9. FSUIPC developers even made using FS9 easier by allowing FSUIPC and WideFS usage for free.

To WarpD, I specified in comment (#700) that I was wondering if MSFS 2020 had improved its FD operation. And then you concluded in comment (#705):

If all the aircraft I've done behaved that way, I would be out of a job. Since the majority of my work is in the flight training industry... I think I can safely state that I see the FD behave correctly. However, I've never paid any attention to any default aircraft, to be honest.

You interjected and yet did not provide any useful information. I don't know what "aircraft you've done behaved that way, you would be out of a job" or what your background is in "flight training industry but if your performance is anything like your comment in #705, I wouldn't trust your work or opinion. On top of that, you add a condescending remark: However, I've never paid any attention to any default aircraft, to be honest. To be honest, that was the whole point of inquiring about MSFS2020. I didn't mention anything about addons.

I also have not found any XML gauge in which its FD works properly, flying in manual mode. It seems the XML programmers use: (A:Autopilot flight director bank, degrees) and (A:Autopilot flight director pitch degrees) but these are not providing the correct information when the AP is turned off Again, I don't know your background but I've been flying real aircraft since 1994 and I use FS to sharpen my skills under IFR procedures where applicable. Currently I don't have the time to hone in my XML skills, let alone learn and become proficient in C, not to mention now, html. I was just hoping that MSFS2020 improved in its accuracy of instrument displays. I'd invest in P3D or MSFS2020 if I knew that the FD corrections were made.

Country
us-ohio
I'm totally baffled at how stating I've not touched any default aircraft is a condescending remark. I really don't see that.

Country
unitedkingdom
FTSS, if you want to get the best out of any game-based computer flight simulator in an effort to gain or maintain flying skills, I would suggest you stay away from default aircraft and invest in one or more of the so-called 'study-level' add-on products available. They will far more accurately simulate correct systems behaviour, and it's highly likely you'll find a product that relates to whatever aircraft you fly - as you state you've once tried a 737 simulator, I assume you are a GA pilot of some description.

As a military and airline pilot of well north of 20,000 hours' experience, I can assure you that you can find several FSX/P3D aircraft that behave properly, and I am sure that they will be on offer in MSFS as well.

Country
us-indiana
To Tim Collins. I do have quite of investment in hardware and software for FS9, some in FSX. And you are correct. iFly747 FD's behaves correctly. But unfortunately, I'll never fly a real B747. And I'm certainly not going to invest in hardware for that. Also there is no way to import that gauge in a GA aircraft that is "realistic" to that aircraft. You are correct again, I am a private pilot and fly my brother-in-law's Cessna 182, mostly in the western slope of the Colorado Rockies. I also come from a family that flies. My uncle, before retirement, flew the DC8, B707 and B747. My brother, before his retirement, flew many aircraft, the latest was a DC9, and his son-in-law now flies for the same company. My nephew, brother-in-law's son, is a retired Air Force F-16 pilot and now flies a B737. And of course, my brother-in-law is a private pilot. But we all dab, I more than the others, in the flight sim world as well. We've all reviewed the FD's for FS9 and FSX and they just do not behave properly flying in manual mode. I was just hoping P3D or MSFS2020 corrected its FD operation for its default aircraft - oh well.

Country
unitedkingdom
FTSS, there are plenty of good simulations of Cessnas (and other GA aircraft) available for all of the sims, and the investment required is not outrageous. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head whether the FDs in the default aircraft in MSFS behave prototypically, but there is much to recommend that sim otherwise - and it will only get better. The thing is, the simulator program is like the baseboard of a model railway; it's the support framework for a collection of scenery and machinery which is individual to you and what you like. If you want the program to provide you with an extremely high level of accuracy in the simulation out of the box, you're going to be disappointed. But that level of fidelity can be obtained, and is well worth the effort and investment. Yes, if you want a wide range of high-fidelity aircraft, you're going to have to spend a good deal of cash - not least on the computer to run them. But the huge number of people involved in this hobby - a fair few, like me, with lots of experience of flying aircraft like the 747, A340, C130, and lots of others - is testament to what you can get out of it. And I did use PMDG and Aerosoft products to help prepare for some check flights. They are that good.

Country
us-indiana
Well... I just got done watching a video on MSFS2020 (
) and watching the FD was disappointing. [I digress - I hadn't planned on watching anything about MSFS2020 but using my Roku tv, I went to youtube to watch Leonid and Friends (a Chicago cover band) and youtube recommended the above video - how did youtube recommend that???]. Notice that in about the 6-minute time frame, the FD shows a command to the left but it can be seen that the pilot needs to and does, make the correction to the right to align with the centerline of the runway. A real FD (or properly programmed FD) would have shown that a bank command to the right is required to align. Picture attached. It behaves exactly like the FD's since FS2002 - no improvement. What's more disappointing is I addressed this to the MSFS2020 people about a year before the final product was released. Yes, the scenery is remarkable. It could use some improvement on the ground traffic. Some vehicles, and even boats run into each other which simply just looks weird. Thank goodness for people uploading MSFS2020 to allow evaluation of it. I do appreciate the work that went into the weather aspects as well. The instruments have a crisp display in VC mode. I haven't seen any videos that show a 2D panel. I don't use VC as it seems to take away the realism. I find panning the instruments awkward. In my setup, all my instruments are external using FSUIPC, in addition to the hardware I've accumulated through the years, so the 2D view works best for me. At least for the time being, the video bought me some time. I can see I'll need a pretty "decked out"
MS2020 FD is incorrect.jpg
computer to run it smoothly.

Country
unitedkingdom
Well... I just got done watching a video on MSFS2020 (
) and watching the FD was disappointing. [I digress - I hadn't planned on watching anything about MSFS2020 but using my Roku tv, I went to youtube to watch Leonid and Friends (a Chicago cover band) and youtube recommended the above video - how did youtube recommend that???]. Notice that in about the 6-minute time frame, the FD shows a command to the left but it can be seen that the pilot needs to and does, make the correction to the right to align with the centerline of the runway. A real FD (or properly programmed FD) would have shown that a bank command to the right is required to align. Picture attached. It behaves exactly like the FD's since FS2002 - no improvement. What's more disappointing is I addressed this to the MSFS2020 people about a year before the final product was released. Yes, the scenery is remarkable. It could use some improvement on the ground traffic. Some vehicles, and even boats run into each other which simply just looks weird. Thank goodness for people uploading MSFS2020 to allow evaluation of it. I do appreciate the work that went into the weather aspects as well. The instruments have a crisp display in VC mode. I haven't seen any videos that show a 2D panel. I don't use VC as it seems to take away the realism. I find panning the instruments awkward. In my setup, all my instruments are external using FSUIPC, in addition to the hardware I've accumulated through the years, so the 2D view works best for me. At least for the time being, the video bought me some time. I can see I'll need a pretty "decked out"View attachment 73023 computer to run it smoothly.
You obviously don’t know anything about Airbus! This pilot is not flying any kind of instrument approach. The FDs are slaved to Altitude and Heading, so in reality they shouldn’t even be on in this circumstance as the pilot is flying a visual approach (from the still picture it appears to be 27 at Gibraltar, neither runway of which has an instrument approach other than GPS).

There is no 2D panel in MSFS

Country
us-indiana
It's true, I don't know anything about Airbus. But I have seen the FD behave this way no matter what the aircraft or its associated FD in the previous FS'. I also didn't realize that Gilbratar didn't have an ILS approach. Youtube recommended this video, even though I was actually looking for Leonid & Friends. I notice that the FD was on and AP was off but I also don't know whether the (if it had an ILS) Nav radio was properly tuned. Also, I am having a difficult time finding a youtube video that shows flight sim and real aircraft cockpit views of landings that spend time on the actual instruments. In addition, as is the normal procedure, the autopilot is turned off about 400 to 500 feet agl so the landing is pretty well established and stable so there isn't much deviation to see. No 2D!!! Wow, that is interesting and highly disappointing - thank you for that information.

I do not know what is meant by "uploading videos." I did not UPLOAD anything other than the picture attached! I just typed (actually copied and pasted) in the webpage and when I hit the [Post reply] button, the video came up.

Another disappointing thing about FS2020 is there seems to be no "runway effect" on takeoff and especially the landing. I use Excel and FSUIPC to provide this function, again, adds realism to the sim. And finally, on the sim's 747, looking at the ND, I did not see a position trend vector indicator. Yes, some aircraft (like iFly's 747) have it. Just another detail I thought FS2020 would see to upgrade <sigh>.

Country
unitedkingdom
Criticising the program from a position of ignorance about the program, the aircraft and the airfield being simulated has no weight whatsoever. There is almost nowhere to start an answer that will educate you.

Either buy the program and try it out (with the inherent limitations of default aircraft which are present in all flight sims) or stick with what you have. Your choice. But criticising from your position of lack of knowledge about both simulation and aviation is a waste of time.

Country
us-indiana
In the first place, I was just initially inquiring about MSFS2020. Anyone inquiring a subject is, of course, ignornant of that subject (you don't know the meaning of ignorant). I'm criticizing because for all the "hoopla" about MSFS2020, in my opinion of what I have observed thus far, the developers did not correct (or paying attention to detail) some (and I'm sure there are more) things that where issues or lack of features in the previous versions. Yes, the scenery and instrument graphics are amazing but that's about it. It was reported here, no 2D panel. I'm not seeing the position trend vector indicator on the ND's and stall indicator (stall feathers) on the PFD's that is common plane with real Boeing aircraft (or a good addon), no runway bumping affect with any aircraft. Runway effect is important to some. Speaking of, the FSPS store sells an FSX Runway Bumbing Effect addon but it only works in VC, not 2D. Again, I use 2D so that is why I wrote one using Excel. Check this this webpage on youtube (again, only typing in the webpage):

This is great but talking to the author of that video, the runway vibration was a "post video" technique. In other words, he added the vibration effect after recording the flight sim video - wonderful work though. And finally, I'd be willing to bet, even after assuming incorrectly the Nav was set up for the ILS and observing the behavior of the FD on the approach into Gilbratar, that the proper FD operation for a manual ILS approach into an airport that has an ILS was not fixed in MSFS2020. Also, and this is not being ignorant, I saw the ai vehicles do weird things. I'm not so much as critical as I am disappointed. Finally, I'm not critical for other people, I asked about MSFS features that I was interested in seeing as an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.